PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5CR part 2

Sequim Shooter
27 November 2016, 23:53
I shot my first group of the bag at one inch grid targets. I was happy.

Then Sak007 shot a nice group. He wasn't happy..

Then we went to the other side for longer range hits on the gongs.

We chronographed loads and entered data into the log book. It was fun working up load development with a new to me cartridge.

I started out with the 200, then 300, then 400. It took a bit to figure out the 500. I had the incorrect data entered and was anxious. Sak007 got me settled in and the correct data entered.
It was so much fun I did not want to stop shooting the 500yd gong.

The Applied Ballistics program was right on the money! I entered data for my suppressed 16" 300 Blackout Handi rifle and was hitting steel at 350 yards. That was a blast!

Next time we are hitting the 1000.

BoilerUp
28 November 2016, 06:32
Nice. What range is that? Is it open to the public?

alamo5000
28 November 2016, 18:49
Good job man! I can tell you that the first time you bang that 1000 yard gong it's pretty euphoric. I haven't tried it with a 6.5 bullet of any type but I would like to give it a go for sure.

I got to finger bang a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 Ruger Precision for the first time Saturday. It seems pretty nice. I'm still not sure which setup I'm going to get or even which rifle...but my goal is to bang out a 1400 yard plate. That's as far as we have without having to setup and hang an extra plate or two.

I can get one out to a mile but that's just insane going that far. I am itching to get a gun that can stretch out like that though.

Money's tight right now and things aren't going too hot but hopefully I can get into that game eventually.

Sequim Shooter
28 November 2016, 19:08
Alamo500,
I am definitely hooked now!
I am understanding the importance about ballistic coefficient now.
This rifle shoots so soft. I could stay at the range all day.
My web searches are filled with Bryan Litz how to vids, Snipers Hide, Mile High Shooting, and Triad Tactical. [:D]

alamo5000
28 November 2016, 19:18
Alamo500,
I am definitely hooked now!
I am understanding the importance about ballistic coefficient now.
This rifle shoots so soft. I could stay at the range all day.
My web searches are filled with Bryan Litz how to vids, Snipers Hide, Mile High Shooting, and Triad Tactical. [:D]

http://precisionrifleblog.com/

Poke around there some. The author of that blog co wrote a book or two with Bryan Litz. Lots and lots of useful information there. I did my 1000+ yard shots with a .308. I am itching to try something better at the long range game.

Now you got me all excited! LOL

Sequim Shooter
2 December 2016, 20:59
That site has some great stuff on it. The Bryan Litz Long Range Shooting videos were on the first page.
Sak007 brought them over to get me started.

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 05:23
I've done a fair amount of reading about a lot of stuff related to long range. I am definitely hooked too. I am glad to see another person as excited as I am about it.

I can bang on the gongs out to 800 yards with my 16" AR15. All my shooting beyond that has been done with borrowed guns that weren't always set up right or whatever. My financial situation isn't horrid but it's not good either but I am dying over here to build or buy a rifle that is tailored to my likes and wants. I think I could get something that can stretch out to 1400-1600 yards or so and not cost an arm and a leg to shoot it.

The bigger calibers like .338 and .50 are a bit too rich for my blood. I forgot who it was but someone here turned me on to .260 and for now that is my first choice.

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 05:33
I can't remember if you said so or not, but are you also going to reload? I don't know if you already do or not.

Sequim Shooter
3 December 2016, 09:17
There were a few serious shooters up at the range the last time we were there. They let us shoot their .50 Barrett and custom 300 RUM. It was fun, but I think I will stick with this soft shooting 6.5CR.

I am reloading now. I just went through the second round of load development. I am happy with the Hornady ELD-M 140 bullet , but I am thinking about switching to a Berger Hybrid. There is plenty of Hornady brass and bullets available here. I have 400 6.5 cases to start with.

Joelski
3 December 2016, 11:42
I can get one out to a mile but that's just insane going that far.

Why? It's only another quarter mile over your goal. ;)

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 12:23
Why? It's only another quarter mile over your goal. ;)

HAAHAA!! Funny guy! LOL! I am open for discussion though!! That's for sure.

A 140 grain 6.5 bullet goes transonic right about the 1500 yard mark and that's assuming you're getting decent velocity with a really good BC bullet. Knowing what happens to a bullet that goes transonic is above my pay grade and I am pretty nerdy about that stuff. I guess a mile would be a good goal LOL

At 1400 yards with a 6.5 bullet you're looking at around 50 ish MOA correction. At a mile you need about another 25+ MOA in your scope, and that is assuming each of those clicks is accurate.

At a mile a 24 inch square plate will be a spec in your scope. 1.3 MOA to be exact. Then you got mirage and all that...plus wind...at best you're making an educated guess.

When I get the gun built (or bought) I will definitely give it a go. I am all for that challenge. [:D]

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 12:25
That site has some great stuff on it. The Bryan Litz Long Range Shooting videos were on the first page.
Sak007 brought them over to get me started.

By the way how did you find those videos? I have been considering buying some of his books.

Sequim Shooter
3 December 2016, 19:03
Sak007 purchased them and brought them over. I am lucky to have good friends. Hopefully he will show up here with an answer.

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 19:10
Sak007 purchased them and brought them over. I am lucky to have good friends. Hopefully he will show up here with an answer.

When I said 'how did you find them' I didn't mean how did you buy them... I mean were they any good? Did you find it interesting, boring, cool, or whatever? What was the general theme of it all? Kind of academic or more entertaining or what...

LOL

That's what I meant...I might buy a set of videos or books or both eventually if its something worth it.

Sequim Shooter
3 December 2016, 20:11
LOL.
I have made it through the first set. It covers the basics, gear, math and wind. I am looking forward to watching the second set.

I am going out tomorrow for more load development. I want to try out some of the things that were talked about in volume 1.

My bipod does not cant. That is the first thing I am fixing.

I need a rear squeeze bag.

I need to figure out my hold overs on my scope.

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 20:15
LOL.
I have made it through the first set. It covers the basics, gear, math and wind. I am looking forward to watching the second set.

I am going out tomorrow for more load development. I want to try out some of the things that were talked about in volume 1.

My bipod does not cant. That is the first thing I am fixing.

I need a rear squeeze bag.

I need to figure out my hold overs on my scope.

I have a link to Hornady's online ballistic calculator on my phone. You also need a weather app. If you're not taking into account the temperature in your calculations you're going to get frustrated, especially the farther out you go.