PDA

View Full Version : 2016 WEVO Battle Kitty Giveaway - Build Thread

MCA
22 December 2016, 17:54
Well, thought I would get this thread started as I am excited for the build, very thankful for the opportunity, and welcome the insight and suggestions of my fellow WEVO members.

FIRST: A huge thank you to the WEVO forum, GOST, UWONE77, and all of the other admins/mods and members. I know it probably chaps some hides when a 50 post “newer” member wins a giveaway, especially one as special as the Battle Kitty. I wanted y’all to know that I am proud to be a member, check in daily to read up, and hope to become even more of a “participating” member with this build.

SECOND: Another huge thank you to Rainier Arms, CMT, Blowndeadline Custom and Arisaka Defense for their generosity in this giveaway and support of WEVO. What an awesome package. I will be doing my very best to use only WEVO vendors/sponsors for the build, even if I find it cheaper somewhere else.

LAST: I own 3 AR’s. Two Daniel Defense DDM4-V3’s and one Colt 6920 FDE…all factory built and purchased new. This will be my very first build, so please be gentle. I want to go “all-in” on this, do it right the first time, and do this Battle Kitty build proud. It will be the host for my new Griffin Recce 5 Mod 3 suppressor that I recently sprang from jail and have yet to mount or shoot.

That’s it for tonight. I am going to post up a list of parts that I already have for the build (finally get to put one of those enhanced or standard Fathom Arms BCG’s I bought to use) and a list of parts I am thinking of using. And of course there will be a list of all the things I’m forgetting/don’t know that I’m hoping you will chime in with.

Thank you again WEVO and thanks to my friend and fellow WEVO member @Former11B for his help with my first build. And yes, you can blame him for my win as he was the one that told me about this site a few years ago [:)]

alamo5000
22 December 2016, 19:37
What colors are you gonna cerakote the thing?

Congrats by the way. I think you're an excellent winner!

I have several ideas for ARs in my head. My problem is my wallet can't keep up! LOL!

MCA
22 December 2016, 20:02
What colors are you gonna cerakote the thing?

Congrats by the way. I think you're an excellent winner!

I have several ideas for ARs in my head. My problem is my wallet can't keep up! LOL!

Thank you Sir! I do appreciate it. And yes, I might be $elling a pistol just to make sure I do this Battle Kitty justice. My 5 year old son thinks Toys-R-Us is his personal warehouse for Christmas lol.

And man that is the hardest part so far in this decision making process...what to do with this awesome opportunity of a cerakote job by BDL Custom? Former11B showed me a woodland camo job that another member here did which was pretty impressive. Uwone is sending everything off to BDL at the end of next week which gives me a little time to buy a stock/tube and make a decision.

Thanks for the reply Alamo. Merry Christmas to you and yours...

alamo5000
22 December 2016, 20:27
I don't know the ins and outs or possibilities of color types with cerakote, but I think a matching reciever set and rail that was midnight blue with some shiny flecks in it (like a car paint job) with a black barrel and furniture... that would look bad ass. It would be totally gucci but I think it would look cool.

I might ask around and see if a local auto body place could actually do a paint job on a set for me (eventually). I wonder how that would hold up?

Former11B
22 December 2016, 20:51
I don't know the ins and outs or possibilities of color types with cerakote, but I think a matching reciever set and rail that was midnight blue with some shiny flecks in it (like a car paint job) with a black barrel and furniture... that would look bad ass. It would be totally gucci but I think it would look cool.

I might ask around and see if a local auto body place could actually do a paint job on a set for me (eventually). I wonder how that would hold up?

Only issue is autobody paint might be too thick and fill in serial #'s and engravings

Mike, can't wait to see it! I'd personally go with some type of functional camo whether it's an oldie but goodie or a new take on it. Bring that Recce 5 over here while you see which stock you like and let's get it timed and mounted

Joelski
23 December 2016, 07:37
Boat flake it! Target markers be damned!!! [:D]

MCA
24 December 2016, 08:41
Alright, just purchased the barrel from Rainier Arms!

Bought the Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Rifle SDM 18" barrel:

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-223-wylde-barrel-sdm

Also grabbed a Magpul ACS-L stock from Rainier to send to BDL Custom for the "to be determined" cerakote job.

Axlnut
24 December 2016, 09:13
Congrats man!

First time I've heard someone may be taking one of my patterns to BDL to have done.. often it's the other way around!

MCA
24 December 2016, 09:30
Congrats man!

First time I've heard someone may be taking one of my patterns to BDL to have done.. often it's the other way around!

Thank you! I appreciate it. And yes, I really dig that woodland camo picture you posted! Hoping BDL can replicate the great work you did.

Former11B
24 December 2016, 13:35
Thank you! I appreciate it. And yes, I really dig that woodland camo picture you posted! Hoping BDL can replicate the great work you did.

I wasn't jealous til you picked that pattern [BD]

Every time axlnut posts a picture of it....I turn up and drool on it

MCA
28 December 2016, 10:32
Alright...purchased a Rainier Arms Milspec Buffer Tube Kit and a Magpul Grip from Rainier Arms. Also purchased a Griffin SN-ACH Charging Handle from Griffin Armament.

Slowly moving forward...

fairlanericky
28 December 2016, 15:31
Alright...purchased a Rainier Arms Milspec Buffer Tube Kit and a Magpul Grip from Rainier Arms. Also purchased a Griffin SN-ACH Charging Handle from Griffin Armament.

Slowly moving forward...

You're lucky you're not local to Rainier Arms, it can be hazardous to your bank account.
I've got the SN-ACH on my SBR as well and like it a lot. Mike will do a great job on the Cerakote, always does.

Ric

Former11B
28 December 2016, 16:25
You're lucky you're not local to Rainier Arms, it can be hazardous to your bank account.

MCA and I are local to two PSA stores lol. They can do the same thing

MCA
28 December 2016, 16:52
I've got the SN-ACH on my SBR as well and like it a lot. Mike will do a great job on the Cerakote, always does.

Ric

No doubt. I am trying my best to order everything for the Battle Kitty build from WEVO sponsors and supporters.

And yes, I am very confident Mike @BDL will do an awesome job. The gallery on his website is impressive. Truly I have no idea what to have done...I keep going back and forth on various designs.

GOST
30 December 2016, 21:46
I'd contact Mike and see if he had any ideas for a WEVO Cerakote job.

MCA
31 December 2016, 08:14
Another update:

The BCG will be from the special "spade logo" group buy from Fathom Arms back in early 2016. I purchased both the standard and the enhanced BCG and both of them are still new in box. Thinking I will give the enhanced one the first shot so to speak since Battle Kitty will be running suppressed.

MCA
31 December 2016, 08:42
I'd contact Mike and see if he had any ideas for a WEVO Cerakote job.

I would definitely like to get the WEVO emblem included somewhere within the cerakote job if that is okay?

Leaning towards woodland camo with a subdued WEVO logo discreetly placed. I reached out to Mike at BDL via email this morning.

And thanks again GOST! Really enjoying this although my wife has demanded another Glock 26 for herself that she gets to have cerakoted since my Battle Kitty cerakote choice wasn't one she agreed with. Best damn bargaining I have ever pulled off [:D]

Pyzik
31 December 2016, 09:56
Why take one of Axlenut's camos? Guy is just getting his branding out and you're gonna take one of his patterns to BDL?

BDL had his own patterns and if none of those fit, I'm sure he'd come up with something unique. I mean, if you're having him do it don't cramp his style.

That's my opinion.

Look at his "tropic thunder" multicam. I freaking love it. Do that in woodland colors?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MCA
31 December 2016, 10:09
Why take one of Axlenut's camos? Guy is just getting his branding out and you're gonna take one of his patterns to BDL?

BDL had his own patterns and if none of those fit, I'm sure he'd come up with something unique. I mean, if you're having him do it don't cramp his style.

That's my opinion.

Look at his "tropic thunder" multicam. I freaking love it. Do that in woodland colors?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While I have not 100% decided upon what I want to do nor spoke with Mike at BDL yet I HAVE discussed it with Kris (Axlnut) at length via PM and he is very cool with it if I went that direction and had no issues at all. In fact he was gracious enough to offer to do it for free just like BDL but I didn't want to rock the boat nor step on any toes with such an awesome giveaway package.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well.

GOST
31 December 2016, 10:35
And thanks again GOST!

Don't thank me, the Roof Korean is responsible for all the goodies. UW is also the one you'll want to contact about using the WEVO logo.

fledge
31 December 2016, 13:45
I would not do the subdued WEVO logo since that is the current offering with discount from Axlnut. If you want his camo, you should have him do it. It's a general unspoken courtesy to not ask one painter to copy another painter.

My opinion: don't do camo. Make it a real battle kitty theme. You already have the WEVO logo engraved on the kitty. No need for another. Maybe GOST would let you use his new kitty engraving graphic (the one offered for the SMOS lower with the kitty around the trigger pins) cause that would be SICK on this lower. That, to me, would really set the whole thing apart and keep the theme going. Then BDL can add the flair as he recommends. Mike is good at themes and that's what I'd use him for.

When it's done, send to Rainier for TRIGGERCON to put in their booth to advertise the forum. :)

Former11B
31 December 2016, 17:16
It would be cool to do a theme design and send it off for triggercon if one had a multitude of rifles, BUT if this is just one of a few, then I feel making it as practical as possible is very important, IMO

MCA
31 December 2016, 17:28
I would not do the subdued WEVO logo since that is the current offering with discount from Axlnut. If you want his camo, you should have him do it. It's a general unspoken courtesy to not ask one painter to copy another painter.

My opinion: don't do camo. Make it a real battle kitty theme. You already have the WEVO logo engraved on the kitty. No need for another. Maybe GOST would let you use his new kitty engraving graphic (the one offered for the SMOS lower with the kitty around the trigger pins) cause that would be SICK on this lower. That, to me, would really set the whole thing apart and keep the theme going. Then BDL can add the flair as he recommends. Mike is good at themes and that's what I'd use him for.

When it's done, send to Rainier for TRIGGERCON to put in their booth to advertise the forum. :)

Paying close attention to your opinion and comments Sir as I like them. I posted this thread looking for insight/help as this is a first for me, as stated in my OP. Thank you.

Axlnut
31 December 2016, 18:46
I feel like I need to throw in here, as I bear some responsibility for the coating drama. I messaged MCA out of the public view originally, for that reason.

I probably also bitched a bit to my good friends and customers from the board, some of whom chimed in - that's my whole thing with this place, I don't have good friends from other boards, nor know many that would look out for my interests like that.

To make things clear, MCA, the whole thing with the cerakote boils down to a few points. This place was the first that saw MY interpretation of woodland, the colors and pattern, besides one other person... Mike from BDL. Mike is a good friend and actually gave feedback on how he would do it differently, and indeed he does do it differently. In the cerakote world, for those of us who try to elevate it to an art, we are all constantly compared to BDL. When we can do something to differentiate ourselves, that people respond well to - we want to guard it. My woodland is one of those things. I post it to my 1100 IG fans, I get a job or two. If Mike mimics my hand cut patterns and colors and posts it to his 150k - it becomes his.

The other thing with the woodland/subdued wevo logo, that's something I've been offering here at a significant discount as a way of saying thanks for being awesome WEVO, and again - it sets me apart.

Those are the whys.

At the end of it though, I want no drama screwing up what should be an exciting time for you, building out your rifle. I made my offer and respect your decision to decline, and understand. Hopefully the air is now clear and you can move on selecting all of your parts and finish.

fledge
31 December 2016, 19:00
It would be cool to do a theme design and send it off for triggercon if one had a multitude of rifles, BUT if this is just one of a few, then I feel making it as practical as possible is very important, IMO

Then those with battle kitties need to step it up! ;)

MCA
31 December 2016, 21:02
Man, I had NO idea that me publicly stating that I really liked and wanted someone's cerakote woodland camo pattern would turn into something like this. As I stated in my OP, this is my very first build. I really didn't even know what cerakote was until this giveaway.

I truly am at a loss for words here guys and not feeling really good about any of this anymore. I simply thought I won something awesome, was thankful and gracious for it, and could choose to have a cerakote pattern done that I liked. Hell, I'm selling one of my three rifles and a pistol just to do this WEVO Battle Kitty build justice and buy the best parts I can afford.

Happy New Years WEVO....

Dstrbdmedic167
31 December 2016, 21:07
Well this escalated quickly. I'll let UW chime in... but I will say it's your rifle do as you see fit! Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
31 December 2016, 21:35
I've only been able to skim over this, but here are a few thoughts.

First, MCA, feel free to use our logo on your gun as you wish for this build.

Second, and this is just me talking... as a general statement. I wouldn't ask anyone to replicate something someone else created even if it's just a variation. Doing on a one off may not seem like a big deal but that's like asking someone to create someone else's roll mark on their own branded lower.

GOST
31 December 2016, 22:16
I blame Putin for this Cerakote predicament.[BD]

Former11B
3 January 2017, 05:15
I've only been able to skim over this, but here are a few thoughts.

First, MCA, feel free to use our logo on your gun as you wish for this build.

Second, and this is just me talking... as a general statement. I wouldn't ask anyone to replicate something someone else created even if it's just a variation. Doing on a one off may not seem like a big deal but that's like asking someone to create someone else's roll mark on their own branded lower.

Multicam is a trademarked pattern and people replicate the hell out of it, even if it's a slight variation of the real thing. No one seems to have an issue with that.

UWone77
3 January 2017, 05:44
Multicam is a trademarked pattern and people replicate the hell out of it, even if it's a slight variation of the real thing. No one seems to have an issue with that.

I was more referring to the subdued logo... but hey, not my project, not my gun. If it were, I'd just leave it black [:D]

fledge
3 January 2017, 06:38

Many guys hand draw their own multicam interpretation. Some by hand each time (like Axlnut), some make their own and replicate it a thousand times (like BDL). Some add their own colors (like Black Sheep- 7 color multicam).

Even in the "standard," different painters make it their own signature version.

MCA has an opportunity with the leading painter in the country. It's not lack of choices but too many that can be paralyzing for a creative project. Solid colors. Themes. Patterns. And an original idea that BDL can pull off.

Here is BDL's work on a set I put together to commemorate my grandfather's service in the Seabees in WW2 (their 75th anniversary is in 2 days). A MK18 and MK12 adaptation with same form 1 lower.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/Seabees/C5EC60D2-4646-4853-B1F8-25E5849813E9_zpsvjy1jjcy.jpeg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/Seabees/C5EC60D2-4646-4853-B1F8-25E5849813E9_zpsvjy1jjcy.jpeg.html)

Former11B
3 January 2017, 07:19
I was more referring to the subdued logo... but hey, not my project, not my gun. If it were, I'd just leave it black [:D]

Gotcha...sorry about that

mustangfreek
7 June 2017, 18:25
So....

What ever happened to this?

MCA
2 July 2017, 18:06
So....

What ever happened to this?

Finally done....

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?10229-JustKeepSwimming-s-BattleKitty-build&p=152551#post152551