PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision M5 / JP 308 Build

BoilerUp
8 January 2017, 22:28
I assembled my AR308 build over the weekend:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Gb4ST6q/4/X2/i-Gb4ST6q-X2.jpg

Highlights include:
Aero Precision M5 receiver set, LPK, CH
JP Rifles 18" rifle length gas .308 Supermatch stainless steel barrel with black teflon finish
SLR Rifleworks ION 16" Ultra Lite KeyMod
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 adjustable gas block
Griffin Armament Taper Mount Comp (for the Recce 7 that I don't have...but a fella can dream and plan ahead, right?)
B5 SOPMOD Stock (OD)
Ergo Deluxe Tactical Grip (OD)

The build has been strait forward. The only real trick was getting the (not-included with receiver) capture set screw that retains the rear take-down detent pin spring installed (after trimming 6 or 7 coils from the spring). This is different on the M5 lower than a standard AR in that the spring comes down and is retained by the pistol grip if you don't use the set screw. Since dealing with one detent spring when changing grips is enough, I went to ACE and spent 40 cents on the #4-40 x 1/8" set screw.

Unfortunately, it's not quite ready to shoot as I don't have a Bolt Carrier. I hit the wall with my budget so am saving pennies to acquire the JP LMOS Carrier. It also needs a match trigger and I plan on eventually switching over to the JP Silent Captured Spring. The installed trigger is, I think, from my LMT. The trigger that came with the AP LPK actually wouldn't fit without removing the safety selector and I didn't want to mess with that. The other trigger I had on hand was just a tiny bit shorter and fit w/o removing the safey selector.

This is my first SLR handguard and I'm quite impressed. I like the BCM KMR mounting a tiny bit better but this is a very close runner up, IMO (and if someone told me they liked it better than the KMR system, I wouldn't argue). I was a little annoyed once I realized I should have ordered the barrel nut wrench at the same time I ordered the handguard so that lesson cost me and extra $7 in shipping.

Once I get the JP LMOS Carrier installed, the rifle should check in under 8 lbs 2 oz (no mag or optic). I'm pretty happy with that, as it is 1 pound heavier and 2 inches longer than my precision .223 build (with 18" WOA SPR barrel) and close to 3 pounds lighter than my PTR91K which is my only other .308. (granted, I replaced the polymer Navy lower with a surplus steel lower on the PTR, so that doesn't help). Also interesting to me is that this M5 build with 18" barrel is shorter than my PTR91K with 16" barrel. The collapsible stock helps, but it's even shorter if you measure from the trigger forward mainly because the G3 has a long receiver and action.

I'm really looking forward to finding out if the JP barrel lives up to the reputation. I have to say that the matching bolt that came with the barrel is beautiful. Unfortunately, it will probably be a few months before I am able to shoot it. [BD]

GOST
9 January 2017, 02:16
Look forward to hearing how she performs. I've got friends that won't use anything but JP barrels.

SINNER
9 January 2017, 03:44
You might want to consider a different bolt carrier. No forward assist serrations on JP large frame LMOS carriers.

Nice build you have started.

BoilerUp
11 January 2017, 19:06
You might want to consider a different bolt carrier. No forward assist serrations on JP large frame LMOS carriers.

Nice build you have started.

Thanks. Two considerations for me: 1) I'll probably also pick up an Aero Precision nitride BCG when funds are available and I find one at the right price, and 2) I suspect I'll move the JP and SLR bits over to a 2A Xanthos receiver set (which doesn't have a FA) within a year or so in order to have a nice light weight AR308 setup for hunting.

BoilerUp
13 March 2017, 20:24
OK, build has been complete for a few weeks and I've done the tedium of barrel break in. Fouling appears to have been pretty minimal. Here it is at the range yesterday:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-GCDdTj5/0/X3/i-GCDdTj5-X3.jpg

Note that I've switched the trigger out for a CMC 3.5lb flat thanks to a sale at Primary Arms.

For break in, I've just been running my PST 1-4x24. Most of my range time yesterday was on ladders for my .223, but I did shoot 10 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK. Below is a 5 shot group @ 100 yards (ignore the 3 small holes from confirming zero of my RDS on a different carbine):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-R7Wfcw7/0/XL/i-R7Wfcw7-XL.jpg

The last two holes in the bottom right were shot to round out total shot count (20 rounds total so far). They are also about .6 apart, center to center.

The PST has a 1 moa center dot, so I'm pretty impressed that I could pull off that group with that optic. It certainly bodes well for the rifle. I'm also pleased with the CMC trigger. Most of my ARs have Geisseles so I'm generally a 2-stage guy. It will take some more trigger time before I really decide on which I prefer.

FortTom
14 March 2017, 11:14
Nice group, guy. I quite "breaking in" rifles a long time ago. Maybe I should start again.[:D] I have several rifles with CMC triggers and am pretty fond of them. As soon as the weather breaks around here, I need to go run 20 or 50 rounds through my LR-10. Finally solved a problem with mine after a long period of just letting it sit. I just hope I can get groups like that. Probably need to run a couple of boxes of premium ammo to see how well it will shoot, then switch to the cheap AIM surplus stuff. Glad every thing worked out so well for you.

FT

SINNER
14 March 2017, 17:58
Love the single stage CMC's. Great groups for that optic for certain.

RobertTheTexan
10 April 2017, 13:54
Nicely done Boilerup. I'm wrapping up an LR-308 build myself, using some of the same parts. Well at least the upper and lower are the same. I went a different route with my barrel forward. Also I will be using an SLR rail. It's a nice looking build with a nice grouping to boot. What optic do you think you'll end up with?

BoilerUp
21 April 2017, 21:12
Made it out to the range for a bit this evening, on probably what is the nicest day we've had in Seattle since September. Since last update, I've acquired an upper receiver lapping tool and trued up the upper. I was having to dial in considerable elevation when mounting scopes sighted in for other rifles (part of why I love Bobros). Today, I borrowed my Viper HS LR from my .223 SPR and barely had to touch the elevation. I was mostly shooting mediocre ammo (American Eagle and PPU) to dial in the scope, but the wind picked up suddenly and got quite gusty, to include blowing over my targets. I did manage to get this last group of the evening during a lull in the gusts with 5 rounds of 168 gr FGMM at 100 yards (front a rear bags off a bench):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bRbMvdN/0/L/i-bRbMvdN-L.jpg

Well under an inch even with the flyer. I've only got about 40 rounds through this thing so far but I am really liking it. I have a LaRue MBT on the way that I'll probably drop in, but I continue to like the CMC trigger, too.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f5JJcvB/0/XL/i-f5JJcvB-XL.jpg

I've picked up a set of Forster dies and some Lapua brass and various match bullets, including Scenars, so I am looking forward to learning how far I can push this JP barrel.

BoilerUp
22 April 2017, 12:59
JP LMOS BCG with POF roller cam

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-QcP3WZH/0/XL/i-QcP3WZH-XL.jpg

BoilerUp
2 May 2017, 22:20
First hand loads out of the JP. If this keeps up, I'll be buying more JP barrels. The 3-shot group below was the best from the ladder. Actually, I think it was my best group ever. From anything. I'm generally not impressed by 3-shot groups, though, so I'll load up some more and see what I can do with 5 or 10 shot groups. 100 yards, off bags.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-HKF7DTx/1/ba8a2714/X3/i-HKF7DTx-X3.jpg

Pyzik
3 May 2017, 05:22
Wow, nice groups and great looking rifle.

UWone77
3 May 2017, 05:32
Wow, nice groups and great looking rifle.

His gauge is covering the fliers [:D]

But dude... a 3 shot group?! C'mon man!!

Pyzik
3 May 2017, 05:37
His gauge is covering the fliers [:D]

But dude... a 3 shot group?! C'mon man!!
I wasn't gonna call him on 3, haha. Ay least he's posting.
I still need to hit a range this year that's longer that 50!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SINNER
3 May 2017, 06:21
American rifleman accuracy test. Shoot 20, pick the best 3. Lol

BoilerUp
3 May 2017, 06:51
Hey, everyone knows that the best 3-shot group out of 10 is the ultimate proof of a rifle's accuracy and a shooter's ability.

mustangfreek
3 May 2017, 18:11
Looks like the Magic varget is doing its work..

Did you chrono them loads?

BoilerUp
3 May 2017, 21:50
Looks like the Magic varget is doing its work..

Did you chrono them loads?

Yeah, I'd heard it's hard to mess up a 308 load with Varget (these were my first ever .308 loads).

I don't own a chrono yet. I'll probably buy a MagnetoSpeed Sporter in the next few months.

mustangfreek
4 May 2017, 04:23
Nice , ya varget seems to be a good one, I also had good luck with imr 4064 when I was developing loads a while back

Forgot to ask you shooting up at MRC?

BoilerUp
7 May 2017, 07:53
Mustang, I shoot at Cascade out in Ravensdale.

OK, lest my integrity be questioned, here are the results with 10 rounds using the same load as above (Lapua virgin brass, CCI 400 primers, 45.4 gr Varget, Hornady 168gr BTHP, COAL 2.78)

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-GgccKFH/0/20e536ed/L/i-GgccKFH-L.jpg

I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that 6 out of 10 shots made about a 0.5 MOA group (lines are half inch apart, creating 1" increment concentric circles) but then the other 4 are about 1" lower. None of those were "called flyers" but I was getting off the rifle for about 2 minutes between each shot meaning I had to reset (off bags) for every round. I'm currently using a Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Bobro QD that I normally keep on my 18" 5.56. I know I loaded a few of the rounds with shorter COAL than intended. I'm going to give a COAL of 2.80 a try and also see what the SMKs do.

A similar load in once fired Federal brass gave promising results, too. The first 4 rounds went in the same hole, shot 5 was the top left flyer (not called), and 6 was the top center. These were all shot "round robin" so there were about 5 shots from other rungs on the ladder between each shot plus cooling time, so those 6 rounds were shot over about a 45 minute period where 30 rounds total were fired (before the 10 rounds above). As you can see from the target, I experienced a light rain shower in the middle of the process, too.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kjd9xWp/0/d2d214db/X2/i-kjd9xWp-X2.jpg

I'm new to reloading so this is a learning process for me, but I'm having fun and very much enjoying this rifle.

UWone77
7 May 2017, 19:55
Very Good Shooting. I could live with that. I'm sure they'll tighten up the more you work up your loads.

BoilerUp
18 May 2017, 21:03
Latest results with 168SMKs (4 shot groups, round robin)

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Nq79cqv/0/536c97a3/X2/i-Nq79cqv-X2.jpg

Looks like a sweet spot between 44.0 and 45.0 gr.

My color coding system matches up the target IDs above
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cXQDnPR/0/2e1689ba/XL/i-cXQDnPR-XL.jpg

Nothing quite like having the range to yourself
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-QFVqChc/0/ef3776c1/XL/i-QFVqChc-XL.jpg

Big_Tom
18 May 2017, 22:55
Since I got my 308 done I'm wanting to get into reloading. Any good beginners sets I should look at getting?

cjd3
18 May 2017, 23:12
Since I got my 308 done I'm wanting to get into reloading. Any good beginners sets I should look at getting?
I am a fan of Hornady, and the new Iron Press kit is darn good start up set.

mustangfreek
19 May 2017, 04:33

Good topic , and you should start a thread, I'd say for just starting out and getting use to reloading a good single stage like a Rcbs rock chucked or a Lee is a good start..Many choices

Big_Tom
19 May 2017, 09:35
Good topic , and you should start a thread, I'd say for just starting out and getting use to reloading a good single stage like a Rcbs rock chucked or a Lee is a good start..Many choices

I am a fan of Hornady, and the new Iron Press kit is darn good start up set.

Thanks for the help so far.
I'll probably start one. I didn't want to highjack a thread.

BoilerUp
19 May 2017, 21:45

I'm a beginning hand loader myself. I just started this past winter. I almost picked up an RCBS package back during the black Friday/holiday sales, but Midway put the Forster Co-Ax press on clearance price (best price I'd ever seen on one) and off I go. My interest in reloading is primarily to achieve the accuracy potential of a few of my rifles, such as this .308, so going with Forster made sense anyway and I had the budget. Not a lot of reloading discussed on this forum.

alamo5000
19 May 2017, 22:04

I use Lee stuff merely because that is what has always been around. I have investigated getting more and more stuff though. It all depends on what you want to do. If you are going to be reloading a little for say accuracy loads or if you want to be able to crank out 1000 9mm rounds...

naturally everyone says they want it all but what you get and how you set things up matters. a lot is trial and error. The type of equipment in my mind isn't always as important (meaning brand names) but some set ups allow for faster turn around times and whatnot.

I am a long time reloader. I think from the time I started shooting pretty much I have been reloading. I remember doing it as a kid too.

The more important thing at this phase is to get a knowledge base down of how things act and react and then do a little trial and error to fit your specific needs.

You might even want to find people who DO reload and go check out their setups and see what you like. Everybody is a little bit different.

alamo5000
19 May 2017, 22:12

I agree. Start a thread. I would start it with information about HOW things function first and then go down to a secondary topic about what tool or tools are the better ones to make that happen. If you are just starting out having a basis in understanding the dynamics of your components is a bigger deal at this phase. Taking that approach will save you money in the long run because you can at least in theory build a set up with various tools for reloading and get 'closer' to being right 'for you' from the get go.

BoilerUp
22 August 2017, 19:49
OK, I am now accepting input on an appropriate optic for this build. Pictured below is my M5 .308 build with a Vortex Viper HS-LR that I've borrowed from my .223 Wylde SPR-ish / precision recce rifle. It misses it's glass and wants it back.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pRm4fsn/0/d8f21c91/X2/i-pRm4fsn-X2.jpg

I'll primarily be shooting 600 yards and in. I know that 10x is fine for that, but I want a bit more juice, at least 14x, maybe as much as 20x. My problem is that I hate weight yet want "tactical" features. Also, my low end Swarovski Z3 has spoiled me on good glass, so I don't think I can do another Vortex Viper. I have two Vipers and they are great all-around packages for the price, but I want better glass for my .308. Budget is $1,000 - $1,500, give or take.

The current front runner is the new Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50. Excellent Schott glass, decent reticle options, 103MOA of vertical, 22 ounces, and I can get preferred pricing that gets it in my budget.

Also under consideration:

Nightforce SHV F1 4-14xx50 but I'd like a bit more magnification and I hear the glass isn't a good.
Sig Tango4 4-16x44 or maybe the Tango6 3-18x44. Look like good overall packages but heavy
Vortex Razor 5-20x50 - looks good, I can get a vet discount, weighs a ton so not seriously considering
Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 - razor glass in a light weight package, vet discount makes it very affordable, but a 1" tube and capped turrets

Suggestions / thoughts?

Slippers
22 August 2017, 21:45
NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1. [:D]

Yeah, I know. Budget. But it is a great 308 gasser optic, since I believe it was designed for the csass competition. 30oz, little heavier than you want. But the turrets are to die for, especially the zerohold elevation turret.

On your list I'd be tempted to give the tango4 a try. The shv is pretty good, too.

Or go deep and get a s&b ultra short 5-20 since it actually is the csass optic. Haha!

UWone77
23 August 2017, 07:43
I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?

BoilerUp
23 August 2017, 19:00
I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?

I'd actually be pretty content with the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP w/ XLR reticle for this rifle, but I'm in a position where I can spend a bit more and this rifle is performing well enough where I feel it warrants it.

I still hold that Vortex Viper glass is an excellent value for $400-$500 mid-range glass, especially given the warranty. The PST line adds great tactical features for another bill or two. I got my Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP (pictured above) for a steal at $350 back when Vortex was discontinuing the line and I'd be pleased with my purchase if I had paid $500+. It's a great fit for my .223 SPR. I also really like my Viper PST 1-4x24 (for a $450 scope). I've got a Diamondback HP on a 10/22 and I doubt I could ever bring myself to buy anything that cheap again.

My Swaro Z3 is my best scope right now. For an $800 scope, pretty much all that money goes into the glass as it really has no additional features besides the ZRH reticle. It's a hunting scope, but I can look through that thing all day. My eyes ain't what they used to be, either. That new Zeiss V6 looks like a great compromise between hunting and tactical for my needs. Give up a few "tactical" features in trade for better glass and light weight. I was eyeing the new Leoupold VX-6HD line, too, but I think the V6 knocks that out.

I'll probably be building up a long range bolt gun in a few years and that's when I'll be looking at upping the budget. When that time comes, the Razor AMG is probably the front runner, but I also really like the Kahles 6-24 and the ATACR will be in the running as well.

The Sig Tangos seem to be getting pretty good reviews and they're already coming out with a new generation, but the track record just isn't there yet.

I guess I should have added Trij Accupower 4-16x50 to the list, too. I keep going back and forth on those. I can get attractive pricing on those, but I'm not a huge fan of the available reticles and there are some pretty unfavorable stories floating around regarding their CS. But they do seem like they "belong" on an AR.

SINNER
23 August 2017, 20:26
Waiting for these to be back in stock. Basically an American made M5Xi for 1/2 price.

http://www.eurooptic.com/5221-Steiner-Steiner-P4Xi-4-16x56-SCR-Zero-Stop-FFP-Tac-Knob.aspx

BoilerUp
25 August 2017, 07:16
Waiting for these to be back in stock. Basically an American made M5Xi for 1/2 price.

http://www.eurooptic.com/5221-Steiner-Steiner-P4Xi-4-16x56-SCR-Zero-Stop-FFP-Tac-Knob.aspx

That certainly fits within my stated criteria, except it appears to only be available in mil and I'm an MOA kind of guy. I thought the American made Steiners were getting a bit of trash talk, though.

Slippers
25 August 2017, 09:27
Keep in mind that a lot of scopes are made in the same factories and have the same glass, so it comes down to the warranty, turrets, aesthetics, and any other features you value. For instance, the viper pst and sig tango4 lines are made by Scopro Optical in the Phillipines. The razor and tango6 lines are made by Light Optic Works in Japan. Nightforce and Trijicon also use Light Optic Works.

If you look at the vortex and sig product lines you'll notice that they mirror each other for magnification/objectives. They're basically the same scopes as far as the glass is concerned.

BoilerUp
9 September 2017, 18:30
Sorry Aero Precision, but my AR308 just lost a pound. 7 pounds 2 ounces now

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-St2jPJ3/0/96388c47/X2/i-St2jPJ3-X2.jpg

fledge
9 September 2017, 19:40
Looks good.

BoilerUp
5 September 2018, 20:21
The chatter in other threads about the AP M5 has motivated me to post and update. After buying the Xanthos receiver set, my M5 was incomplete until I couldn't pass up a screaming deal on a BHW .260 Remington barrel. I decided to move my JP barrel back over to the M5 and I mounted up the .260 on the Xanthos as that's what I'd likely take to the field for some long distance shooting / hunting if I ever get time and inclination (we have the opportunity here in WA to hunt black tail when they migrate out into the plateau/Columbia Basin in Eastern WA during the winter - I'll probably never do this, but a boy can dream).

So, here is where we currently stand w/ the M5:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cp8g2GX/1/b3ec2b6e/X3/i-cp8g2GX-X3.jpg

Regarding the optics discussion, I did pick up a Zeiss Conquest v5 3-18x50 but I put it on the .260 Xanthos build. I should probably do a separate thread on it but i need to get more rounds through it and work up some loads. Here it is:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fJ6RJTP/1/2d2e35f1/X2/i-fJ6RJTP-X2.jpg

The .260 distracted me from my .308, too, so it still has a very low round count, but initial load workups was very promising so I plan on spending more time behind it at the range this fall. Especially once I can get my Griffin Paladin in my hands, which has been a bit of a fiasco and I'm waiting for my THIRD request for a duplicate copy of my approved Form 4. Right now my 18" 5.56 w/ Recce 5 is about the most fun I can have on the bench.

mustangfreek
13 September 2018, 00:31
Nice rifle boiler, but that xanthos set needs a real stock.. :)

BoilerUp
13 September 2018, 05:51
Nice rifle boiler, but that xanthos set needs a real stock.. :)

I usually move an STR onto it when I'm shooting from the bench, but the MFT is fine for the field.

What would you recommend? I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Joelski
17 September 2018, 18:49
Pre-reaction rod test fit. Really happy with the way this is turning out. Gonna slap on a Magpul 'pod and figure out what optic to start saving for.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/831f1ed9841af79111aa22db05ae54ef.jpg

Joelski
17 September 2018, 18:53
What would you recommend? I'm trying to keep the weight down.

A SOPMOD would look good and is worth every extra ounce. If not, a Bravo, or an ACS-L would shave an ounce or two and still get you a hell of a nicer stock than the MFT. That's like putting steel wheels on an AMG SLR.

JMJ
18 September 2018, 03:51
Pre-reaction rod test fit. Really happy with the way this is turning out. Gonna slap on a Magpul 'pod and figure out what optic to start saving for.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/831f1ed9841af79111aa22db05ae54ef.jpg

Looks awesome brother!

Completely agree with you on suggesting the SOPMOD and ACS-L, have both on AR-15’s and really like them. Also Boiler not sure on your length of pull preferences, but the ACS-L is a little longer than the others mentioned if you like not having to extend the stock as much or if you want one that fully closes on an A5/Armalite buffer tube.

TENTEX
5 October 2018, 13:58
Remy 260

https://i.imgur.com/DMTzQwZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dEKCd3F.jpg

BoilerUp
5 October 2018, 21:26
Remy 260

https://i.imgur.com/DMTzQwZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dEKCd3F.jpg

I like that. Really dig the color. Looks heavy, though.

SINNER
6 October 2018, 01:59
I like that. Really dig the color. Looks heavy, though.

Might want to look closer. That carbon wrapped barrel likely makes it lighter than most with a 16” standard barrel.

Slippers
6 October 2018, 05:10
Might want to look closer. That carbon wrapped barrel likely makes it lighter than most with a 16” standard barrel.

Not sure if that's a proof, but depending on the model, they tend to weigh about the same as normal barrels.

For example, the 16" 223 proof is 1 lb 11 oz while a bcm 16" elw is 1 lb 6 oz, and a 16" government profile is 1 lb 12 oz.

Or the balistic advantage 20" 6.5 creedmoor tac gov profile is 2 lb 13 oz while the proof of same length and chambering is 1 oz less.

Sure, they weigh less than heavy profile barrels, so it just depends on what you make the comparison against.

BoilerUp
6 October 2018, 08:08

Anything with a PRS on it looks heavy to me.

TENTEX
6 October 2018, 08:50
Color is custom Distressed OD Green cerakote. Barrel is Proof Research PR10 260 Rem in 20”. Not a light gun but not too heavy. I got the build specs somewhere.

mustangfreek
24 February 2019, 00:40
Bump cause I’m curious

What’s everyone’s aero or other 308 builds weighing in at? What length barrel, scoped or dot..

BoilerUp
24 February 2019, 13:53
Bump cause I’m curious

What’s everyone’s aero or other 308 builds weighing in at? What length barrel, scoped or dot..

My Aero Precision M5 build w/ JP 18" barrel and LMOS bolt carrier weigh just over 8 pounds without glass. My Razor HD on a Bobro adds another 3 pounds 12 ounces.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gfwR2BS/0/4a89d04e/X3/i-gfwR2BS-X3.jpg

My 2A Xanthos build with Wilson Combat 18" 7mm-08 barrel, JP LMOS bolt carrier, and some V7 parts comes in at 7 pounds flat w/o glass, and my Zeiss Conquest V6 in Geissele Super Precision mount adds another 2 pounds.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Gmw5rcK/0/e55a18e9/X3/i-Gmw5rcK-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pbN5zMJ/0/66315ef0/X3/i-pbN5zMJ-X3.jpg

When I really care about weight, I switch to the small frame side: my deer rifle is a 6.8SPC which weighs 7 pounds 3 ounces with the Razor LH 1.5-8x32:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bCht5MZ/0/b0ee4915/X3/i-bCht5MZ-X3.jpg

mustangfreek
24 February 2019, 23:31
Hey boiler thanks for the reply.

8lbs doesn’t sound bad, but then that razor is chunky.. almost 4 pound setup...dang..

7lbs sounds even better. Nice rifle. For some reason I thought you had a 260 setup

BoilerUp
25 February 2019, 05:45
Hey boiler thanks for the reply.

8lbs doesn’t sound bad, but then that razor is chunky.. almost 4 pound setup...dang..

7lbs sounds even better. Nice rifle. For some reason I thought you had a 260 setup

I just swapped the 20" BHW .260 barrel out for the 18" WC 7mm-08. I'll probably put that .260 barrel into another upper for the M5 eventually. I bought the .260 when there were no reasonably priced 7mm-08 barrrels on the market but I always really wanted the 7mm-08. Wilson Combat released 7mm-08 barrels recently and had them on sale over Christmas so I picked one up. Really no reason to have both 7mm-08 and .260, but if I ever pick up a Tikka T3X TAC A1 it will probably be in .260 so I expect to keep the caliber around and use 7mm-08 for hunting (which is why I wanted the lighter weight) and .260 for paper.

Joelski
25 February 2019, 13:31
Wilson's offering their Armor Tuff coating on their barrels now. Kinda torn between one of those and a 20" fluted UM from Rainier Arms. The 18" BA on mine is the heavy profile and it just feels heavy with that girthy rail. Fluted but longer will be a wash, but I'm certain it'll feel a little more nimble with a skinnier rail.

JMJ
26 February 2019, 16:31
My Aero M5 with a 20” BA med heavy is right at 9# without optic.

mustangfreek
27 February 2019, 00:06
Joelski ..I’m not exactly sure but going from a 18” to a 20” of about any kind is probably gonna be a wash in weight.[BD]

Jmj.. thanks

JMJ
6 March 2019, 11:49
No problem, glad to help!

Joelski
6 March 2019, 13:47
Joelski ..I’m not exactly sure but going from a 18” to a 20” of about any kind is probably gonna be a wash in weight.[BD]

Oh, I'm not worried about that. Aeros are just gonna be a heavy gun and there ain't much that can be done about it. Birth hips in the beam, but comfy in the cockpit, IYKWIM. [:D]

JMJ
7 March 2019, 03:49
Oh, I'm not worried about that. Aeros are just gonna be a heavy gun and there ain't much that can be done about it. Birth hips in the beam, but comfy in the cockpit, IYKWIM. [:D]

Exactly, just take your protein powder before you hit the woods with it[:D]

BoilerUp
8 June 2020, 22:24
Changes since last picture include new magpul furniture.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mR8wrJz/0/3ee562d6/X3/i-mR8wrJz-X3.jpg

Joelski
9 June 2020, 03:50
Hah!! Famous throwback! That ole gal will eat your lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day, and still be huntin' a snack! She's definitely a Bertha! [8D]

bfoosh006
4 August 2020, 20:24
Changes since last picture include new magpul furniture.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mR8wrJz/0/3ee562d6/X3/i-mR8wrJz-X3.jpg

FWIW... there is a far, far softer recoil pad available for those Magpul stocks...

https://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Recoil_Pad_for_Magpul_Collapsible_Stocks _p/ls-10025.htm

And great thread, very interesting !

BoilerUp
7 August 2020, 11:36
FWIW... there is a far, far softer recoil pad available for those Magpul stocks...

https://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Recoil_Pad_for_Magpul_Collapsible_Stocks _p/ls-10025.htm

And great thread, very interesting !

It's a kitten for a .308. JP LMOS bolt carrier, JP Silent captured Spring, SLR Sentry AGB, and a suppressor all come together and allow me to tune this into a very mild shooting rifle. Of course, a $35 recoil pad would have been the cheaper option!

BoilerUp
24 October 2021, 12:21
I'm generally a big fan and supporter of Aero Precision, but this one has me a little disappointed. The bolt catch for the M5 is a bit unique in dimensions such that if you want a guaranteed fit and function you really should just stick with the Aero part. So, you really only have one choice which wouldn't be an issue it was a well made part, but this happened to me yesterday and this doesn't sound like a particularly rare issue. Considering I'm using an AGB and Low Mass bolt, this really shouldn't happen. I doubt the lower even has a thousand rounds on it yet.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FjnzPn4/0/99acd65a/X3/i-FjnzPn4-X3.jpg

Luckily I had a spare so I've already replaced it. I'll contact Aero this week as I hear they'll provide replacements. The mag catch on my EPC also broke after a few hundred rounds but I can's say for sure I used an Aero part for that build, although their LPK mince FC is my go-to anymore.

UWone77
24 October 2021, 15:56
You're right, definitely not uncommon to see. I've seen a bunch of those posted in the last year broken online.

I've switched some of my go to and higher volume shooters to FCD ABC's, but they're a pricey upgrade and always out of stock.

Joelski
24 October 2021, 19:14
Rich, do you know if the FCD part fits the M5 lower and functions properly?

BoilerUp
24 October 2021, 21:37

Was going to ask the same. Just went to the website (https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-v3-762mm-Augmented-Bolt-Catch-Release_p_93.html) and this is one of the customer reviews:

If you buy Aero M5 only bolt catch/release that works perfectly. Better than anyone else’s

Niormally I'd say that $58 for a bolt catch is kind of silly, but now I'll be watching for these to come back in stock.

UWone77
24 October 2021, 23:13

It does. At least, I've had no problems.... yet.

mustangfreek
25 October 2021, 00:47
Humm

I’ve been looking and thinking about the same for a 12.5/m5 setup.

Someone post up if you see some in stock.

BoilerUp
25 October 2021, 18:27
Ah, it looks like Aero changed out their bolt catch somewhere along the way. I replaced my broken one from a spare Aero M5 LPK and it is different. The new one has serrations on the top and bottom, but the one that broke came from an Aero LPK I bought back in 2017 and it looks exactly like this one, which is what they are still showing on their webpage:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-GfbQhCj/0/760cb1e9/M/i-GfbQhCj-M.jpg

mustangfreek
26 October 2021, 23:11
Humm

Ya I’m waiting for a FCD one to pop up, gonna swap it and keep the aero oem as a backup.

Joelski
27 October 2021, 14:35
Humm

Ya I’m waiting for a FCD one to pop up, gonna swap it and keep the aero oem as a backup.

This.

Joelski
27 October 2021, 14:42

Bertha Butt's blatant post building photo bomb. She's a big girl all the way. She might go up to 13 lbs. depending on the size and quantity (She likes both) of the meal, and you better bring flowers and candy, or she'll eat your lunch too. [pop][:D]

PS: The Ti baffles in the can don't help one bit.. :(

BoilerUp
17 November 2021, 07:50
Just wanted to mention that Aero did send me a replacement bolt catch. Unfortunately, FedEx never delivered it then lied about the delivery date after the fact (a day after the planned delivery date they said the Delivery will be reschedule, a few days after that it said it was delivered on the original scheduled date). I have heard of that happening but it was the first time it's happened to me.

UWone77
17 November 2021, 10:33
I have a theory about this because it's happened to me several times and I used to be a package handler for UPS in my college days for a summer.

I think they scan it going onto the truck. It then slips between the cracks "literally" since the package is so small. They then just claim it's been delivered because they can't find it on the truck anymore and go about their day. We'd find small envelope packages all the time in between the gaps between the trucks and loading dock.

Joelski
17 November 2021, 14:13
Just wanted to mention that Aero did send me a replacement bolt catch. Unfortunately, FedEx never delivered it then lied about the delivery date after the fact (a day after the planned delivery date they said the Delivery will be reschedule, a few days after that it said it was delivered on the original scheduled date). I have heard of that happening but it was the first time it's happened to me.

FedEx has a frequent habit of "rescheduling" deliveries, and I call sketchy bullshit!

MoxyDave
18 November 2021, 09:59
I think they are just way too optimistic. They call it "shipped" before it even leaves their building. Every time I've had a delivery from JM Bullion, for example, my shipment date has been extended by a couple days and I got several emails saying "blah blah rescheduled". I'm quite patient so it doesn't bug me but still, just be honest guys!

BoilerUp
19 November 2021, 12:16
Funny, FedEx just dropped off the delivery from Aero Precision, 18 days after they said it was delivered to my front porch (and about 3 weeks after Aero shipped it - I live about 1 hour away from Aero). And I can confim that Aero's current Bolt Catch is different than the one they included my LPK 4 years ago.

alamo5000
19 November 2021, 14:14
Funny, FedEx just dropped off the delivery from Aero Precision, 18 days after they said it was delivered to my front porch (and about 3 weeks after Aero shipped it - I live about 1 hour away from Aero). And I can confim that Aero's current Bolt Catch is different than the one they included my LPK 4 years ago.

You could have walked over to Aero and picked it up a lot faster than 18 days.

mustangfreek
19 November 2021, 23:13
I’ve had nothing but long F’ing delays and excuses from FedEx
F them
Ordered some small items from primary arms, took FedEx , 26 days..lol

BoilerUp
6 March 2022, 09:28
Tinkering with the M5 again. Swapped out the optic, stock, and grip.

Optic - I moved the Razor over to my new Savage 110 Elite Precision bolt gun. The Razor was a little "too nice" for this build, so I replaced it with a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 that I got on closeout from EuroOptic (discontinued EBR-2D reticle) for $550. These have a good reputation for the price so I had been wanting to try one and this seems like a good pairing. Also, after always being an "MOA guy", I decided to go with MIL so I could start working on becoming fluent in both. For mounting, after considering many other and cheaper options, I also picked up another Bobro. I was really looking for a good excuse to try a new / different mount but just couldn't find anything compelling when I've been so happy with Bobro. The M5 has quite a bit of top rail so didn't need the extended mount like you would want for an AR-15.

Stock - While I've been generally happy with the Magpul STR for this rifle, I wanted to experiment with PRS style stocks. The LMT DMR stock caught my attention because it mounts on a standard carbine buffer tube and also lets you use the adjustments/notches on the tube. That versatility appealed to me, plus I'm an LMT fanboy. Picked up the DMR 556 on TOS EE. Used it for the first time yesterday. Initial impression is very positive. You can use the DMR 556 on a 308, but the Charging Handle will be blocked by the cheek riser when the stock is fully collapsed. One detent out on the carbine buffer fixes that (as pictured). I like this well enough that I'll look for a deal on a DMR 308 and then move this over to my 20" Rainier Ultra Match .223 build. These are really nice stocks and while a bit more expensive than some competing offerings, I'm surprised these aren't more popular given they mount directly on a Carbine tube.

Grip - Was running the MOE grip but after enjoying my experience and results shooting with the vertical grip on the MDT ACC chassis for my bolt gun, I wanted to try a more vertical grip on this rifle. Added a B5 P-Grip and after one session I think I'll like this. I didn't realize that B5 had updated to this version of grip as I had the prior versions with no texture and that was my only complaint. Now that they've addressed that I think I'll pick up another one or two to try on my SBRs that are running MOE K2+ grips. I thought I'd like the overmolded rubber of the K2+ but was leaning towards moving back to the BCM Gunfighter grips as I think I prefer those over the K2+.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8HvksRb/0/14cbc3da/X3/i-8HvksRb-X3.jpg

Jerry R
6 March 2022, 09:50
Nice !