PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 prelim report

adrenaline151
20 March 2009, 16:43
Got to shoot it a little tonight. Sights were about 3 inches low at 25 yards(as far as I could shoot tonight), and center. My brothers was a little to the right, also about 3 inches low. Shot about 100 rounds of Wolf 55g FMJ, groups were pretty good, could get 5 shots to touch pretty easy, and 30 shots at 15 yards or so in as-fast-I-can-pull-the-trigger speed all landed in a 3-4" group. Sorry, results not to scientific, we were shooting at paper plates and a few man-head targets I printed off.
So I really wasn't surprised, no malfunctions, no hiccups. The PWS FSC556s were nice, very little to no muzzle rise, just a straight back recoil. It was getting late enough so a small fireball could be seen inside the baffle sort of area of the comp, but nothing noticable out front.
When I brought the gun home I dissassembled it, and did notice a little wear on the squared off section of the carrier key at the front, and it was also visible inside the upper, not sure if that's typical, I didn't seem to notice it on my Noveske. Also seemed to be a little wear on the gasbuster CH, the edges and sides got shined up a bit, but I don't go easy on it, usually ripping it back with my left hand on the latch. I'm sure everything just needs some more run time to get broken in good.
Taking the BCG apart, everything was fine. My DDM4 has a black ejector insert, no O or D ring. I saw another fella on a board somewhere had pics of his with a blue insert and black O ring(I believe it was VR-15... if you read this, what was your serial #... just out of curiousity...)
I really like the rifle, and the only comparison I have is to my Noveske, which some might not think is really fair, but... The trigger is better on the DDM4, the fit and finish is at least as good, and I like the way the words seem to be engraved or machined out better than the Noveskes being pressed in or whatever you want to call it(sorry my brains not coming up with the right words).
So, for the first 100 rounds, shooting crap ammo(which hasn't had a malf in 500 rounds through the Recce or the DDM4), I am very pleased. DDM4=gravy.

adrenaline151
20 March 2009, 17:28
Also, with the BCG locked back, a decent whack on the butt of the stock sends it into battery. Is this normal?

Eric
20 March 2009, 18:25
Also, with the BCG locked back, a decent whack on the butt of the stock sends it into battery. Is this normal? 100% normal. The impact causes the bolt carrier assembly to move just enough to disengage the bolt catch, allowing the assembly to slam forward under pressure from the buffer spring.

Eric
20 March 2009, 18:28
When I brought the gun home I dissassembled it, and did notice a little wear on the squared off section of the carrier key at the front, and it was also visible inside the upper, not sure if that's typical, I didn't seem to notice it on my Noveske. Also seemed to be a little wear on the gasbuster CH, the edges and sides got shined up a bit, but I don't go easy on it, usually ripping it back with my left hand on the latch. I'm sure everything just needs some more run time to get broken in good. The wear you describe is normal. Some wear quicker than others, but not to worry.

Thanks for the report. Keep us updated.

Stickman
21 March 2009, 11:52
Sounds like its time to adjust that front sight a little to correct your elevation. Everything else sounds good, keep us posted. [:)]

adrenaline151
21 March 2009, 12:53
I'm waiting for a chance to shoot at 100 yards. Thinking about a 3" high at 100 zero, what do you guys normally do? I doubt I'd ever shoot to 300, especially with irons, but I like that it's zero at 25, then again around 200 without having to hold off target at 300. I haven't made up my mind. I planned on going for dead on at 100 but then I read the article by Paul Howe and it got me thinkin'... :D

Eric
21 March 2009, 15:14
For the most part I've standardized my rifles for a 50 yard zero. From 0 to just over 200 yards the point of impact is within about 2.5" of the point of aim. For what I need to do, this works well.

VR-15
22 March 2009, 12:30
Glad you got it out and had some fun. Yeh I have the blue and black O-ring my serial # is under 160. Wierd they would change parts like that. What would be the purpose of changing them out?

701ddm4
23 March 2009, 15:17
Just to add to adrenaline151s report(im his bro).I adjusted my sights and put anotherhundred rounds throught my dd in the last couple days shooting wolf ammo.No malfunctions whatsoever...all shots landed in a 4 to 5 inch group at about 40 yards shooting about as fast as i could pull the trigger...just thought id add to the report a little...