PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of color dying magazines?

alamo5000
1 January 2017, 07:16
Here is an article that just hit my inbox... I figured at least someone here might be interested in this.

Click the link to see the results of using Rit Color Dye (a test of 25 different colors) to dye sand color magazines.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/ritdye_Sand_Pmags/?utm_source=gunmagwarehouse&utm_campaign=d831cc397b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0d355b7f6d-d831cc397b-423929021&mc_cid=d831cc397b&mc_eid=dde00e83c2

rxer311
1 January 2017, 07:55
I have done this. It does work.

alamo5000
1 January 2017, 08:27
I have done this. It does work.

Some of the colors are fugly but I could definitely see a use for this. Some of it could be practical and other stuff could be asthetic.

It looks like an interesting project for a rainy day.

BoilerUp
1 January 2017, 08:52
yeah, I think this was one of the reasons that Magpul introduced the sand color magazines.

BTW, I hear you can spray paint them, too. :)

alamo5000
1 January 2017, 09:04
yeah, I think this was one of the reasons that Magpul introduced the sand color magazines.

I wouldn't want to spray paint mine but then again I'm just a plain Jane kind of guy.

I wonder if magpul sells sand color base plates? I could dye those and have my mags color coordinated.

BoilerUp
1 January 2017, 09:08
I wouldn't want to spray paint mine but then again I'm just a plain Jane kind of guy.

I wonder if magpul sells sand color base plates? I could dye those and have my mags color coordinated.

Dude...

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-floor-plate-ar-m4-gen-m3-5-pack

rxer311
1 January 2017, 09:13
Dude...

Yeah...dude

Thompson
1 January 2017, 09:31

Believe so - think that was the reason why they also decided to discontinue their line of colored PMAGs as this provides alot more options.

Joelski
1 January 2017, 10:13
Believe so - think that was the reason why they also decided to discontinue their line of colored PMAGs as this provides alot more options.

What's been d/c'd besides foliage green?

alamo5000
1 January 2017, 10:31
Dude...

Dude! Thanks! I might give it a go a do a few base plates so if I ever go to a public range I can keep track of my stuff.

Thompson
1 January 2017, 11:39
What's been d/c'd besides foliage green?
All colors except for black.

Magpul came out with an article ... circa 2 years (?) ago. Said they aren't producing anymore colored mags. So what you see now, is whatever is left from distributors/dealers.

Unless they said they were restarting the colored line; but that would be news to me then.

Dude! Thanks! I might give it a go a do a few base plates so if I ever go to a public range I can keep track of my stuff.
Dude ...

they make muddy girl wraps for that purpose [BD]

gatordev
1 January 2017, 12:21
I believe the actual issue with the colored mags was that the dye process would yield less strength/more brittleness to the polymer. Black and no color (ie, netrual/Sand) didn't have these issues. The FDE/tan PMags were the worst, according to Magpul. As a result, they stopped the color mag production and offered the Sand color so that it could be dyed/painted any color but still have the highest strength/most ductile property.

Joelski
1 January 2017, 12:21
Must be a hell of a stockpile.

UWone77
1 January 2017, 12:23
I believe the actual issue with the colored mags was that the dye process would yield less strength/more brittleness to the polymer. Black and no color (ie, netrual/Sand) didn't have these issues. The FDE/tan PMags were the worst, according to Magpul. As a result, they stopped the color mag production and offered the Sand color so that it could be dyed/painted any color but still have the highest strength/most ductile property.

This is my understanding as well.

Most of the PMAGs I've broken are FDE.

Joelski
1 January 2017, 12:36
Doesn't break my heart... Magpul is becoming more of a Corporate entity, which could be their ultimate demise. Many larger companies have deviated from their original mission and been left sorely wanting their former success. SKU's, Logistics, all the dollar bill-speak of the bigtime. This is why there are no masadas, yet plenty of T-shirts and former staple items are being cut to make more belts. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have to be a loyal customer if they don't offer what I want.

From another forum:

No later than the end of 2014, you will be able to buy all PMAGs in any color you want, as long as it's black. All magazine skus, just black. Unless you have Cerakote, aervoe, krylon, a dip, or duracoat--then you can have any color you want.

It's a matter of demand vs logistics. Non-black magazines are a very small part of demand, and maintaining inventory, materials flow, and reformulation/updating have all contributed to this move.

Mag material isn't exactly the same as stock material, and if we reduce the number of raw material mixtures (mag colors) that we continually improve, we can devote more energy to the next generation of material.

Furniture will be unaffected, and will be available in colors.

UWone77
1 January 2017, 14:01
Doesn't break my heart... Magpul is becoming more of a Corporate entity, which could be their ultimate demise. Many larger companies have deviated from their original mission and been left sorely wanting their former success. SKU's, Logistics, all the dollar bill-speak of the bigtime. This is why there are no masadas, yet plenty of T-shirts and former staple items are being cut to make more belts. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have to be a loyal customer if they don't offer what I want.

From another forum:

I see no sign that this will be the start of their demise, even if they're going more corporate as you put it. Personally, I love the fact Magpul keeps expanding their offerings into other platforms vs more colors.

Frankly, offering them in only black makes me feel like they're going back to their Core mission, which is making gear. Who cares if your magazine doesn't match your furniture?

gatordev
1 January 2017, 14:45
Who cares if your magazine doesn't match your furniture?

The internet.

Uffdaphil
1 January 2017, 14:49
I'm with UW on this. Magpul is one of the most innovative companies out there. In recent years besides new AR furniture and Pmags we've gotten the Mbus Pros, inexpensive Glock mags and a fantastic armorers wrench.

Plus they were the most visible corporate 2A supporter in the last gun control campaign. The PR over loudly moving out of Colorado and devoting all Pmag production to beat the state deadline was priceless and proved costly for lefty politicians.They have earned their large, loyal customer base.

Default.mp3
1 January 2017, 15:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FI7JVGOJj0

Joelski
1 January 2017, 16:39
Because Tee shirts are so mission critical.

Just musing, what with it being well past late 2014, i think something changed their mind. I certainly don't hold success against anybody. Is anybody talking about the colored polymer formulas being weaker than black? That doesn't matter either.

schambers
1 January 2017, 17:04
Is anybody talking about the colored polymer formulas being weaker than black? That doesn't matter either.

When the Gen 3 mags were released (is that the generation we are in right now?) Magpul was very up front regarding revised formula and how dyes effected the material strength. I think thats why you didn't hear a lot of people talking about it.

I think its very telling that Magpul only released black and later sand colored magazines. They made the choice to deliver a robust product to the consumer and sacrifice their potential profits.

I agree with the statements above. Just because they are expanding their product line doesn't mean that Magpul has sold out or gone corporate. They continue to refine there old designs and produce new high quality products at reasonable price points. Why should a company not want to expand and be profitable?

UWone77
1 January 2017, 17:10
Because Tee shirts are so mission critical.

Just musing, what with it being well past late 2014, i think something changed their mind. I certainly don't hold success against anybody. Is anybody talking about the colored polymer formulas being weaker than black? That doesn't matter either.

Basically everyone offers T-Shirts. They're easy and have really good margins. No reason not to do them, especially when you have name recognition [:D]

gatordev
1 January 2017, 17:11
[video]

I guess that makes sense given their new contract award and/or use approval.

FortTom
2 January 2017, 02:57
The internet.
^^^^^^[:D]^^^^^^

BoilerUp
2 January 2017, 06:51
I guess that makes sense given their new contract award and/or use approval.

It sounds like MCT is a DoD requirement for future acquisitions. Now that the military is getting everything in poop color, I figure the next major conflict will be someplace either in the jungle or in the snow.

On the other issue, if you have customers who want to pay you to wear advertising for your business on their body in public then you'd be a pretty poor businessman if you didn't oblige them. I pretty much refuse to wear brand / logo wear unless the item was comp'd or is a brand I've worked for (or represents a souvenir from a cool trip - I admit, I do have and wear a T-shirt from the Guinness factory in Dublin).

Axlnut
2 January 2017, 08:48
To my understanding, no Masada had far more to do with being too small of a company than too large. They just didn't have the resources to produce a full rifle at the time.

Dying mags is stone simple and effective as well (on topic and all).

Thompson
2 January 2017, 12:42
It sounds like MCT is a DoD requirement for future acquisitions. Now that the military is getting everything in poop color, I figure the next major conflict will be someplace either in the jungle or in the snow.
Curious to see if they will shift priority of production to Mil contracts (ie: USMC).

Thought, kind of doubt the Army will switch to PMAGs as standard issue.

video
I don't know about you, but I thought that was a pretty cheesy/lame attempt at trying to recreate the theme/tone of the War Department videos.

GOST
2 January 2017, 15:02
I love my Lancers but I still want one of those clear PMAG's.

Former11B
3 January 2017, 05:07

What's wrong with the spray paint? Don't tell my rifles that

Pyzik
3 January 2017, 06:45
I'll be attempting a fakelite and a plum mag die from sand mags when I get my Saiga back.

I'll post my efforts and results.

Former11B
3 January 2017, 07:21
I'll be attempting a fakelite and a plum mag die from sand mags when I get my Saiga back.

I'll post my efforts and results.

Here's some info of a guy doing a "fakelite" Rit Dye:

https://www.carolinafirearmsforum.com/forum/reloading/gunsmithing-assembly-finishing/8681-my-adventures-with-rit-dye-ported-over-for-posterior-posterity

Thompson
3 January 2017, 09:08
I love my Lancers but I still want one of those clear PMAG's.
LOL - who doesn't?

SINNER
3 January 2017, 09:51
Been waiting for sand furniture so my cousin can work some magic with them. These are all done with stencils from a cheap plotter and dipped into individual dyes. He is pretty much setting the standard for custom dyed lacrosse heads and has been consulting for RIT to develope a line of dyes specifically for plastics.

alamo5000
3 January 2017, 12:41
What's wrong with the spray paint? Don't tell my rifles that

I wouldn't use the word "wrong "...

Yeah some of you might yell 'safe queen' ... but I like my rifles how they are. I spent a lot of money getting them looking and working nice.

I would equate it to when you talk UWone into spray painting his BMW I might spray paint my guns :)

I don't baby them but I take care of them.

On a different kind of build I wouldn't mind it a bit. It doesn't speak to "quality ". But if I built a truck gun I would be on it.

My AR experience started out sort of on the top shelf so the thought of spray paint on my guns as they are now...Umm no. :)

Thompson
3 January 2017, 15:14
I wouldn't use the word "wrong "...

Yeah some of you might yell 'safe queen' ... but I like my rifles how they are. I spent a lot of money getting them looking and working nice.

I would equate it to when you talk UWone into spray painting his BMW I might spray paint my guns :)

I don't baby them but I take care of them.

On a different kind of build I wouldn't mind it a bit. It doesn't speak to "quality ". But if I built a truck gun I would be on it.

My AR experience started out sort of on the top shelf so the thought of spray paint on my guns as they are now...Umm no. :)
But if it's stoopid, but it works - is it really stoopid? [BD]

apmcdaniel
3 January 2017, 16:43
All colors except for black.

Magpul came out with an article ... circa 2 years (?) ago. Said they aren't producing anymore colored mags. So what you see now, is whatever is left from distributors/dealers.

Unless they said they were restarting the colored line; but that would be news to me then.

Dude ...

they make muddy girl wraps for that purpose [BD]

LMAO!!! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/03db57b3ccbaf9f97abc63dd8c897f65.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSchell1309
5 January 2017, 20:57
http://i.imgur.com/3RzZp2z.jpg

Im pretty happy with how the yellow RIT dye and the 40rd sand mag came out. Add a banana sticker and you are good to go.

I tried to dye the baseplate a brown but it came out more like baby poop green. Some RIT dye colors don't play nice with the sand colored polymer. GunMag's test shows a few of these as well.

BoilerUp
5 January 2017, 21:33
I tried to dye the baseplate a brown but it came out more like baby poop green.

That would be meconium. Probably not a bad cerakote color for a carbine...