PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite rail covers?

n4p226r
6 December 2016, 16:58
Doesn't matter what rail type it's for. Keymod. Mlok. Picatinny. Post pics and a description of what you like. I'm considering swapping out my noveske keymod for a noveske mlok just because the Nagpur mlok stuff feels nice from what I can tell.

Axlnut
6 December 2016, 17:18
LaRue index clips, Surefire Ladder covers, Transformer Grip panels, G10.

Aragorn
6 December 2016, 17:30
I'm a big fan of BCM's Keymod panels. They're thin at .100", easy on and easy off but will not come off by accident. Pretty grippy too, without being abrasive. Nice all around and don't have that chintzy feel that the Noveske panels do.

Here's some pics, the Arisaka mount gives some reference for thickness.

That said, I am planning on supplementing with a set of Railscales at 3, 6, and 9:00. I've never used them before, and I'd be adding them primarily for aesthetic reasons, but the slight increase in thickness will be welcome, as will be their more bite-y texture (but I also enjoy fairly aggressive textures).

https://www.railscales.us/pages/railscales-in-depth

Aragorn
6 December 2016, 17:32
LaRue index clips, Surefire Ladder covers, Transformer Grip panels, G10.

Oh yeah, what he said. LaRue index clips are the heat for picatinny, and you can see I have them on my top rail in my pics above. Also the mentioned Railscales are G10, though they also make a less expensive glass filled nylon version, albeit, in different lengths.

UWone77
6 December 2016, 18:16
Picatinny = Surefire Ladder covers
MLOK = Magpul Type 1
KeyMod = BCM

Axlnut
6 December 2016, 18:25
Still my absolute favorite.

When you really want G10 that adds almost zero width, so you have to design a little panel system, a forend to wear it, then license them to someone willing to make it.

After that you call David at Executive Ordnance and ask him real super nice to make some panels...

Buying stuff is just too easy for me [BD]

Uffdaphil
6 December 2016, 19:06
BCM for keymod
Cheapo ladders for picatinny
Strike Industries V1/V2 for MLOK

Those Railscales look fantastic and ought to for the big bucks. Their Honeycomb pattern is called Piranha on the Hogue G10 Sig grips. I iked the aggressive texture. Just know the sharp edges quickiy show wear on contact surfaces.

Aragorn
6 December 2016, 19:11
Those Railscales look fantastic and ought to for the big bucks. Their Honeycomb pattern is called Piranha on the Hogue G10 Sig grips. I iked the aggressive texture. Just know the sharp edges quickiy show wear on contact surfaces.

Also cheaper than the ones by VZ, and longer. Good to know about the wear, but that won't really bother me so long as they stay sharp.

n4p226r
6 December 2016, 19:12
Picatinny = Surefire Ladder covers
MLOK = Magpul Type 1
KeyMod = BCM

Those magpul covers you just posted on IG look great. I wonder if they are too thick though when added to the already thick rail

Joelski
6 December 2016, 19:16
Gloves. Way more versatile and they don't cover up the artistry of machine work.

n4p226r
6 December 2016, 19:24
Anyone know a place to pick up a set of surefire ladder covers in black?

GOST
6 December 2016, 19:50
I've never ordered from here, but they claim to have them in stock.

http://www.gycuniforms.com/z70-m4-rail-covers/32720/p

Sak007
7 December 2016, 00:34
Gloves. Way more versatile and they don't cover up the artistry of machine work.
I find that wearing gloves just doesn't feel as real and I don't get any feeling from wearing protection [emoji12]

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

bzdog
7 December 2016, 06:27
Still my absolute favorite.

When you really want G10 that adds almost zero width, so you have to design a little panel system, a forend to wear it, then license them to someone willing to make it.

After that you call David at Executive Ordnance and ask him real super nice to make some panels...

Buying stuff is just too easy for me [BD]

That's super-nice. Are these available somewhere? I did my own DIY G10 covers but it was a fair amount of work and I'd like to just buy them.

-john

EO3
7 December 2016, 09:05
Magpul Type 1! Extremely comfortable with great grip.

Calico Jack
7 December 2016, 09:25
I like the ladder style because I am cheap and I have not made the switch to key mod or mlok.

UWone77
7 December 2016, 09:51
I like the ladder style because I am cheap and I have not made the switch to key mod or mlok.

Triple Bravo must be hoarding all the MLOK Rails.

bzdog
7 December 2016, 11:16
DIY G10:

Axlnut
7 December 2016, 17:58
DIY G10:

Dude those are beautiful, nice work.

Mine are from Executive Ordnance, those panels are for the Manticore Transformer Rail(s), but you can also get:

https://executiveordnance.com/trax

Same pattern for Keymod.

bzdog
7 December 2016, 21:14
Thanks. Sweet, will check them out. No idea why there aren't more G10 options out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stone
8 December 2016, 05:56
Anyone know a place to pick up a set of surefire ladder covers in black?

Not 100% sure but I believe they were discontinued. Great product nonetheless.

Former11B
8 December 2016, 06:31
I like ladder rail covers for picatinny, KAC URX 3.1 rail panels, and I'd be interested to try Griffin's panel covers for my Parallax Tactical FFSSR rail.

gatordev
8 December 2016, 14:11
So dumb question: how were the SF ladder covers different from the Ergo/Magpul ladder covers?

Slippers
8 December 2016, 14:29
So dumb question: how were the SF ladder covers different from the Ergo/Magpul ladder covers?

Softer, more tacky, and they sit lower in the slots. They also have a chamfer in the middle of each "rung" on the "ladder" which allows for more contact on the Picatinny rail with your hand, providing way more grip.

Kind of hard to explain, but it almost feels like you get the grip of a bare quad rail (which is to say a great amount), but without all the sharp edges.

Ergo/Magpul covers are just covers. They make it harder to grip a quad rail in my opinion.

SINNER
8 December 2016, 14:39
Ive always preferred the ladder covers that Daniel Defense ships with their rails. No idea who makes those.

Calico Jack
8 December 2016, 15:02
Triple Bravo must be hoarding all the MLOK Rails.
I would to spend a hour or two in his parts closet. He has photographed some nice stuff.

gatordev
8 December 2016, 17:02
Softer, more tacky, and they sit lower in the slots. They also have a chamfer in the middle of each "rung" on the "ladder" which allows for more contact on the Picatinny rail with your hand, providing way more grip.

Kind of hard to explain, but it almost feels like you get the grip of a bare quad rail (which is to say a great amount), but without all the sharp edges.

Ergo/Magpul covers are just covers. They make it harder to grip a quad rail in my opinion.

No, that makes sense. I was wondering if they were more "grippier." Sitting lower seems like would help, as well with that.

Ive always preferred the ladder covers that Daniel Defense ships with their rails. No idea who makes those.

I'm pretty sure DD's covers are the same Ergo/Magpul covers. Personally, that's what I use most of the time, and they work great, but I can see why the SF covers would be an extra level of sexy.

Deadwing
11 December 2016, 04:37
I really like the BCM covers for KeyMod. I like them so much, that i ditched the Noveske covers on my NSR rails in favor of the BCM covers.

On a quad rail, basic ladder style covers work well. I also like the Knight's covers on rails that are designed to take them (KAC, DD RIS II, etc.).

I haven't found a cover i like for M-Lok rails yet.