PDA

View Full Version : Cheap compact scope?

EvanHo
25 January 2017, 01:40
I think it's pretty obvious what I'm going to be talking about, based on the title of the topic and everything.

I think it's clear a scope isn't something one can just up and buy on a whim. Some people might do exactly that, come to think of it, but I doubt such an approach is wise unless you've got a lot of money, and even then, it's merely acceptable, not preferable.
I've tried googling for the best compact rifle scope. Suffice to say, I didn't get what I was looking for. Most of the reviews I found weren't most helpful. The first one (http://perfectriflescope.com/best-compact-rifle-scopes-review/), for one, places an expensive Leupold scope on the first place. It may be good and all, but two thousand dollars is a little bit too much. And it's not just the reviews. Amazon didn't really help either. So I've figured just asking here would be a better choice.

Can anyone suggest something not too expensive?

UWone77
25 January 2017, 02:05
It's helpful if you had magnification, use, and price range in mind. Some people have a different thought process when they say cheap than others.

Pyzik
25 January 2017, 04:13
I feel for you man. I've been looking at scopes and wanting to get something for like a year now. In that time I've tried the PA 1-6 (thanks to WEVO! Really hope that program comes back if we can), a Bushnell 1-4, and two Vortex; a 3-9 and a 4-12. All of which were around the $175-$250 mark. All were what I called budget scopes that fit the price range I was looking.
I don't have any of them and I'm grabbing a different scope to try next. This time, throwing more money at the problem. While spending more doesn't ALWAYS help. When it comes to scopes, I think it does.

Throw up the info Uwone is asking about and I'm sure someone here can give you some great options.

FortTom
25 January 2017, 07:11
As stated above, it would really be helpful if you define what kind of scope you're looking for, and what your budget is. Since you already know prices for scopes go from $150ish to enough to take a second mortgage out on your house, for. Pyzik gave you some good places to start looking. If you can step it up another hundred or so, you can get into some fairly decent glass, the Burris MTAC or another of their scopes which are above entry level quality, in my opinion, but are going to run you about $300. Keep in mind that you'll want some decent rings or a QD mount, which are probably going to set you back approx. another $50 to gut punch expensive. Unfortunately, you, like everyone else here are playing an expensive game, however, some careful shopping and you won't have to sell your car to buy a decent set-up.

Again, like UWone77 alluded to, narrow your needs and budget down and I'd bet you'll get pelted with recommendations that will fit you like a glove.

[:D]

alamo5000
25 January 2017, 07:21
I think it's pretty obvious what I'm going to be talking about, based on the title of the topic and everything.

I think it's clear a scope isn't something one can just up and buy on a whim. Some people might do exactly that, come to think of it, but I doubt such an approach is wise unless you've got a lot of money, and even then, it's merely acceptable, not preferable.
I've tried googling for the best compact rifle scope. Suffice to say, I didn't get what I was looking for. Most of the reviews I found weren't most helpful. The first one (http://perfectriflescope.com/best-compact-rifle-scopes-review/), for one, places an expensive Leupold scope on the first place. It may be good and all, but two thousand dollars is a little bit too much. And it's not just the reviews. Amazon didn't really help either. So I've figured just asking here would be a better choice.

I am with UW on this one.

I think before you do anything you need to define what is the purpose of your gun. Do you want a variable magnification? If so do you want that on the short end or long? (1-4x vs say a 5-25x). If we don't know the purpose it's impossible to make a selection.

Aside from that I would concentrate on value for the money vs just plain old low price. You might have to save up an extra month or two but it will be worth it. "$200 more than you thought you wanted to spend" could mean the difference between buying what you ultimately like or going through 3 or 4 junk scopes.

Former11B
25 January 2017, 11:54
When I think of a COMPACT scope, I think of a Vortex Spitfire 3x or a Burris AR-332, both in the $300 ballpark.

Joelski
25 January 2017, 13:45
If you're entry level, you might as well go cheap and plan on rewarding yourself later with a better, more expensive scope once you've learned to take advantage of the capabilities variable power optics offer. This allows you to get your hands-on without a large inital commitment of cash to something you have no idea you'll even stick with. You might decide you like red dots more, plus the range with more distance is a long drive, putting it out of your regular shooting weekend picture. This is the way I approached it. Also, read-up and educate yourself. Somebody else's expertise will only take you so far; we aren't all budding Chris Kyles. Check out good, reputable shops like Primary Arms and SWFA that sell a combination of low price and stupid expensive stuff. The higher end retailers usually steer clear of crap you see on Amazon, so you avoid buying complete, utter crap off the bat. Good luck, read a lot and stay off Amazon for this stuff unless you found it at one of the places mentioned in this thread at a fluke price.

Former11B
26 January 2017, 05:54
User MCA has a Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS scope for sale. Hasn't listed it yet but he's selling it.

FortTom
26 January 2017, 12:33
If you're entry level, you might as well go cheap and plan on rewarding yourself later with a better, more expensive scope once you've learned to take advantage of the capabilities variable power optics offer. This allows you to get your hands-on without a large inital commitment of cash to something you have no idea you'll even stick with. You might decide you like red dots more, plus the range with more distance is a long drive, putting it out of your regular shooting weekend picture. This is the way I approached it. Also, read-up and educate yourself. Somebody else's expertise will only take you so far; we aren't all budding Chris Kyles. Check out good, reputable shops like Primary Arms and SWFA that sell a combination of low price and stupid expensive stuff. The higher end retailers usually steer clear of crap you see on Amazon, so you avoid buying complete, utter crap off the bat. Good luck, read a lot and stay off Amazon for this stuff unless you found it at one of the places mentioned in this thread at a fluke price.
I agree on one point, determine whether you want a scope or dot, but disagree with buying the crappiest scope you can find - then determine whether or not you want a scope.

A piece of crap scope, will give you eyestrain and all sorts of misery, including weather issues and a multitude of other problems. You will probably decide you don't like scopes much, if the first you buy starts giving you grief right away. We all have different budgets, but my advice would be to buy the best that you can afford, even if that means putting it off until you can save a few more bucks or get a tax refund or whatever. Also there are a multitude of reticles and even on really good glass, some of them annoy the heck out of me, and also give me eye strain. That will differ greatly from one shooter's eyes to another, point being, go to the gun store and look at as many as you possibly can, your friends at the range, etc. and see what suites you, before just going in blind (no pun intended) and just buying whatever your wallet can spare at the moment.

FT[:D]

Joelski
26 January 2017, 15:54
Show me where I said "Buy the crappiest scope possible."

Quite frankly, he said he has a budget, which people ignore regardless of forum, or topic. I simply encouraged the guy to spend within his means rather than the too common "for just x hundred dollars more..."

Why spend that to discover you'd rather shoot at close range targets? There's nothing wrong with starting with something less expensive to see if you even want to shoot scoped rifles.

Joelski
26 January 2017, 16:03
This is what leads to people having not a fling clue why an expensive trigger is better, other than it must be, because it cost so much.

FortTom
26 January 2017, 16:47
Show me where I said "Buy the crappiest scope possible."

Quite frankly, he said he has a budget, which people ignore regardless of forum, or topic. I simply encouraged the guy to spend within his means rather than the too common "for just x hundred dollars more..."

Why spend that to discover you'd rather shoot at close range targets? There's nothing wrong with starting with something less expensive to see if you even want to shoot scoped rifles.
Sorry you got butt hurt. No ill will was intended. I was just stating that the cheapest scope would probably be the crappiest. The crappiest is probably not going to make him happy anyway you look at it. I know he said he had a budget. A really low cost scope might not be the best way to save money. I didn't tell him to run our and spend a couple of thousand either, but suggested he might wait until he can spend a little more. He's probably a big boy and can make that decision on his own. He asked for opinions. Sometimes they're not what you might want to hear.

FT[:D]

Joelski
26 January 2017, 17:32
Not butthurt at all. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, just don't mis-quote or misconstrue those of others. It's a courtesy. Again, I didn't say cheapest, which I agree implies junk. The word I used was inexpensive. Vortex is inexpensive in this context, do you think vipers are crappy? Maybe if all you own is S&B, but the consensus seems to be they're decent for the money.

UWone77
26 January 2017, 17:44
I think this is why it's better when people post "inexpensive" that they qualify that with an actual price range. Like it was pointed out, if all you're used to is shooting S&B, then Vortex would be cheap... but that's all relative.

alamo5000
26 January 2017, 17:50
Like I said before... before price or brand is even discussed figuring out what kind of optic the OP wants is more important.

Is he going to be shooting primarily close range (inside 100 yards)? Longer ranges? From a bipod or bench? Or is he shooting a blaster from the shoulder all the time?

My own experience in not knowing which direction to go could actually help somebody for once! LOL

When the OP gets back online he should know we're full of ideas but he needs to shed more light on the type of shooting he's going to be doing, or rather enjoys doing more than other things.

KW900A
30 January 2017, 06:28
Primary arms has a good selection (of their own brand) in the sub $300 range. That's what I consider wallet friendly, and they have respectable quality...

Stone
30 January 2017, 08:31

Mission drives equipment, you need to post some parameters.

1. Distances you will be shooting at.

2. budget, don't forget you need a mount as well. Be specific.
"Not to expensive" Means different things to different people.

3. What kind of shooting are you doing, bench, runnin and gunnin?