PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas for Something Different?

FortTom
6 November 2016, 16:59
After my last build, I decided it would be my last. I even gave one away to a relative. I was going through a box of "stuff" Saturday, and lo and behold, I found a new stripped lower that I had stashed away, and most of the parts to finish it, sans a trigger. I was torn between just pretending I didn't see the stuff, but had the creeping feeling I wouldn't.

Problem is I have 5 AR's and a LR-10. All the AR's were purpose built, from as sturdy as a bull, to very light weight. All the AR's are 5.56. I'm kind of covered, and maybe a bit bored but I can't think of anything else to do. Any suggestions?

Here's what I don't want.
No NFA stuff, I don't want to be married to it, and honestly, except for a can, just don't have a need for it. SBR's are out of the question.

Caliber. I gave away the last of my reloading gear when I bought my current home (a Condo) and just didn't want to fill a room with gear and my garage just holds my car, bicycle and trash can. Is there anything readily available that will shoot through an AR action, without reloading, and doesn't cost $50 bucks a box for ammo? .300 BLK doesn't really do anything for me, personally. I can't think of anything different and useful, but open to ideas.

"Theme" based guns. Nah. Just not my style. No builds meant to purposely look like it was meant for the set of Star Wars either. No 3 Gun type builds.

A friend mentioned an AR pistol, but just don't do anything for me either.

That sort of narrows the options to pretty damned thin, but if anyone has anything else they'd recommend I'd be glad to hear it.

Or maybe I should just put the stuff back in a box and save it for a future date, when politics may make purchasing a stripped lower hard to do, or impossible.

So if you're willing to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
FT[:D]

alamo5000
6 November 2016, 17:32
A SOCOM build sounds kind of nice to me. It's just expensive as hell to shoot.

You could also build a dedicated .22LR plinker. I think they have conversion kits that use standard uppers.

FortTom
6 November 2016, 17:39
Yes, I thought about that, but it get's back to the $50 a box ammo range. I'm kind of retired from hunting, so would only shoot targets and two legged critters that were trying to shoot me. Thanks. It's still an option that I can keep in my back pocket though.

GOST
6 November 2016, 17:52
An AK, Tavor, SCAR or build a fancy Glock.

Stone
6 November 2016, 18:06
Sounds to me like you hit the precipice of rifle building. Seems like you need a new hobby like photography or rock climbing. There is more to life than firearms, some of us just seem to have forgotten that.[:D] What else do you like to do?

fledge
6 November 2016, 18:20
Based on all you shared, save it for the future.

Or consider a rimfire build.

UWone77
6 November 2016, 18:25
I vote for the AR pistol with a KAK Blade. Since you don't want to get into the NFA game, it's about as close to a SBR as you can get. 10.5 & 11.5" AR's are fun to shoot.

FortTom
6 November 2016, 18:29
An AK, Tavor, SCAR or build a fancy Glock.
Wake up GOST.... I don't have the skills to build any of that off of a stripped AR Lower[:D]

DeviantLogic
6 November 2016, 18:40
Looking at your collection here...http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?9540-Another-Arisaka-Harris-Bi-pod-mount

Maybe a dedicated precision 5.56 rifle?
Gas piston AR?
.22 LR (as alamo & fledge previously mentioned)?

If you don't have your mind made up on anything, nothing wrong with having an extra lower available. I'd probably go ahead and build out the lower so you could swap uppers if needed. For example, I'll sometimes change to a different lower that has another stock & trigger on it for bench shooting/sighting in.

GOST
6 November 2016, 18:54
Wake up GOST.... I don't have the skills to build any of that off of a stripped AR Lower[:D]

That's the point, put that lower up and try something new. Me personally I don't buy a lower and then try to think about what I can do with it. I come up with what I want then buy the lower, but that's me. I wouldn't just build on it cause you have it.

FortTom
6 November 2016, 19:25
Looking at your collection here...http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?9540-Another-Arisaka-Harris-Bi-pod-mount

Maybe a dedicated precision 5.56 rifle?
Gas piston AR?
.22 LR (as alamo & fledge previously mentioned)?

If you don't have your mind made up on anything, nothing wrong with having an extra lower available. I'd probably go ahead and build out the lower so you could swap uppers if needed. For example, I'll sometimes change to a different lower that has another stock & trigger on it for bench shooting/sighting in.

Yeah, and there's another, not in the picture.. So getting pretty boring. Gas Piston was something I had been kicking around, especially if I went the SOCOM route. Also, as you mentioned, I could just go ahead and assemble it and stash it away for a "who knows what" contingency.

FortTom
6 November 2016, 19:36
That's the point, put that lower up and try something new. Me personally I don't buy a lower and then try to think about what I can do with it. I come up with what I want then buy the lower, but that's me. I wouldn't just build on it cause you have it.
I did have plans for that when I bought it, but round filed them. I've got more pistols, rifles and shotguns that I can shoot now. I was actually thinking about selling some of the stuff in the safe. Anyway, I didn't buy it to have if I came up with an idea for it. I might do like DL mentioned and just assemble the lower, and have it for whatever... I think that's a better idea than just leaving the lower stripped with all of the parts, unassembled, in the safe, or wherever.

Thanks,
FT

SINNER
6 November 2016, 20:00
6.8SPC

Joelski
6 November 2016, 20:05
I want an ACR/Masada. Probably won't get one, but there's a lot of aftermarket fabricators making the gun what it should be.

Or have a fabricator make you a working copy of an XM-8 using a donor HK rifle as a base.

schambers
6 November 2016, 21:14
I vote for saving it for later. Sounds like you've reached AR saturation

Axlnut
6 November 2016, 22:11
Save for later, if you don't know what your going to build you're just going to rebuild it later..

My vote, commission an interesting gun (yes yes, AR's are interesting too) FAL, AK, 1911, M1A, etc. Not off the shelf mind you, but custom built for you.

Even if you don't have the tools or experience to build it yourself, it's quite satisfying to work with someone and select all the bits and pieces and personal touch. There's something special about a gun that one person crafted for you specifically, not just assembled.

FortTom
7 November 2016, 12:57
Thanks all. I'm thinking SOCOM or 6.8 SPC but leaning just put it away. As far as building or buying other pistols and rifles, I appreciate your inputs too, but this thread wasn't about that. I could do that anyway, if the right thing came across my table at the right price, but that wasn't really what this thread was about. I do have other guns, other than AR's and tactical "types" for hunting, target, wing shooting, and what have you, but didn't interject them into the conversation, as this is primarily an AR/Tactical forum, and not a lot of talk about love for pheasant hunting with a nice O/U shotgun, etc.

Thanks to all of you for your input - ideas,

Jerry R
7 November 2016, 13:34
There's something special about a gun that one person crafted for you specifically, not just assembled.

I could not agree more! It was a real pleasure working with Mr. Harrison on my Ruger SR1911 project.

GOST
7 November 2016, 13:37
FT feel free to discuss all types of guns here. Cause this isn't primarily an AR/Tactical forum, it's an everything that goes bang forum. While some here are LEO and military, a lot of us here are just plain old civilians like me. But the one thing we all have in common is we love our toys.

tact
7 November 2016, 15:23
6.5 CM.

Axlnut
7 November 2016, 15:28
I could not agree more! It was a real pleasure working with Mr. Harrison on my Ruger SR1911 project.

That's yours?

I took a ton of inspiration from that gun on two pistols now (one a SR1911). One of my favorite Harrison's. He really nailed your pistol.

FortTom
7 November 2016, 16:00
FT feel free to discuss all types of guns here. Cause this isn't primarily an AR/Tactical forum, it's an everything that goes bang forum. While some here are LEO and military, a lot of us here are just plain old civilians like me. But the one thing we all have in common is we love our toys.
Oh, I figured it's o.k., GOST, no one would complain, I think. I was just making the point that I do love and shoot other firearms platforms, for the people who suggest I try something other than a 1911, HK, AK, etc. That's all. I know people talk about their bolt action rifles, rimfires, shotguns, revolvers, pistols etc.. especially around hunting season. I love a nice custom bolt action and the inherent accuracy that you can squeeze out of them, and have or have had, several built from the actions up, to fit my every taste.

So, I was just addressing the point that I wasn't considering other firearms types at this time, just that I found a "forgotten" lower, and just wanted to nudge the thread back towards AR platforms. That's all. BTW, I saved my vacation money for about the last three years, and am seriously considering a hunt in Africa next year. I sold a beautiful .375 H&H just because I wasn't using it, and except for birds and small game am pretty much retired from hunting, and might be in the market for another, or a 40 plus cal. for a cape buffalo. Don't know if any of it is going to happen or not, but it's seriously an unchecked hunt on my bucket list.[:D]

din
7 November 2016, 18:23
6.5 Grendel. You can find Amax on sale for around 18 bucks a box if you're patient, and ring steel out past 1000 with it.

ksenter
24 November 2016, 17:22
junk/trunk gun? Assembled from good used parts, pre-worn. See how inexpensively you can assemble a quality rifle using others disposables or unwanted goods. Can be another 5.56. If parts dont match, ok. If something is scratched, ok. Good reason to toss it in a trunk and just roll. If it doesnt fit someones "interest" or agenda, so what. Beater AR

FortTom
25 November 2016, 03:26
junk/trunk gun? Assembled from good used parts, pre-worn. See how inexpensively you can assemble a quality rifle using others disposables or unwanted goods. Can be another 5.56. If parts dont match, ok. If something is scratched, ok. Good reason to toss it in a trunk and just roll. If it doesnt fit someones "interest" or agenda, so what. Beater AR

I get where you're coming from, but all of mine were built to be "beaters", eventually. Most are still in pretty amazing shape, considering, but I don't build the Barbie guns, and if they get scratched, so be it.

Still not a bad idea for someone with one weapon, or one really expensive build, or whatever. Also, while I don't worry about mine getting scratched up, I don't intentionally beat them to death. Reminds me of a you tube video where two yahoo's were chucking theirs, javelin style, down a gravel road to see who's can survive with the least damage. I get more pissed when I break something...than wear and tear.

Anyway, I think we've (a bud who is going to do most or all the machining) got an idea, either a SOCOM or one of the .50 Cal's. Maybe start in January.

Joelski
25 November 2016, 08:37
Build something and give it to a friend. Put the time and money into it that you would normally spend on a reliable, modestly priced (read: neither the cheapest, nor the most expensive) gun for a family member, but give it to a friend who admires your collection, or maybe can't afford to run with the rest of the pack at your shooting club.

ShooterScott
11 January 2017, 13:30
Build something and give it to a friend. Put the time and money into it that you would normally spend on a reliable, modestly priced (read: neither the cheapest, nor the most expensive) gun for a family member, but give it to a friend who admires your collection, or maybe can't afford to run with the rest of the pack at your shooting club.

If you're looking build an upper and lower receiver, which can be kind of tricky. Here's an ok post that I found that gives step by step instruction:

Mod Edit, this thread has nothing to do with step by step building instructions.

UWone77
11 January 2017, 13:53
If you're looking build an upper and lower receiver, which can be kind of tricky. Here's an ok post that I found that gives step by step instruction:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-how-to-build-an-ar15-lower-receiver-safety.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-how-to-build-an-ar15-upper-receiver.html

What are you? the Optics Planet Shill?

SINNER
11 January 2017, 14:07
Has to be.