PDA

View Full Version : DD Mk18 FDE upper availability?

Thomas Chagrin
18 January 2017, 13:05
Hello, all! I am in the process of an SBR build and want to base it on a DD Mk18 upper. I really want the FDE color, but it appears to be out of stock everywhere. Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know if this is an item that should become available again soon? I'd hate to wait for FDE and, in the process, miss out on simply getting the currently-available black version. I appreciate any info or help!

Stone
18 January 2017, 13:09
Play it safe and get the black one and have it Cerakoted.

Thomas Chagrin
18 January 2017, 13:23
Not a bad idea. Thanks!

UWone77
18 January 2017, 13:33
The availability dried up when DD stopped selling them to the consumer market. DD MK18 RIS II Rails normally sell now for $500-700 on the secondary market. Other RIS II versions sell for less.

Anyhow, unless DD starts selling them again you may either kick yourself for not getting the black one you're talking about, or kick yourself for getting it as DD is selling them again. I'm not sure what their future plans are for the RIS Rail.

Thomas Chagrin
18 January 2017, 13:54
Yeah I totally hear what you're saying. It would only be a minor annoyance to me if the FDE becomes available again when I have the black version but I'd totally kick myself if the Mk18 becomes completely unavailable. I'll probably place an order. ;-) Thanks for the opinions!

Joelski
18 January 2017, 13:58
Unless you're looking to relive your S.O. days, or get praise for a dead-nuts replica, it just ain't worth going down that hole. The DD is a good gun, but it suffers from being over-gassed in order to run crappy steel case ammo. The full quad rail is so 2005 and just adds crazy weight you won't like carrying around for any length of time. Unless you specifically want a factory-built rifle, you can definitely do better in terms of weight and functionality by building your own interpretation based loosely around the CQBR spec. That would actually be a switch from a rifle that was standard issue for all its cool history, to a functional, well thought-out, high performance, hard use ridle for everything from competition to home defense.

Thomas Chagrin
18 January 2017, 14:36
Totally valid points. I appreciate the input and will keep that in mind! I was never in the service - I'm just a gun enthusiast that likes certain things for difficult-to-define reasons. I struggle with the build vs. buy ideas when it comes to a 10.5" upper. I do like the idea of a factory upper but I do realize that I could probably do just as well (better?) with my own build. For me it's a toss-up. I'd hate to have to start messing with an adjustable gas block to get it to run right - then I'll always think "ugh, should have just built my own....". I don't know...

UWone77
18 January 2017, 15:06
Another option is to buy a complete MK18 Upper as they're still available.

UWone77
18 January 2017, 15:08
Unless you're looking to relive your S.O. days, or get praise for a dead-nuts replica, it just ain't worth going down that hole. The DD is a good gun, but it suffers from being over-gassed in order to run crappy steel case ammo. The full quad rail is so 2005 and just adds crazy weight you won't like carrying around for any length of time. Unless you specifically want a factory-built rifle, you can definitely do better in terms of weight and functionality by building your own interpretation based loosely around the CQBR spec. That would actually be a switch from a rifle that was standard issue for all its cool history, to a functional, well thought-out, high performance, hard use ridle for everything from competition to home defense.

Unless you get a Mil spec'ed MK18 upper with the proper gas port. They are out there, just not readily available.

The weight IMHO is negligible. I have 3 MK18 RIS II Uppers and since they're 10.3" SBR's I don't even notice the weight.

SINNER
18 January 2017, 15:20
Love quad rails and DD are still one of the best made.

BoilerUp
18 January 2017, 16:53
Didn't DD just move into a new and larger production facility? I'm hoping that may improve the supply in due time.

gatordev
18 January 2017, 17:57
Didn't DD just move into a new and larger production facility? I'm hoping that may improve the supply in due time.

The facility isn't finished yet. I believe June was the ECD.

Reading between the lines, it seemed like that was going to help with their throughput so they can start meeting more civilian demand. I believe a lot of their device time got sucked up by contracts over the last year, plus. Then again, it's all internet second-hand info, so take it for what it's worth.

Joelski
19 January 2017, 03:29
Totally valid points. I appreciate the input and will keep that in mind! I was never in the service - I'm just a gun enthusiast that likes certain things for difficult-to-define reasons. I struggle with the build vs. buy ideas when it comes to a 10.5" upper. I do like the idea of a factory upper but I do realize that I could probably do just as well (better?) with my own build. For me it's a toss-up. I'd hate to have to start messing with an adjustable gas block to get it to run right - then I'll always think "ugh, should have just built my own....". I don't know...

The only reason I need is "it's fn cool and I want one". Same answer I give my gf, and my cop buddies when they say "what do you need one of those for?". [:D]

Thomas Chagrin
19 January 2017, 04:16
Another option is to buy a complete MK18 Upper as they're still available.

Just to clarify, I am talking about getting a complete Daniel Defense Mk18 upper. Sorry for any confusion!

UWone77
19 January 2017, 06:01
Just to clarify, I am talking about getting a complete Daniel Defense Mk18 upper. Sorry for any confusion!

When in doubt... just get both.

Thomas Chagrin
19 January 2017, 10:37
Too awesome.... Sadly, I can see myself doing this if the FDE comes to be available again, hahaha.