PDA

View Full Version : Wilson chrome moly barrels

Policetacteam
19 March 2009, 22:57
I am curious if anyone can explain the differences between Rock River Arms

Chrome lined chrome moly R-4 barrel vs Chome lined chrome moly lightweight R-4 barrel assembly 1:9 twist.

I realize that the lightweight version is essentially a trimmed up version of the original but does it sacrifice anything in accuracy by being slimmed down. Also, does anyone know the weight differences between the two?

Paulo_Santos
20 March 2009, 07:21
I am curious if anyone can explain the differences between Rock River Arms

Chrome lined chrome moly R-4 barrel vs Chome lined chrome moly lightweight R-4 barrel assembly 1:9 twist.

I realize that the lightweight version is essentially a trimmed up version of the original but does it sacrifice anything in accuracy by being slimmed down. Also, does anyone know the weight differences between the two?

They have two different profiles. The regular one is like an H-Bar/SPR Profile, while the other one is like the Government profile. Huge weight difference. I'd get the Chome lined chrome moly lightweight R-4 barrel assembly, but in the 1:7" twist. As far as accuracy goes, the heavier one should be slightly more accurate, but unless you are shooting off the bench, the differences aren't that much.

Policetacteam
20 March 2009, 22:29
That helps. Appreciate the info! The lightweight sounds good to me as well! I am all for a little weight savings as long as it doesn't cost me much in accuracy!

Army Chief
21 March 2009, 00:23
The traditional rationale for a Heavy Barrel profile goes back to two things: improved "heat sink" properties and a slight accuracy edge. The first is really more of a factor in full-auto applications (and even then, it's an imperfect solution to the problem, since these barrels DO still heat up -- and subsequently take longer to cool back down), but the latter seems to be less and less of an issue as barrels in general continue to improve. (I suppose there is a collateral point to be made here about harmonics, but I'm hardly the guy to address it.) In the end, which makes more sense depends upon your intended applications, though when in doubt, less weight is almost always a winning answer.

AC

Policetacteam
21 March 2009, 14:54
AC,

I would agree! The full auto issue is NOT an issue for me so I think the additional weight savings on my new rig will be an added bonus. Rock River's barrel's are typically very nice and I have had very good luck with them in the past. I hope this barrel will live up to its expectations!

Stickman
21 March 2009, 16:39
PTT,

Lighter is better when we are talking about the role of a patrol carbine. I would NOT go with the heavier profile, especially as in this case it is a lot of weight leveraging out over the front end working against you.

Policetacteam
22 March 2009, 01:46
Stick,

I completely agree with you when talking about a patrol rifle. There have been several times when I have been in a stationary position during stand offs and the rifle can and does become very heavy on extended periods. The weight savings will hopefully prevent some fatigue issues in situations like that.

Stickman
22 March 2009, 09:56
Stick,

I completely agree with you when talking about a patrol rifle. There have been several times when I have been in a stationary position during stand offs and the rifle can and does become very heavy on extended periods. The weight savings will hopefully prevent some fatigue issues in situations like that.

The guys who say "hit the gym" are guys who have never patrolled with a weapon, or have never pulled perimeter duty for a couple hours.

There are more than a few instructors who start out a class by having their students go to a low ready on a target that is 25-50 yards away (low ready meaning pointed in just below the feet of the badguy). After sitting there for 5 minutes or so, the majority of the class figures it out pretty quickly.

For people who think their carbine has reached its evolutionary pinnacle of perfection, grab your carbine, shoulder it, and point in on a light switch from across the room for a full 5 minutes from a standing position. Keep a solid shooting platform, and keep keep your front sight or optic dialed in on the switch. Five minutes isn't long at all, but make sure you use a timer or have someone time you.

Policetacteam
22 March 2009, 19:14
Well put! We did some basic transition drills from carbine to handgun during last month's training. I ran through about 6 pistol mags, very slowly, in full gear. The drill probably ran for about 5 minutes or slightly longer. By the time I completed the drill I was dripping sweat and my shoulders were sore. Having almost any gun at the ready or slightly higher than low ready WILL fatigue just about anyone. It's a good experience that most LE should become accustomed to because at some point they will be on some type of perimeter duty!!