PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense rail systems

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 16:33
I am currently in the market for a new rail system and have narrowed it down to the Daniel Defense free float 9.0 length. My question is regarding three different rail systems:

9.0 M4 free float handguard

9.0 Omega free float

Lite rail 9.0

All three rail systems are relatively similar but I am curious which ones you all have either owned, still own, or have at least used. What your impressions. Any major differences between the three. If you had to choose, which one would it be and why!

Venom
19 March 2009, 16:59
take the omega if you dont want to modify your rifle. its a "drop in system"

jeffy
19 March 2009, 16:59
If you can remove your Flash hider then the Lite probably makes the most sense. Only reason to go with the Omega is if you can't remove the FSB to replace the barrel nut. The M4 costs the same as the Lite so it why not go lite?

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 17:06
There will be no FSB...just a Vltor low profile gas block! Out of the three the Omega would cost me about $25 less! I'm kind of leaning towards the Omega unless a convincing argument for something else comes up!

Keebsley
19 March 2009, 20:27
If it means anything to you, the Omega will allow a continuous top rail so there wouldn't be a gap. That's if it is a deal breaker or not.

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 21:13
The continuous rail was an added bonus. All three appear to be high quality so I do not think there really is a wrong answer here. One, I don't remember which one, uses a 6 bolt system which looks very solid.

Army Chief
19 March 2009, 22:46
While the traditional school of thought has always been that the free float option reins supreme, the advent of the Omega really changed the ground rules in this regard. Some will still favor the conventional configurations, of course, but the Omega really offers most of their advantages, without the liability of being more or less a permanent installation. You're still getting a functional "free float" solution either way.

You're likely correct in that DD doesn't really provide any "wrong" answers to this question, but I tend to think that the Omega has altered the basic question quite a bit, and these days, it is probably most instructive to ask "why wouldn't the Omega meet my needs?" There aren't many substantive answers to that particular question.

AC

John Hwang
19 March 2009, 23:16
Some benefits of each
OMEGA - Easy install without modifying your upper.
M4 - Wider to fit cans & KX3 inside.
LITE - If you know how to rebarrel your upper, this is your best bet. The barrel nut (which is steel) can be torqued to exactly what you want. Bolt up system that is the sturdiest in the business. One piece for additional strength.

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 23:16
Well put! I couldn't agree more! The Omega appears to provide ease of installation, rock solid set-up, and is not permanent. The continous top rail is also very nice. I will post some pics once everything is set-up. Thanks for the help.

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 23:24
John,

Your reply came in seconds before mine! That is good information to know.

Iowa is a non-can state, unfortunately, so I guess the M4 is off the list!

As for re-barreling my upper I do not have any experience in that area..yet!

As things stand right now I think I will be going with the Omega. Thanks for all of the input. I know I learned quite a bit!

jeffy
19 March 2009, 23:26
The continuous rail was an added bonus. All three appear to be high quality so I do not think there really is a wrong answer here. One, I don't remember which one, uses a 6 bolt system which looks very solid.That would be the Lite.

The Omega clamps onto the barrel nut with 4 Allen screws. The 4 Allen screws then press against the barrel nut. That would be it's weakest link.

The M4 has a threaded ring that traps the proprietary barrel nut. Then the rail screws on and uses index pins to align it.

The Lite also has a proprietary nut but uses a mounting plate with hex bolts rather then threads and indexing pins for the rail.

DD M4
http://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/85925184ffa9077c901b2c45206b95fb.jpg
DD Omega
http://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/09304089eb6467b71d7f3a9410912ed9.jpg
DD Lite
http://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/6074f39c13c26dfe23377370439d4895.jpg

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 23:41
jeffy,

You are killin me man! The explanation along with the pictures explains quite a bit. Now I'm back on the fence. Lite or Omega. Removing the gas block would not be difficult I'm just curious how much of a difference I would notice, if any, between the two. There is obviously the price which is of some concern but not a huge factor. If anyone has used the Omega can you advise if the set-up is rock solid or is there any play or wobble. Just curious.

gotm4
20 March 2009, 04:58
I've installed many of all three. Of the 3 I'd go with the 9" Lite Rail.

Policetacteam
20 March 2009, 05:37
I'm strongly considering it!

Army Chief
20 March 2009, 06:02
Provided that I were in a situation where a pseudo-permanent solution would best meet my needs, I would certainly agree with the Lite recommendation. If the level of surety is somewhat lower, as is so often the case when we see these kinds of questions asked, I'm sure that we would agree that the Omega gives us a better removable option than we've ever had in the past. Pretty much any DD solution is going to more than meet the need, but defining that need is often the most difficult part of the process.

AC

John Hwang
20 March 2009, 10:02
Not everyone has the knowledge to install a lite. If that's the case, the OMEGA will serve you well. I've only had one OMEGA returned due to "loose" fit. Come to find out, it was because his factory Bushmaster had a barrel nut that was loose from the factory. So, we never had an OMEGA fail to date that I'm aware of.

Stickman
20 March 2009, 10:31
For overall most bombproof rail, the Lite rail is going to win it (actually the DD RIS II series would win but the Lite rail is based off it).

The Omega is the easiest FF rail to drop on, and I work with plenty of LEO who are using them on their duty weapons without any of them ever having a problem. These are guys who are deploying the weapon on a regular basis.

For myself, I chose the Lite rail for my duty pig, and although I did that before the Omega rail came out, I would still make the same decision.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_7611%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%20II/IMG_5083%201028%20Stick.jpg

jeffy
20 March 2009, 10:58
jeffy,

You are killin me man! The explanation along with the pictures explains quite a bit. Now I'm back on the fence. Lite or Omega. Removing the gas block would not be difficult I'm just curious how much of a difference I would notice, if any, between the two. There is obviously the price which is of some concern but not a huge factor. If anyone has used the Omega can you advise if the set-up is rock solid or is there any play or wobble. Just curious.Like the others have said it all depends on what you want to do. You have to ask your self a few questions; 'Do I want to take apart the barrel?' , 'How permanent do I want it?'.

Since you have a lo-pro gas block and your FH isn't pinned then that really gives you a lot of options. I had John install my Omega. The main reason for getting it is that my FH was pinned so it limited my choices. I can say my Omega has no movement.

Here's another comparison of the 4 different DD rails.

http://www.danieldefense.com/img/raildimscomp.gif

Policetacteam
20 March 2009, 22:38
jeffy,

The diagrams make it even easier to compare. I decided to go with the Lite 9.0 based on what everyone has said and also because I got a smoking good price that I couldn't pass on. Rock River Arms will also do the install of the rail so I won't have to worry about doing any gunsmithing that I may not be ready for. Everyone was a huge a help! This site is an excellent resource and everyone offers a lot of know how and experience. Thanks, Paul

Stickman
21 March 2009, 11:18
Good call, its an outstanding rail.

Creeky73
22 March 2009, 12:03
my two cents here. I own the 7.0 Omega Rail, and so far, I love it. I have put maybe 150 rounds through my AR since installing it, and I know that isn't enough to form a true opinion yet, but so far, it has not shifted zero. I am confident in it enough that it will be the mount for my optic, when I get one. One of the main reasons I got it was because I made a "no gunsmith" rule on all of my upgrades, and I have zero experience with working on guns. It still went on super easy (hardest part was getting the original guard off, especially without those special tools) and I don't think it is going anywhere. Whether or not it will truly hold zero for an optic after a few thousand rounds, we'll see.

Venom
21 May 2009, 13:59
hope this is the right thread to ask, if not, pls delete.

does anyone have a pic of a midlength rifle with a 12inch omegarail mounted? (with a lowpro gasblock)
thanks!

Stickman
21 May 2009, 15:36
One of the LEO here carries his duty carbine setup that way. I think his thread is in the AR section. IIRC, he likes his setup quite a bit.

Cameron
21 May 2009, 18:22
Don't be a doofus get the LITE rail.

I rail so nice I bought it thrice... [:D]

does anyone have a pic of a midlength rifle with a 12inch omegarail mounted? (with a lowpro gasblock)
thanks!
Third rifle below is a 16" midlength gas system and 12" Lite rail

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/LMT%20CQBR/CQB3.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/Colt%20HBAR/ColtHBARVLTOR03.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/Daniel%20Defense%20SPR/DanDefenseSPR001.jpg

OfcPowder
21 May 2009, 21:37
One of the LEO here carries his duty carbine setup that way. I think his thread is in the AR section. IIRC, he likes his setup quite a bit.

Yup that's mine, I love it. Instead of a low-pro block, I simply shaved my FSB, leaving the pinned gas block for superb durability. I have shot a few hundred through this and have had no shift. I had a 7.0 and shot several thousand rounds and never had an issue with my optic losing zero.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z91/jwilliams028/DSC_1200.jpg

Venom
22 May 2009, 00:40
awesome, thanks guys!

HS2
22 May 2009, 08:00
I have an Omega and an M4. They are both great products and you can't go wrong with DD.

That being said, I prefer the Omega. It is slightly thinner and installation took less than ten minutes with no special tools.

federalist22
22 May 2009, 11:12
I have the Omega 7 Piston on my carbine and it will not be the last one I buy from them--I have 2 more that need an upgrade to a DD rail, both are DPMS tubes on LR-308 platforms.

lanceriley
23 May 2009, 02:28
I use the lite rail. it took me some time to install it. (im not mechanically inclined) it is a really great platform. and im very confident in it. this is the 1st time I have a free float ar. so I love the accuracy

Ryo
23 May 2009, 23:23
Excellent info on the differences..
Personally i would go for the Lite rail.