PDA

View Full Version : Dry lube

Joelski
7 January 2017, 13:05
Is the bomb shizzy. Grease running down your arms is for B-Dubs. Clean and slick is the way to go.

Discuss.

PS: This is Weapon Evolution, not "Buy a Colt". [:D]

Edit: a guy I know said his unit used dry lube in the 'Stan (MP's, so no SAW's seizing up). Less sand and grit getting sucked into the action, but they kept to routine maintenance schedules. Might have been a trial of plain dry lube, vs. the new experimental plated stuff, I didn't ask, as that wasn't news back then.

KevinBLC
8 January 2017, 12:13
Which dry lube are you using?

UWone77
8 January 2017, 14:44
Is the bomb shizzy. Grease running down your arms is for B-Dubs. Clean and slick is the way to go.

Discuss.

PS: This is Weapon Evolution, not "Buy a Colt". [:D]

Buy Slip2000 [:D]

Pyzik
8 January 2017, 15:36
Buy Slip2000 [:D]

Agreed. It's slip for me.

Stone
8 January 2017, 16:10
Slip EWL with a touch of EWG in a few spots makes me happy[pop]

Joelski
8 January 2017, 18:22
Which dry lube are you using?

Birchwood Casey, Hoppe's. They're pretty similar.

Tyrannosaur
8 January 2017, 19:27
Jergens, helps with the vigorous beatings and friction

Former11B
9 January 2017, 06:33
Dry lube + suppressor = stoppage

Slippers
9 January 2017, 07:18
Another fan of slip 2k ewl here, especially for suppressed use.

Aragorn
9 January 2017, 09:07
Only dry lube I have is the "Machine Gunners" lube in the little sample packs that Springco has sent me with every order. Never tried it. I run Slip2000 and Mil-Comm TW25B.

Joelski
9 January 2017, 11:31
Dry lube + suppressor = stoppage
Makes sense. Noted, thanks.

SINNER
9 January 2017, 13:30
Aeroshell and Mobil 1. Firearm lubricants are a scam.

Joelski
9 January 2017, 13:41
Aeroshell and Mobil 1. Firearm lubricants are a scam.

Agreed! Isn't Slip 2k supposed to be crisco or something? [:D] I'll take the stuff CART diff mechanics ran over cooking oil any day!

Deadwing
10 January 2017, 04:59
Agreed! Isn't Slip 2k supposed to be crisco or something? [:D] I'll take the stuff CART diff mechanics ran over cooking oil any day!

That's fireclean you're thinking of. I saw a video on youtube where they used fireclean to cook breakfast (i think it was the InRange TV guys). [BD]

I'm a fan of Slip 2000 EWL and TW25B if i need to use grease. The exception to the use of TW25B is Geissele triggers, which get lubed with Aeroshell #6 (i got a 14oz tube for like $9).

I've also found that synthetic engine oil works well, and have used that in the past (or in a pinch).

Slippers
10 January 2017, 05:54
I've tried several motor oils and they generally suck for suppressed use, leaving gummy buildups and smelling terrible. I also shoot and clean my guns so often that I prefer a non-toxic lubricant.

Deadwing
10 January 2017, 06:06
I've been using Slip 2000 since i got my first can, and i haven't had need to use anything else. I can definitely see how motor oil would be a nightmare shooting suppressed.

SINNER
10 January 2017, 09:46
If you applied enough lube to make a difference shooting suppressed you are doing it wrong. Far too much lubrication if it makes any difference beyond the first shot. I'm a lefty and pretty much only shoot surpressed anymore so I am hyper sensitive to even different types of powders.

Slippers
10 January 2017, 09:56
I lube *very* lightly for my guns that are always shot suppressed. Otherwise it gets blown everywhere, makes a mess.

SINNER
10 January 2017, 10:02
Same. Apply to preheated surfaces and wipe off all but a film. I find different powders much worse than even when I overlube a new weapon for its first few magazines. Elite Iron recommends pouring Froglube into their cans before each use and that is a big stinky cloud the first few rounds. That damn fill Silencerco uses in their ammo is like eating sand with some weapons. Lol

Joelski
10 January 2017, 18:43
It's the natural Impurities in Dino oil that make it impractical for shooting. Pure synthetic lubricant, free of esters, paraffin and detergents, but with long chain polymers work as well as anything and plate surfaces on heating up. I've yet to A/B it with slip 2k, but I've also not effective up any expensive firearms or engines. Until we have "permanent" lube, it's all gonna fly off under those forces.

UWone77
10 January 2017, 19:27
I don't do motor oil, it's plain messy. I know local guys who swear by it, but then again they'd be lucky to shoot once or twice a year, so I'm sure it does well for them.

I'm still a plain Slip2000 guy. Doesn't leave a huge mess and is light... and affordable.

Uffdaphil
10 January 2017, 20:43
Aeroshell barrel nut grease for the taper mount. Slip2K or Weaponshield for BCG quick lube at the range. Slip EWL30 at home if going directly into safe- doesn't run as much.

DeviantLogic
10 January 2017, 21:08
Don't think I'll be making a switch to dry lube anytime soon. I like oil and grease for lube...you know how much you've put on and when it's dry or dirty. The kind of oil/grease really depends on which firearm is being lubed, what part needs lubrication, and what time of year it is. Handguns usually get Gun Butter oil + grease. AR's get Wilson Combat Universal or "Grease" (more like a thick oil). Bolt guns get Hoppes or whatever I have in my range bag. Typically use Shooter's Choice grease for trigger components. If temperatures are low, I try to use a thinner oil...warmer temperatures get a thicker oil.

Deadwing
10 January 2017, 23:34
It's the natural Impurities in Dino oil that make it impractical for shooting. Pure synthetic lubricant, free of esters, paraffin and detergents, but with long chain polymers work as well as anything and plate surfaces on heating up. I've yet to A/B it with slip 2k, but I've also not effective up any expensive firearms or engines. Until we have "permanent" lube, it's all gonna fly off under those forces.

Look at you, getting all scientific and whatnot. [BD]

I don't do motor oil, it's plain messy. I know local guys who swear by it, but then again they'd be lucky to shoot once or twice a year, so I'm sure it does well for them.

I'm still a plain Slip2000 guy. Doesn't leave a huge mess and is light... and affordable.

I work with a guy that uses automotive wheel bearing grease (the cheap $2 for a 5# tub crap) for lubing everything firearm related. I once bought a Glock from him that took me forever to get clean and grease free.

Slip 2000 EWL has been my go to for years. I've found a little goes a long way using Slip 2000 EWL, so even a small bottle will last a while. I bought a big 16oz bottle for maybe $25 on sale, so cost over time to use a quality lube on my weapons is practically nothing. And like you said, it doesn't leave a big mess when cleaning. And as someone else mentions, it's non-toxic, which is a bonus as well.

Eric
11 January 2017, 02:45

Yeah, I ran some synthetic oil mix with okay results, but I'm still working my way through Slip2000 samples.

Aberration79
16 March 2017, 13:14
After the disaster of Frog Lube I looked into making my own. I use a 45/45/10 of ATF, gear oil, and Seafoam. Now I practically got a lifetime supply. I had some Royal Purple from when I had an RX-8 just laying around. If you got some stubborn carbon try some straight Seafoam.

I've yet to consider dry lube because I was going suppressed and heard it's a no-go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk