PDA

View Full Version : Decent post about cleaning your AR15

ShooterScott
17 January 2017, 08:19
This might be kind of obvious to most people, but to a noob like me this was very helpful. Didn't realize how important cleaning you weapon was until I read about the safety repurcussions, and also for the longevity of the weapon.

Former11B
17 January 2017, 08:28
Does anyone push a rod through from the chamber to the muzzle? I pull it in the same direction, but I can't imagine pushing it.

Also, Q-Tips were not on his cleaning supplies list. If Q-Tips didn't exist....my guns would be dirty I guess

DeviantLogic
17 January 2017, 09:09
Keeping your firearms fairly clean is a good idea [BD]

Does anyone push a rod through from the chamber to the muzzle? I pull it in the same direction, but I can't imagine pushing it.

Also, Q-Tips were not on his cleaning supplies list. If Q-Tips didn't exist....my guns would be dirty I guess

Yep, I use a dewey cleaning rod and push from the chamber to the muzzle. Was always taught to do it that way. Prefer using nylon brushes and jags.

He mentions q-tips at one point, but said something about the cotton fibers. I use long q-tips sometimes, but also just use cleaning patches/cloths wrapped around brushes, coated paper clips, or whatever helps get the cloth into the spot I'm trying to clean.

If it's something I shoot on a regular basis then most the time I'll just do a quick clean...for AR's that basically means running a bore snake through the barrel, wiping down the upper/lower cavities with a rag, and scrubbing the bolt carrier group then re-lubricating. Total time is probably 5 minutes. Every 4th-5th time I'll do a deeper clean.

Former11B
17 January 2017, 09:32
I always encounter some resistance and find pulling it from chamber to muzzle easier. I guess mileage may vary.

The quality of the Q-Tip really matter; brand name Q-Tips are tightly wound, whereas the cheap store brand ones are usually very loose. Also, medical grade q-tips, like the long stemmed applicators, are VERY tightly spun so as not to contaminate a wound when applying iodine, neosporin, etc.

MoxyDave
17 January 2017, 09:56
When I first started out I detailed my guns after every range trip. It took me a while to learn that I was wasting my time. The boresnake might be the best invention ever for guns! Nowadays a toothbrush and boresnake is all I ever use and it takes me about 5 minutes to clean an AR. I keep a rod strictly for removing a stuck case, in the rare event that happens ...

fledge
17 January 2017, 10:44
Is this an Optics Planet shill? Every post of his has links to them. I refuse to buy from there.

Uffdaphil
17 January 2017, 12:24
Mostly for handguns, these RamRodz don't shed and come in handy for some hard to reach AR spots. I use the .40 and .50 when possible as I have nothing in those calibers. Cut wood stems work well for scraping gunk out of tight spots especially pistol slide rails.

UWone77
17 January 2017, 13:20
Is this an Optics Planet shill? Every post of his has links to them. I refuse to buy from there.

I deleted his link.

OP, I've asked about your affiliation on your last post. Unless you provide an answer, you won't be posting here much longer.

gatordev
17 January 2017, 14:30

I've found that tip size and cloth thickness tend to affect how easy (or if it's even possible) it is to push through. When I end up getting thicker cloth patches, I sometimes use a .17 jag. I've also found that sometimes a Dewey jag goes through easier than a cheapo Chinese jag. Either way, at this point I just use a Dewey carbon rod and a chamber guide to make it all work.

Q-Tips you say....guess I should get some of those and maybe my chambers might actually get a little love.

And yes, I mentioned tip size and pushing through. You're welcome.

DeviantLogic
17 January 2017, 14:47
You forgot to mention having a towel ready for any liquid that comes out.

Joelski
17 January 2017, 15:17
A rod comes in handy if you follow the instructions for breaking in a match grade barrel. Optics Planet is a synonym for Over Priced.

gatordev
17 January 2017, 15:21
A rod comes in handy if you follow the instructions for breaking in a match grade barrel.

Now you've done it...

Joelski
17 January 2017, 15:23
I take it back! I TAKE it BACK!!!!

What'd I do? [:D]

din
19 January 2017, 18:33
You forgot to mention having a towel ready for any liquid that comes out.