PDA

View Full Version : buying AR-advice please!!!

lfgmike
19 March 2009, 14:32
Hi everybody;
My name is Mike, and like many people, I'm going to buy my first assault rifle before that right is taken away by the government. I have a 12g Remington and 357 Python revolver, so I'm not new to guns, just AR's. I've got about $1500 to spend, and would like guidance on what a good investment for someone like myself- I've kinda looked at the Armalite and S and W offerings. Any suggestions on what should I be looking at? Thanks in advance!!

Stickman
19 March 2009, 14:58
Are you looking to by just an AR15, or are you looking to buy one and outfit it with accessories at that price?

If you are looking to buy just the weapon, you have a lot of options that will get you into a top of the line AR. I hesitate to answer much more until we know which direction to go with this.

lfgmike
19 March 2009, 15:17
Thanks Stickman!
I know there are many upgrades that can escalate the price, but for my purposes-home protection/investment/limited target shooting on a range(maybe once twice a year).

adrenaline151
19 March 2009, 17:15
I've looked over quite a few ARs in the last few days, and bought a Daniel Defense, and I can't recommend it enough. You can get one for around 1600$ and you are getting a deal. You're going to pay almost that for a plain jane M4 copy in most cases, and it seems like the price is creeping up every day on all ARs, DD included. I recommend Rainier and if you want anything added or changed on the rifle they will do it, which is great for people who are new to the AR platform, and even those who just don't have the tools or confidence to pull one apart and put it back together.
Take a gander at Stickmans reviews, and read up as much as you can before you buy. You don't want to go through the pain and anguish of coming home with a bone-stock Bushy and then find out for another hundred bucks you could have had an LMT/DD/Noveske :P (Depending on model and availability, of course!)
Good luck! Let us know what you choose!!

lfgmike
19 March 2009, 18:34
Thanks, yes I'm new to this arena. I am going to check out Daniel Defense tonight. Thank you for the advice, -Mike

Army Chief
19 March 2009, 22:37
DD is a new player in this game, but one which comes to the table holding a lot of aces. From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Barring this, I still tend to favor starting off with a Colt if that is feasible. It's always better (and less costly) to invest in quality the first time than it is to have to "work your way up to it" over time. This is going to put you near the top of your "want to spend" figure, but you can save a bit if you consider something like the Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine (Model AR 6721) instead of the high-demand Colt Law Enforcement Carbine (Model LE 6920).

Wherever you begin this journey, you can always make changes later; the important thing right now is to get your foot in the door with something that is correctly assembled from premium components. Even when you're dealing with a reputable vendor, you're going to find that pricing is a bit inflated at the moment; that said, for the most part the old axiom holds true -- you get what you pay for.

AC

airborneski
20 March 2009, 04:50
I just got an ad for Gander Mountain. Bushmaster A-3 M4 style 1099.00. Get that and stock up on ammo.

ballistic
20 March 2009, 05:05
For that price range, you might want to check out the new S&W M&P15 MOE. I'd also recommend setting up notifications (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1040) for an LMT16, you never know and timing in this climate is everything.

rob_s
20 March 2009, 07:17
OP, that's a good budget, and should allow you to buy a quality firearm that will last you a lifetime and adapt itself as your needs change.

I'm curious, however, about this statement:

home protection/investment/limited target shooting on a range(maybe once twice a year).
Does this mean that you only intend to fire the gun a very limited amount, twice a year, on a target range?

Personally, if I was going to use a particular firearm for defensive purposes, or thought that I might need to, I would want to shoot it a hell of a lot more often than that, and in much more dynamic scenarios. I know it's not what you asked, but training classes and (good) competition shooting are excellent ways to do this, and happen to be a hell of a lot of fun as well.

As to your original question, the Chief has it right. If Colt is an option, Colt is the answer, and if you're looking for an M4-pattern carbine with a budget of $1500, Colt is absolutely an option.

You may find this article (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA) to be of some use. Read the explanation on the second tab. Take notes while you do and write down each feature that you think might be something you'd need or want. I'd suggest three columns: "want/don't want/might want" and just write down each feature in one of the three columns. Then use the chart on the last tab to find the make/model that has the features you want.

Army Chief
20 March 2009, 07:37
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/Skulls_Final.jpg

[:D][:D][:D]

AC

lfgmike
20 March 2009, 13:45
OP, that's a good budget, and should allow you to buy a quality firearm that will last you a lifetime and adapt itself as your needs change.

I'm curious, however, about this statement:

Does this mean that you only intend to fire the gun a very limited amount, twice a year, on a target range?

Personally, if I was going to use a particular firearm for defensive purposes, or thought that I might need to, I would want to shoot it a hell of a lot more often than that, and in much more dynamic scenarios. I know it's not what you asked, but training classes and (good) competition shooting are excellent ways to do this, and happen to be a hell of a lot of fun as well.

As to your original question, the Chief has it right. If Colt is an option, Colt is the answer, and if you're looking for an M4-pattern carbine with a budget of $1500, Colt is absolutely an option.

You may find this article (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA) to be of some use. Read the explanation on the second tab. Take notes while you do and write down each feature that you think might be something you'd need or want. I'd suggest three columns: "want/don't want/might want" and just write down each feature in one of the three columns. Then use the chart on the last tab to find the make/model that has the features you want.

You read that right; I work finance dept. in a car dealership-I work so many hours(and God bless, I'm thankful to be working given the economy) that my freetime is extremely limited-have a newborn baby girl as well. Therefore, if I get out to fire a few rounds here and there, that's great, just time is scarce. But I will get one soon, because I am 99.9% positive that this right will be taken away very soon. I thank you for the response, I'm checking out the Colt online right now!!!
-Mike