PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls Design ABC/R-AA (Augmented Bolt Catch/Release-All Angles) Dimpled

GOST
13 December 2016, 21:10

What started out as an exercise in aesthetics that had its origin in user feedback and suggestion has become a wonderful ABC/R variant. We don't do things for looks, we're actually moving away from what might be considered blings with shiny finishes (never had too many of these to begin with), and concentrating strictly on defense/duty oriented products.

While the original horizontal serrations on the ABC/R paddles are very effective (they're optimized to mitigate 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock movements), when the the finger's approach angle changes closer to 45 degrees and more, the horizontal serrations effectiveness is diminished.

ABC/R-AA has three different dimple sizes and depths, 30 dimples total. Symmetry is nice but in this case, doesn't serve us well. In order to maximize the large surface area of the original ABC/R design, we tastefully packed in as many dimples as possible, but not too many. Sometimes more isn't better, and bigger isn't better either. Placement and the shape of the object matter a great deal.

What the dimpled pattern offers is all around traction, regardless of the finger's position on the paddle, it is simply indifferent to the angles and directions of the finger's movement.

MSRP $42.00

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-Augmented-Bolt-CatchRelease-for-AR15M16_p_24.html

Duffy
14 December 2016, 08:12
Thank you :) I thought you got your sample already [BD]

I appended the following to the article (as GOST posted above) on our site, http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-AA_ep_51-1.html

Credit for the dimpled paddles idea goes to the folks at Weapon Evolution. Thank you guys for encouraging us to do something different, which in turn compells us to break out and think outside of the norm. The dimpled paddles were somewhat challenging. It would have been easy to use a set of uniform dimple dimensions and simply blanket the paddle surface with it, but that would have been wasteful of the ample surface area the ABC/R design affords.

UWone77
14 December 2016, 08:29
I like the dimples!

velocity2006
14 December 2016, 12:34
Any plans to do an ABC/R with any other textures? (Thinking about being able to match other lower parts installed on some ambi billet lowers.) Would be stoked on one that is golfballed.

Crazy to see it come to fruition a little over a year after that post lol... No samples for me? [:D]

Josh S.
14 December 2016, 12:49
Any plans to do an ABC/R with any other textures? (Thinking about being able to match other lower parts installed on some ambi billet lowers.) Would be stoked on one that is golfballed.

^ I don't know what he's talking about. [crazy]

Duffy
14 December 2016, 13:44
There's "another" WEVO version in the works. You guys can justifiably consider the ABC/R-AA a WEVO version as well, the suggestion came from this board after all :P

Dstrbdmedic167
14 December 2016, 13:47
I like it @duffy Good Stuff. I may have to pick one up!

mustangfreek
15 December 2016, 18:16
Looks good!!

GOST
16 December 2016, 15:14
Super nice piece, pics don't do it justice. You guys are gonna really like this one.

Duffy
16 December 2016, 16:45
I'm glad you got yours! USPS this time of year is [crazy]

din
16 December 2016, 17:22
Mine showed up today, too, but I was on my way out the door for work so I'll have to wait until sometime this weekend to install it.

Stone
16 December 2016, 17:58
Lookin good Roger, really diggen the new design!

Duffy
16 December 2016, 20:08
Thank you guys! :D