PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blk Ammo Preferences

DeviantLogic
4 November 2016, 15:22
So I'm fairly new to the 300Blk game, and I'm looking at getting some assorted ammo to test out in both supers and subs, with the main goal of figuring out what I want to stock up on for range time. I'll eventually reload for the 300Blk, but don't really have time at the moment.

Do you guys have any manufactured 300Blk ammo that you prefer? Any ammo that you've had bad experiences with? Any feedback would be appreciated!

alamo5000
4 November 2016, 16:59
I don't own a 300 BLK yet so I have no comment on that, but as for reloading (which I think would be a must for long term 300 BLK shooting) people always assume it's some crazy time guzzler. Don't get me wrong it does take time, but as I have done it more and more I am honing my organization skills. The amount of ammo I can reload is getting a lot faster sheerly from organizing how I work better, and of course using the right equipment.

Basically it's not just about putting the bullets together but how your total workflow is. In my opinion brass prep is the most time consuming part. Once you get your brass ready you could prime and reload a case of ammo in just a few hours.

I kind of look at reloading itself as a hobby just as much as I do shooting.

Whenever you get ready to try your hand at reloading maybe we can swap ideas or whatever about the most efficient ways to quickly (efficiently) reload ammo so you're not spending a bunch of extra time on it.

BoilerUp
4 November 2016, 17:11
I only shoot supers in my 300 right now since I don't have a can and terminal ballistics on subs in generally crap.

My HD load is the Barnes TAC-TX 110gr and I prefer to "plink" with ammunition that has similar ballistics, so I like the S&B 124gr FMJ which can be had for around .5/rnd if you can find it.

The Fiocchi 150 gr and PNW Arms 147 gr stuff has worked well for me, too, and can be quite cost effective from time to time (PSA had the Fiocchi for $20 a box of 50 for a little bit but sold out fast; usually anything under $30 is decent).

If you are shooting for groups at any distance, the Remington 110 gr OTFB can also be quite accurate and runs around $16/box at Walmart. The S&B 124gr should be quite accurate, too, but I really haven't shot for groups with that ammo yet (my 300 isn't really set up for that role).

DeviantLogic
4 November 2016, 17:40
I don't own a 300 BLK yet so I have no comment on that, but as for reloading (which I think would be a must for long term 300 BLK shooting) people always assume it's some crazy time guzzler. Don't get me wrong it does take time, but as I have done it more and more I am honing my organization skills. The amount of ammo I can reload is getting a lot faster sheerly from organizing how I work better, and of course using the right equipment.

Basically it's not just about putting the bullets together but how your total workflow is. In my opinion brass prep is the most time consuming part. Once you get your brass ready you could prime and reload a case of ammo in just a few hours.

I kind of look at reloading itself as a hobby just as much as I do shooting.

Whenever you get ready to try your hand at reloading maybe we can swap ideas or whatever about the most efficient ways to quickly (efficiently) reload ammo so you're not spending a bunch of extra time on it.

Thanks...I already reload several calibers (5.56, .308, .45 ACP, .40 S&W). I just don't have time to do much reloading at the moment...several projects at work and around the house, plus football on Saturdays [BD]. For now I'm just going to collect the brass until I have a decent stack going.

din
4 November 2016, 18:15
ADI's stuff is good. You can find it on sale at Cabela's from time to time.

tact
4 November 2016, 19:12
Gorilla subs and supers.

Joelski
5 November 2016, 06:57
Freedom Munitions has the cheapest plinking ammo I've been able to find. Their 147 gr. Runs between .38 and .48/round and is great for general shooting. It's not match grade, home defense stuff, but for bulk shooting at the construction company dump (awesome for plinking), it's the bomb. Problem is, everybody knows about them and they're always out of stock, but you can get a notice when stock is back up.

Edit: I forgot to mention FM sells by lots of 50, so there is nothing out there that beats their prices, hence the always out of stock thing. "Wish I'd have kept it to myself" x everybody that's ever commented how good and inexpensive it is...

SINNER
6 November 2016, 01:18
Super's the Barnes 110gr. Tac-Tx is by far the most accurate factory ammo in all of my Blackouts. Subsonic the Remington 220 OTM is very quiet suppressed. The Hornady 208gr Amax is more accurate but has more of a defined "pop" from every can/rifle combo I've used.

RiverRat
6 November 2016, 08:01
Do you guys have any manufactured 300Blk ammo that you prefer?

For new manufacture supers, you might try looking at Remington UMC reference number L300AAC1. It's a 120 gr OTFB that's really a Barnes round (brass, bullet and labor) and might be the only UMC SKU that I would ever recommend. The best deal today is $16 a box at Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rifle-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/remington-reg-umc-174-rifle-ammo/740358.uts) with $5 flat rate shipping. This round also tends to show up at Walmart, if you just want to test out a single box before committing to a larger chunk.

For higher volume use, Cabela's is also still carrying ADI 144 FMJ for $14 per 20 round box (http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rifle-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/australian-defense-300-blackout-ammunition/2031413.uts) with the same shipping option. I've had good luck with all the ADI I've shot so far, though some of their loads (e.g., .223 Rem 69gr SMK) tend to be loaded a lighter than I would like. Great packaging and well priced though.

DeviantLogic
6 November 2016, 20:39
Thanks for the input guys!

For supers - Yesterday I ordered a couple hundred rounds each of Rem. Hog Hammer 130's and Fed. American Eagle 150's from Midway...got the Hog Hammers on sale for $1.00/round. There's a Cabela's a few miles away from me, and planning on getting by there tomorrow to pick up some of the Rem UMC and ADI that you guys recommended.

For subs - I already have on-hand some Rem UMC 220's and SiCo Harvester 220's that I got on the cheap earlier this year. Still want to get some others to test out.

Going to keep my eyes out for deals on Gorilla, and availability for S&B and Freedom Munitions.

Former11B
7 November 2016, 05:01
Gemtech makes some pretty popular subsonic rounds in 187gr and 220gr

Freedom Munitions stocks sub and supersonic 300BLK ammo; most of their stuff gets bought immediately, so you have to be on the ball to get it. I think they have pretty decent prices so people watch it for in-stock notifications regularly.

usbp379
7 November 2016, 16:31
PNW Arms 147gr stuff is decent as is the Fiocchi 147. I've also been pleased with the Remington 120gr stuff from Walmart.

For reloads my two favorite bullets are the Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter and the 125gr Speer TNT. Both shoot well and give a trajectory that's more along the lines of 110gr factory stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

dgod
14 November 2016, 05:23
My limited experience with 300AAC is that to shoot subs, you must use heavy bullets. My first subs were 220gr ELD-x, I realized that I was shooting a high quality bullet as a playing/learning bullet. I Shoot 110gr up to 150gr bullets as Super Sonic, 200 FMJ are borderline prolly better at Supersonic. 220gr Bullets, and I also cast bullets, so I have a 235gr BT, that is working great.

Remember, if Reloading 300 Blkout/AAC/Whistper (All the same now), the bullets will load a LOT better if they are Boat Tail, flat bottom bullets will ruin some of the brass, for me is was about 15% were chrushed because the flat bottom couldn't be started.

I got a Jap 7mm Bulllet Sizer/Deprimer by Lee, cut about 1/2" off the Depriming end, I now have a 300 AAC Case Expander. And the Flat Botttoms will fit into the case now.

Good Luck
Dan

dgod
21 November 2016, 06:31
You might rethink the "Reloading " approach. I am currently reloading with 230gr cast BTRN bullets that are running 995fps, accuracy is good, and they (With my Brass) are about $0.10 each. Sure makes it cost effective, if there is a concern with leading, Gas Checks add $0.03, but my experience is that leading is not an issue until you approach 1500 fps or more.

I reload a LOT of different calibers, 9mm, 357, 45ACP, 45LC, 5.56, 243, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300WM, casting for 9mm, 45ACP/45LC (different Sizers), 5.56, 30-30/308/30-06/300WM (All 30 Caliber).

I have also had good luck with Hornady 150gr Subs, locally at $24.95 for box of 20, I don't especially like $1.25 ammo for plinking, so I keep it handy for my AR Pistol and Can in the house.

Good Luck
Dan

Joelski
21 November 2016, 18:44
Freedom has 147 gr right now. .59/round for new and reman for .47/round. I have personally tested their .223/5.56 of various design in both and there is little differnce or performance advantage with new over reman for plinking and run and gun type stuff. I use it, its clean and I haven't had a FTF or FTE in over 3,000 rounds between my 5.56 and .300 BLK rifles.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/rifle/300-aac-blackout.html

titanse05
22 November 2016, 04:37
MidwayUSA has S&B 300 BLK Subsonic cases in stock. Hard to beat for $0.60 per round for subs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/878538/sellier-and-bellot-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-subsonic-200-grain-full-metal-jacket