PDA

View Full Version : LaRue MBT-2S

JGifford
29 November 2016, 17:20
***I will preface this review by saying that I am not a LaRue fan. In fact, I categorize myself as ANTI-LaRue, because of their business practices, as well as Mark LaRue, personally. The only reason I bought this trigger was because an industry professional requested that I do, and evaluate it.***

The LaRue MBT arrived with the traditional SWAG all LaRue orders do. Pamphlets, DVD's, cooking spices, bumper stickers that discriminate against troops that aren't "Snipers", etc.

The packaging was simple and effective. All the requisite parts were inside the container safely, including a "Heavy" trigger spring. The "regular" was installed.

Installation was very easy, courtesy of the pinned disco. The safety did have to be removed from the weapon to install the trigger, just be 1/2 a mm or so. No way around it (DDM4 lower, USGI safety).

Once installed, I replaced the upper and charged the weapon and dry fired it a good bit. The first stage is not remarkable, but the second stage is, for lack of a better term, amazing. I have owned SSA's, shot SSA-E's, and have a Super - V, as well as having felt AR Gold triggers, and the like.

The second stage felt like a very heavy version of the AR Gold's trigger break. It's just crisp as hell. It's like taking a shot of the best moonshine around when you expected to get water. BAM! It just HITS!

Like I said, I am actively anti-LaRue, and I wanted to say this trigger sucked, but I cannot be honest and do that. The second stage is the center stage, and the show going on is the best one I've seen.

*I did try the regular spring and the "heavy". I prefer the feel of the "heavy", and it makes the second stage feel a hair crisper, I believe. Trigger pull trace graphs that I believe Mark LaRue or one of his flunkies posted show that the 2nd stage is every so slightly more precise with it, as well. To my finger, the regular spring is a hair lighter than a Geissele SSA, and the Heavy string is a hair heavier. But it's CRISP and CLEAN and there is just fiiirrsstttt staaaggee...wallBREAK. It's my interpretation of a perfect 2 stage trigger pull.

That said, how does it SHOOT?

Well, I took my DDM4 out to the range, and shot some 75gr Gold Dot. I think my worst group of the day was around 1.5 MOA, and my best 10-shot group was just a HAIR over 1MOA. That's right. 10-shots from a CHF/Chrome lined barrel with over 5,000 down the tube, using a 4x optic, into 1.0X" at 100 yards. Either this lot of 75gr GDSP is KILLER, or the trigger that I replaced my Super V Geissele with is cutting 0.25-.5 MOA off my groups. I am honestly inclined to credit the trigger. The weapon went "bang" EXACTLY when I wanted it to. Each and every time.

All-in-all, it's the best $100 trigger on the market, and I'd honestly take it over a Geissele SSA at this point. However, my one quibble with it is that the wide trigger face is very minimally beveled on the side, and the face is flat, not rounded toward the edges. This makes for a few pressure points on the trigger finger. To me, it reminded me of a non-modified Glock frame on the second knuckle, although not quite as obtrusive. That said, I have heard it opined that the "pressure points" created by this help remind you to and help you to place your trigger finger on the trigger, identically each time. Regardless of whether this is excuse, or fact, I have never shot groups this good with this rifle before, and I find myself sitting around dinking the trigger just to feel that second stage wall snap as crisply as the fingers of a high-dollar Madam kicking off a tirade at a girl that's been holding out on giving her her cut.

Aragorn
29 November 2016, 17:42
Gonna remember this next time I need a trigger. Actually, the wife's gun needs something better than the Mil-Spec that's in it... Hmmm

UWone77
29 November 2016, 17:43
LaRue has an interesting pricing model. Originally $250, then $99, but if you wait for it. If you need it immediately it's another $75. I say interesting because they permanently devalued their product. They'll never sniff $250 again.

Anyhow, thanks for the overview. Might try one out eventually for $99 though.

Aragorn
29 November 2016, 17:45
Wtf? I just saw this on their sight. An extra 75$ to have them ship you one that's in stock? Seriously? Who thought THAT was a good idea?

UWone77
29 November 2016, 17:46
Wtf? I just saw this on their sight. An extra 75$ to have them ship you one that's in stock? Seriously? Who thought THAT was a good idea?

Like I said odd pricing model. I do love me some Dillo Dust though.

Aragorn
29 November 2016, 17:48
Apparently it's possible to roll your eyes hard enough that it hurts.

Where do you see one for 99$? I'm showing 125$ on their site.

UWone77
29 November 2016, 17:49
Apparently it's possible to roll your eyes hard enough that it hurts.

Where do you see one for 99$? I'm showing 125$ on their site.

Sorry, that was their BF price.

Aragorn
29 November 2016, 17:50
^^^Oh, roger that.

JGifford
29 November 2016, 17:53
I personally think LaRue is undercutting himself without a care in the world for the simple satisfaction of doing trigger-combat with Bill G. Like I said, I am not a LaRue fan, but this product is a winner.

UWone77
29 November 2016, 17:58
I personally think LaRue is undercutting himself without a care in the world for the simple satisfaction of doing trigger-combat with Bill G. Like I said, I am not a LaRue fan, but this product is a winner.

Yeah, it's somewhat entertaining to see he and Bill go at it on arfcom about Bill making mounts, so Mark had to make triggers. All pretty petty. Just worry about yourself... but then again I don't run a multi-million dollar operation.

BoilerUp
29 November 2016, 18:51
They'll never sniff $250 again.

Likewise, I'm pretty much trained to not buy a Geissele product for anything less than 25% off.

fledge
29 November 2016, 19:08
I have an ARGold on one rifle and it is amazing. Not only a clean break but a minimal reset. How's the reset on the Larue?

JGifford
29 November 2016, 19:19
I have an ARGold on one rifle and it is amazing. Not only a clean break but a minimal reset. How's the reset on the Larue?

The reset length is much longer than the AR Gold, but it is VERY snappy. The AR gold has less travel in all ways. The only way the MBT is like it, is in the crispness of the break.

fledge
29 November 2016, 20:09
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a solid value proposition by comparison where it matters. The AR Gold is $280 ($240 on BF).

JGifford
29 November 2016, 20:28
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a solid value proposition by comparison where it matters. The AR Gold is $280 ($240 on BF).

I personally don't like the Gold. Too light. Too little trigger movement.

VIPER 237
29 November 2016, 20:45
I personally don't like the Gold. Too light. Too little trigger movement.

Same here, it doesn't give the shooter much feedback.

fledge
29 November 2016, 22:34
I love the Gold for my precision rifle. Wouldn't use it on a duty rifle.