PDA

View Full Version : HPA & National CCW Reciprocity

JoshAston
10 January 2017, 09:10
It's back and with a much better chance of actually passing and being signed into law this time around. So call your reps and tell them to support this. Call your senators and tell them to introduce a companion bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367

If you don't know who your congressmen are, go here (http://whoismyrepresentative.com/) and enter your zip code. You'll need the bill's number, H.R. 367 when you call. And yes, you need to call. Calling is the most effective method, written letters second, e-mails third.

Before you call, take a few minutes to get your message together. Be respectful, no need to go into a diatribe on silencers v. suppressors or anything like that. Just tell the aide that you're talking to that it's important to you that your representative support this bill. Let them know you'd like to see your rep sign on as a cosponsor if they haven't already.

Remember, don't ask your senators to support this bill, it's a House bill that has nothing to do with them. Instead ask them to introduce a companion bill in the Senate.

And while you're at it, throw in a good word for this one too. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38

fledge
10 January 2017, 09:16
HPA I support and sent letters.

I like national reciprocity as a thing but not sure I like congress making laws about it. Would need good reason why that wouldn't be a SNAFU of a precedent leading to crazy regulation in the future.

JoshAston
10 January 2017, 09:26
Firearms aren't a states right issue in my opinion. The Second Amendment doesn't grant individuals the right to keep and bear arms. It grants the federal government the authority to prevent states and locales from infringing on the individual's right to keep and bear arms because that right is paramount to a well regulated militia which is necessary for the safety and security of a free state.

While I don't believe that legislation is necessarily the best way to do it, this is happening. And this is the best written national reciprocity bill I've seen yet.

SINNER
10 January 2017, 10:05
I see you are from Maryland too. Have you ever got any response other than a canned "We will consider your concerns" BS? I've actually had an aide laugh and hang up on me within the first sentence of why I'm calling. Hate this hellhole of a state. I hope the Feds can actually help.

JoshAston
10 January 2017, 10:27
I see you are from Maryland too. Have you ever got any response other than a canned "We will consider your concerns" BS? I've actually had an aide laugh and hang up on me within the first sentence of why I'm calling. Hate this hellhole of a state. I hope the Feds can actually help.I'm a TX resident, not MD. I'm just stationed here. And I agree, I hate this state. The HPA does have a MD rep as a cosponsor though.

SINNER
10 January 2017, 11:03
Yeah, I know Andy quite well. My father did a few fundraisers for him before my Dad bailed and went to Florida. He also used to have fund raisers at our local skeet club.

fledge
10 January 2017, 13:59
Firearms aren't a states right issue in my opinion. The Second Amendment doesn't grant individuals the right to keep and bear arms. It grants the federal government the authority to prevent states and locales from infringing on the individual's right to keep and bear arms because that right is paramount to a well regulated militia which is necessary for the safety and security of a free state.

While I don't believe that legislation is necessarily the best way to do it, this is happening. And this is the best written national reciprocity bill I've seen yet.

I agree it's not a state's rights issue. That's why I think SCOTUS should rule on that and let the executive branch enforce it. When the legislators plays judge and enforcer, it sets the precedent that the gun controllers can regulate even more. I'd prefer the strategy of letting unconstitutional things be declared such and keep our rights by fiat of the Constitution rather than whatever color the legislature is that year. That's my hesitation on supporting national reciprocity in that manner at this time.

n4p226r
12 January 2017, 11:16
as a NJ resident i HOPE HOPE HOPE these pass. even if they do nothing for me day 1.