PDA

View Full Version : Odd Grain 9mm?

alamo5000
25 November 2016, 10:02
I just bought a bunch of 9mm (124 and 147 grain) bullets but when I was shopping around I saw 135 grain and 165 grain bullets.

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever experimented with these odd grain bullet weights (reloaded or not)?

I am sure they will all shoot but what (if anything) do these particular weight bullets excel at?

Any thoughts, ideas, or results to report?

Former11B
25 November 2016, 10:28
165gr might be more suited in a carbine; definitely want to make sure it stabilizes

The 135 might be suited as a compromise between 124 and 147gr....instead of one load for plinking (or power factor) and one for suppressed, just use one for all. I've got too many "Standard" weight bullets to switch at the moment

Uffdaphil
25 November 2016, 20:23
I've got a case of 165gr on the way. Mainly to ensure subsonic in a 16" AR. I read that 147 velocity is iffy in longer barrels. I'll certainly try them in my P226 with can too.

Federal 124+P HST is my preference for carry. Got on sale, but have not tried yet, some American Eagle 124g "suppressor" ammo. Can't help thinking they are minimal loads only good for targets. But.I'm no physicist. Maybe they have secret sauce cores.

alamo5000
25 November 2016, 20:47
I've got a case of 165gr on the way. Mainly to ensure subsonic in a 16" AR. I read that 147 velocity is iffy in longer barrels. I'll certainly try them in my P226 with can too.

Federal 124+P HST is my preference for carry. Got on sale, but have not tried yet, some American Eagle 124g "suppressor" ammo. Can't help thinking they are minimal loads only good for targets. But.I'm no physicist. Maybe they have secret sauce cores.

I carry Federal 124's as well. I stay away from +P rounds just by choice (taking into account the weapon I am using for daily carry).

I've seen a crap load of tests and this and that on ballistics gel tests or whatever and 124's seem to be the best overall for all that mundane pentration vs expansion test stuff. It's what I carry and now will be what I practice with now that I've shot up my 115gr stash.

The 147's have been extremely nice for my suppressed shooting. I've been shooting those more than anything lately.

I wouldn't trust those 165 grain bullets out of a pistol especially with a suppressor. I imagine Former11B is onto something there. With a carbine or something with a longer barrel it can still be subsonic. I didn't think of that.

The 135's though... would those be geared more towards a carbine as well? With a pistol I am still wondering what the perceived benefit is.

I can make 'subsonic' loads using all kinds of bullets. 115 grain can be loaded light enough to be subsonic but will it have enough power to cycle the gun? Probably not.

I got 147s initially because that's what I've heard worked and so far so good.

Uffdaphil
25 November 2016, 21:49
The 115s are the worst for me. Way too snappy. Luckily I'm almost out of them.

The old loaf is failing. It's 158, not 165g on the way.

alamo5000
25 November 2016, 22:07
The 115s are the worst for me. Way too snappy. Luckily I'm almost out of them.

The old loaf is failing. It's 158, not 165g on the way.

My daily carry is a Sig 938 mainly because it's small, reliable, comfortable, and it will get the job done. That said put some +P in a small gun like that and you get yourself some extra snippyness.

I value accuracy and follow up shots myself. I have found through just shooting regular P and +P in that gun that regular P cycles the gun better and more reliably IMO. I also figure if I were ever needing to shoot some asshole that a regular P 124 grain would probably change an attitude. Before all that though the best weapon is my brain.

That little gun will handle 115's no problem. 124's are excellent. But when you get to 147 or +P it's not really needed or doesn't function 'as well' in that gun.

I am starting basically to form the opinion that the 135 grain is sort of a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Maybe I'm wrong.

I get the whole notion of 165 gr 9mm for a longer barrel. That totally makes sense. If I ever get a hi-point I might load some of them up.

Stone
26 November 2016, 08:45
I carry with Federal Tactical bonded 135+p. Excellent all around defensive round. The 124+p HST's are a little snappy and the 147s were a little slow for me. Its a great mid weight contender. I like to lean towards the heavier end for all calibers. Its just a sweet spot for me.

Joelski
26 November 2016, 10:10
I use 124 grain Hornady XTP to train and carry 135 Grain Critical Duty standard loads. Not a lot of difference in feel.