PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new guy..

PrimaryClone
19 March 2009, 19:29
Evenin' all (or whatever the case may be),

My name is Rob, I'm 25, and in the Navy. I've come to the decision that it is vital to my continued existence that I own an EBR (more on the reasoning later). I've been a hunter since I was biting ankles, so basic gun terminology, safety, and operation is not lost on me. However, the world of the AR platform is entirely new, so things like brand names, specific features, and even component nomenclature are foreign to me. I know that the AR-style weapon system is versatile - home defense, sport, tactical education, and hunting - in many ways; hence, my interest. In my recent investigatings, I have come up with a few questions that, although they have been asked in the past, need asking again due to "changing times."

First - My preference and background. The things that matter to me are weather durability and reliability. I do NOT care about brand XXXX if the cheaper brand YYYY will be just as good. I'm not looking for a showpiece. I want my .223 to work. Brings me to the purpose - the firearm I want to purchase will be an all-arounder. Home defense and hunting. (As an aside, I shoot a rem 700 police as my primary whitetail rifle). I just don't believe in single-task rifles, so it will ruck with me through the woods and to training classes et al.

Second - I have a very distant (and very expensive) vision of the AR platform becoming (for me) something akin to the T/C Encore idea. Again, I know it is expensive, but there are several viable upper swaps that can make excellent hunting variants (a fact I'm sure is lost on nobody). The reason I bring this up is to reinforce 2 points. One, that this is a LEARNING rifle. I need to become familiar with the platform, the mechanics, the idiosyncrasies oh how an/my AR behaves. Two, it emphasizes the need for nothing fit for a king. If I can train with it, shoot it, clean it, and give it the golden rule treatment, I'm ok with whatever name is tacked on the side.

I made these two points to ask the be-all, end-all question, and list my thought process behind it.

Build or Buy?

I dont even want to list my perceived pro/con behind both building and buying. But the reason I bring up the tired old question is this - I feel like if I built it I'd have a more intimate knowledge of the firearm, BUT, my real question is - is building an AR still considered cheaper than getting one off-the-shelf? There are a few features I know I'd like; flip-sights, short rail, foregrip, certain stock, etc. But I don't know, with the current buying craze, which way is more efficient.

So, all of that being said and thrown around, I appreciate any links, advice, or /haha's tossed my way.

And it's good to be here!

-R.

Dutch
19 March 2009, 21:28
PrimaryClone,

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard. Hopefully this site will provide you with the answers to many questions and a better understanding of AR15's and weapons in general.

My suggestion to you is to buy a weapon. I say to buy when I prefer to build, the availability of parts currently is the major sway factor here. There are many reputable manufacturers out there who will be able to fulfill your needs.

Dutch

Army Chief
19 March 2009, 22:26
I too would recommend that you buy a complete weapon. Over time, most of us will eventually start a build project of one sort or another, but as Dutch said, this probably isn't the time. Parts are already in short supply, and existing production contracts with manufacturers are likely to keep things that way for some time.

The other factor in play here is simply that you're better off starting with something that you know is assembled to spec, so you can concentrate on training, rather than troubleshooting. As you become more familiar with the system, its limitations and capabilities, and the various configurations which best meet your needs, you can always revisit the idea of making changes or starting from scratch. In the near-term, however, there is little inherent advantage -- or immediate cost savings -- in rolling your own.

AC

PrimaryClone
20 March 2009, 04:58
Dutch, Chief,

Thanks for the input. I mulled it over a little last night and that is the way I'm starting to lean as well. I'm going to look at some manufacturer's and resources around this site today and really try to write down some of the pivotal features I want on the weapon. Just have to start figuring out what I can get aftermarket and what I want to come as standard eq. I appreciate the feedback, and more is always welcome.

-R.

PrimaryClone
20 March 2009, 10:29
Kind of threadjacking myself with a quick opinion question ..

Anyone have experience with Stag Rifles? They have an attractive entry price point, I don't see a lot of complaints, and I don't mind a lead time...Anybody?

-R.

alpha.kilo
6 April 2009, 23:47
I have some experience with CMT stripped uppers and lowers. I have also used their LPK. They seemed GTG to me. No complaints. Everything fit. However, I have not had my hands on a complete rifle by Stag so I can't comment directly. Individual parts however, seemed fine.

Eric
7 April 2009, 00:30
Kind of threadjacking myself with a quick opinion question ..

Anyone have experience with Stag Rifles? They have an attractive entry price point, I don't see a lot of complaints, and I don't mind a lead time...Anybody?

-R.
I've had a Stag Model 2 (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=206) for about six months. Overall, not a bad carbine. I have no function issues to report and accuracy has been on par with similar systems, based on the type of shooting I do. The price is reasonable, especially if you consider that the Model 2 comes with a rear BUIS. Stag uses a chrome-lined 1/9 barrel with an F height front sight base. It can be argued that they lack a 1/7 barrel, 4150 barrel steel, M4 feedramps, and proper gas key staking, but you have to decide for yourself if these are a deal breaker for you. The last two items could have been addressed by Stag at little to no cost and it kind of leave me scratching my head why they chose to configure it like that.

The staking (before picture below) was fixed prior to use with a Pocket MOACKS (http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=moacks) and life was good. I'd take a 1/7 twist barrel over a 1/9 given the choice, but the 1/9 works for my usual 55 gr load. Like many things right now, availability is hit and miss.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Carriers/Stag2.jpg