PDA

View Full Version : Strike Industries MP5 Project

GOST
28 December 2016, 11:28
This SI project is to be introduced at SHOT Show. Aluminum upper receiver, with original MP5 lower and barrel.

Aragorn
28 December 2016, 11:46
I'm a Strike Industries hater, given that it seems like >90% of their products are rip offs of other companies products and ingenuity. However, I have to admit that this is kinda cool.

BoilerUp
28 December 2016, 16:23
That could be interesting, especially if it doesn't require a press to install the barrel.

UWone77
28 December 2016, 17:31
I'm waiting for the 18" SPR and 20" Varmit models. [:D]

Axlnut
28 December 2016, 22:15
I'm a Strike Industries hater, given that it seems like >90% of their products are rip offs of other companies products and ingenuity. However, I have to admit that this is kinda cool.

I don't see it that way actually - maybe in the past, but I've spoken to Garrett a few times - even tried to license him a design or two - and he was fond of their designer in house (a chick if I'm not mistaken). That took me aback a bit because I USED to think of them the same way.

So from a design standpoint, I've been paying a lot of attention to their products over the last 2 years or so, and there is a TON of ingenuity. I think it's tempered by some of the past products, and the questions about off-shore manufacturing, but overall I have to respect where they're going.

GOST
29 December 2016, 07:31
Garrett does have really nice hair.

Duffy
29 December 2016, 08:23
How will the aluminum hold up to the HK slap?
Their reputation for el cheapo knockoff / clones / me too / made overseas products will be hard to live down. The reputation a company establishes is important, it follows the company wherever it goes.

I look at this MP5 thing and I think maybe they've finally started to innovate, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, the balance of compromises vs. benefits doesn't seem to tip the scale.

schambers
29 December 2016, 08:55
I can't tell if its just a shadow, but the metal around the bolt handle recess looks pretty thick.

Interestingly, HK does not officially endorse slapping the bolt handle as an approved way to put their roller lock guns back into battery.

Pyzik
29 December 2016, 08:58
Pretty cool. I know nothing about roller locks, or HKs. But this is cool.

eternal24k
29 December 2016, 17:29
All I want is a roller lock 9mm upper for the AR lower. But this is pretty cool. I will be less enthusiastic if this is a blowback operating system, but at least no twang in the ear

Slippers
29 December 2016, 20:39
As I've said before, I still can't get past the similarity of their logo to the schutzstaffel.

Otherwise this is kind of neat. I'm mainly interested in how the barrel will be mounted. There's one other graphic on facebook that seems to indicate a removable trunion since it's supposed to take real MP5 barrels. Will still require a press to install in the trunion, I assume.

I'd also like to see what it looks like without the trigger housing, since the drawings show a third hole and no semi shelf, which is a big no-no on conversions and clones because it allows you to install a factory full-auto lower.

Duffy
30 December 2016, 07:59
I didn't think I was the only one that noticed that they copied 50% of their logo from the SS [crazy] There are many ways to stylize a letter, I would avoid using something that's rightly associated with German atrocities during the war. I'm a history buff, and read extensively about the SS, the Waffen SS in particular.

I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate someone using a symbol associated with Japanese atrocities in China in the war either, but I don't hold them in particularly high esteem in terms of common sense in design, and professional courtesy in conduct (as many of you know, I haven't forgotten or forgiving them for copying parts of BAD-EPS and calling these features their own)

I like my little HK 9mm pea shooter just fine the way it is. It's small, thin, and light. I have a Surefire railed hand guard and a short Tangodown grip on it, and a B&T rail with an old Aimpoint M2 for sight, I have found it to be just right. It doesn't have an ambi charging handle, but I'd forego that instead of getting something that appears to be much bulkier and heavier.

This thing did not receive a warm reception on arfcom, I suspect for the same reason I listed above (not the SS thing or their penchant for copying other people's stuff).

As Will pointed out, though I suspect they will correct this in time, it has the trigger group pivot pin holes, I don't see how ATF will approve it even if it's wider to prohibit the installation of a select fire HK trigger group.

Slippers
30 December 2016, 09:29
I like my little HK 9mm pea shooter just fine the way it is. It's small, thin, and light. I have a Surefire railed hand guard and a short Tangodown grip on it, and a B&T rail with an old Aimpoint M2 for sight, I have found it to be just right. It doesn't have an ambi charging handle, but I'd forego that instead of getting something that appears to be much bulkier and heavier.

This thing did not receive a warm reception on arfcom, I suspect for the same reason I listed above (not the SS thing or their penchant for copying other people's stuff).

As Will pointed out, though I suspect they will correct this in time, it has the trigger group pivot pin holes, I don't see how ATF will approve it even if it's wider to prohibit the installation of a select fire HK trigger group.

Yeah, I won't be buying one. I love my MP5K. Heck, I just dropped $1500 on having TSC install a new B&T MP5K-N barrel and refinish the gun. HK stuff is such a money pit.

Duffy
30 December 2016, 12:05
Indeed, a B&T stock is $300 plus, but that's probably not the market they're going after.

din
30 December 2016, 17:51
People who get really excited about SI stuff are great, it makes it easy to know who you can ignore.

GOST
31 December 2016, 08:33
I can't speak for all SI products since I've only owned one. It was their Link forward grip. The fit and finish were both extremely good, better than some more expensive forward grips I've owned. It was probably made in a foreign country, but since neither of my vehicles are 100% made in the USA I won't cast the first stone. My VP9 isn't made in the USA either.

Deadwing
10 January 2017, 05:56
What an abomination. It looks like the bastard love child of an HK MP5 and a Sig MPX.

GOST
10 January 2017, 06:26
What an abomination. It looks like the bastard love child of an HK MP5 and a Sig MPX.

We've bastardized AR's for awhile, just natural progression.

GOST
10 January 2017, 18:15
SI says it's roller delayed blowback.

SINNER
10 January 2017, 19:09
GOST is right. Garrett does have really nice hair. Lol Nice guy all around. I think it's cool as hell being a roller.