PDA

View Full Version : Repeal the NFA Petition

Pyzik
27 January 2017, 09:25
Repeal the NFA Petition....

Remember it was one of these types of petitions that helped stop the green tip M855 ban.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa
We the People wish to see the National Firearms Act of 1934 repealed in order to remove regulations on our 2nd amendment rights, increase national economic strength, and provide protection against threats to our national security.

Stone
27 January 2017, 09:50
While you are there sign this one too, "Investigate Hillary Clinton for crimes committed against the People and Government of the United States."

fledge
27 January 2017, 09:57
Signed. This is finally getting some attention. We'll see if it gets traction.

I think initially most thought it was a useless petition. But if we can get numbers, then it may be part of a bigger puzzle to repeal or reform this thing.

Pyzik
27 January 2017, 09:58
While you are there sign this one too, "Investigate Hillary Clinton for crimes committed against the People and Government of the United States."

Might as well sign the Hughes repeal too. :)

Stone
27 January 2017, 10:05
Now your cooking. I am not 100% sure but I believe it was Obama who raised the number of signatures required from 50k to 100k so it would be more difficult to get something looked at. Maybe someone can start a petition to lower the sigs required from 100k back to 50k or 25k would be even better.

Txfilmmaker
27 January 2017, 10:20
Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vivi00
27 January 2017, 10:59
Signed both Repeal NFA and Hughes.

Aragorn
27 January 2017, 11:29
Already been there lol.

KW900A
27 January 2017, 12:49
Took care of it a few days ago, and forwarded the link to few friends as well.

Joelski
27 January 2017, 21:14
Done.

Deadwing
27 January 2017, 22:22
Done and done.

DeviantLogic
28 January 2017, 07:20
Signed

Stone
5 February 2017, 13:30
"Remove Regulations and Unconstitutional Tax on Short Barreled Rifles (SBR) of National Firearms Act of 1934"

Another one to sign. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-regulations-and-unconstitutional-tax-short-barreled-rifles-sbr-national-firearms-act-1934

Stickman
5 February 2017, 13:38
Amazing these petitions are no where near their goals, but Donald Trumps tax returns have hit their signature goal.

UWone77
5 February 2017, 13:40
"Remove Regulations and Unconstitutional Tax on Short Barreled Rifles (SBR) of National Firearms Act of 1934"

Another one to sign. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-regulations-and-unconstitutional-tax-short-barreled-rifles-sbr-national-firearms-act-1934

Repeal the NFA petition would cover this, seems redundant.

But like Stick says, we're 86k signatures short, while Trumps income tax petition met its goal. Kind of reaffirms what I suspected all along. 90%+ of gun owners have no idea what the NFA is or does. We are a subset of a subset of gun owners.

KW900A
5 February 2017, 14:44
^^^^ I think you hit the nail on the head. Everybody I know owns guns, quite a few of them are content with a 12 gauge, a 30-06 and a hi-point .45

Joelski
5 February 2017, 15:43
Not holding my breath on the NFA dealio. Trying to be optimistic about the HPA, but like this thread, I don't think its the slam dunk we all initially thought it would be. Maybe we should browbeat the man on twitter and make him succumb to our overwhelming WEVO pressure?

fledge
5 February 2017, 15:45
Yep. People are uneducated on firearm laws. We need to educated and then petition.

But there are hundreds of small regulatory things that can be done to ease the burdens on citizens that lack traction while we shoot for the big reforms. What is Trump's 2nd Amendment Coalition doing?

Releasing tax returns are not required of presidents. That petition is a waste of time.

alamo5000
5 February 2017, 16:31
My opinion is that this Congress has a ton to do. They say they want to get tax reform, repeal Obamacare, and a whole stack of other stuff. Getting the economy going, dealing with terrorism, taxes...all really big stuff. Relative to all that the HPA or NFA laws are small potatoes.

If it comes up odds are it will be part of the budget when they get to that. Odds are the ATF itself will complain about double or triple the work load simply because of Obama's action and no increase in budget to get it done

UWone77
5 February 2017, 16:34
My personal opinion, HPA, NFA, ATF is going nowhere.

I'd settle for DJT to roll back 41F

alamo5000
5 February 2017, 16:42
My personal opinion, HPA, NFA, ATF is going nowhere.

I'd settle for DJT to roll back 41F

That could happen too. If the HPA comes up it might be two years from now or even in a second term.

Knowing what I know about how DC works the budget scenario I mentioned above could be the grounds to start a real debate up there.

Joelski
6 February 2017, 04:19
The HPA is ready for the floor. What we need is for Schumer and his fractious band to stop being obstructionists; doing everything they can to divert, delay and derail, as opposed to working together per their job description. Phone calls, people. You want action, pick up the phone.

Sadly nothing is going to divert their focus from fighting to harbor potential terrorists.

Stone
6 February 2017, 06:38
Repeal the NFA petition would cover this, seems redundant.

But like Stick says, we're 86k signatures short, while Trumps income tax petition met its goal. Kind of reaffirms what I suspected all along. 90%+ of gun owners have no idea what the NFA is or does. We are a subset of a subset of gun owners.

True, but I think we should shoot high then the compromise down wont be so bad. If we just go after what we want the dems will whittle it down and we will end up with less than what we wanted.

UWone77
6 February 2017, 12:29
Interesting article from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-atf-official-proposes-loosening-gun-regulations/2017/02/06/beeb1120-ec7c-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.0ec0e811fec6

Joelski
6 February 2017, 13:39
Same oid, tired opposition argument. Fem-Nazi, make the white guy pay "progressives" wanting to punish the law abiding portion of population of gun owners (the ones who paid for their firearms) without taking a second to give a critical thought to the proposal. Those people are brain-fatigued from having all those abortions and having Testosterone filtered from their bloodstream. Unfortunately they will have the loudest voice (Which is now done by talking over people), while 10% of our niche group will get off their ass to send an email, let alone make a phone call to their representation.

Stone
6 February 2017, 13:40
Nice! Looks like we have a friend on the inside...

fledge
6 February 2017, 13:52
Joelski, I thought the same about her rhetoric. Any change to a stupid regulation is apocalyptic to them. The logic about machine gun crime use is fallacious if you think about it for 10 seconds.

Stone, I was surprised to see this from the inside. I'd like them to add to a white paper that pinning muzzle devices are not necessary as long as length of barrels used is 16". Same logic as stock and no stock options.

Joelski
6 February 2017, 14:14
Joelski, I thought the same about her rhetoric. Any change to a stupid regulation is apocalyptic to them. The logic about machine gun crime use is fallacious if you think about it for 10 seconds.

Stone, I was surprised to see this from the inside. I'd like them to add to a white paper that pinning muzzle devices are not necessary as long as length of barrels used is 16". Same logic as stock and no stock options.

After reading the white paper, I've stepped off the ledge... okay, one foot's is back inside the window. ;) That's the most sound, well-reasoned argument for relaxed control and regulation I may have ever read.

Fat chance on the pinning dealie. Too easy to have a 10.3" barrel and direct thread can make your 16" limit. That's creative possession or something the ATF calls a no-no.

I would love for Trump to appoint LaPierre as Scy of the ATF. For his first speech, he should go to KissMassachussets and tell them this:

Neener, Neener, Neener! [:D]

I'm not kidding myself. The Satan Spawn Feinstein and Cryin' Chuck would burst into flames fillibustering him!

alamo5000
6 February 2017, 14:42
Interesting article from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-atf-official-proposes-loosening-gun-regulations/2017/02/06/beeb1120-ec7c-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.0ec0e811fec6

The guy that wrote that white paper "the second in command" at the ATF is somewhat of a local guy to me. At least somewhat. He lived in my little gun loving, gun toting, gun owning community for quite a long time. He got his degrees at a local university and if I am not mistaken he sometimes comes back to lecture students and other things (don't quote me on that). I don't know him personally but odds are 90% or more that at least he himself is definitely on the level when it comes to firearms laws.

fledge
6 February 2017, 14:48
Joelski, it's only constructive possession in the same sense of a stock on a rifle removed for a pistol and short barrel. Functionally a 10.5 with a 7.5" pinned or unpinned is the same. We have an opportunity to clean up the irrational bias in ATF rulings. That's as good as the HPA and without congress.

alamo5000
6 February 2017, 14:53
Quoting from the article "“This white paper offers a disturbing series of giveaways to the gun industry that would weaken regulatory oversight of the gun industry without adequate consideration of the impact on public safety,”"

Let us discuss her concerns point by point.

Repeal of the NFA or passing the HPA would not hamper regulatory oversight of the gun industry. In fact it would do the opposite. What it would do is free the ATF from a series of frivolous requirements (here fill out these forms manually in triplicate 4 million times a year) and allow them to devote more time, resources, effort, and money into actual regulatory functions. When the agency is not saddled with millions of useless tasks that do not correlate into public safety they can focus their efforts on the areas that DO correlate into public safety.

fledge
6 February 2017, 15:31
"Giveaways" is the rhetorical term. Trivializes the issue as if this is swag and not human rights.

Imagine using "giveaways" to let blacks drink at all public water fountains.

alamo5000
6 February 2017, 16:22
It wouldn't matter what was said. It was like those people camped out in front of the Supreme Court the other day. They had big signs that said "Oppose!" and under it had a big blank spot and under that it said "For the Supreme Court".

When they finally announced who it was going to be they pulled out their sharpies and put the guy's last name in there. It was literally the most ridiculous thing I've seen in ages.

Pyzik
7 February 2017, 04:51
It wouldn't matter what was said. It was like those people camped out in front of the Supreme Court the other day. They had big signs that said "Oppose!" and under it had a big blank spot and under that it said "For the Supreme Court".

When they finally announced who it was going to be they pulled out their sharpies and put the guy's last name in there. It was literally the most ridiculous thing I've seen in ages.

Simply amazing.

Joelski
7 February 2017, 04:54
Shameful.

fledge
8 February 2017, 20:48
Up to 58k signatures.

fledge
11 February 2017, 06:15
Goal reached.

Joelski
11 February 2017, 07:10
Goal reached.

Perhaps there is some glimmer of hope!

Joelski
11 February 2017, 07:15
Goal reached.

Perhaps there is some glimmer of hope!

fledge
11 February 2017, 07:15
I think every opportunity we have to educate and unite is all pushing the ball down the field.

We need some SCOTUS decisions that stop state bans too.

KW900A
11 February 2017, 08:05
That's good stuff

UWone77
11 February 2017, 14:45
I think every opportunity we have to educate and unite is all pushing the ball down the field.

This.

I'm tired of states chipping away at our rights. I would honestly put the NFA on the backburner for this, because what good are NFA items if they limit transfers, possessions, and sales of 16" basic rifles.

I see this as a 4-8 year battle as more Supreme Court Justices retire/get replaced.

Joelski
11 February 2017, 19:50
States should be allowed to make sensible changes to laws d/t local conditions, but should never have gained the ability to doctor constitutional and other federal laws to begin with. People legislating based on what they think is best for the people has its place and it's not in the state's realm.

fledge
11 February 2017, 20:52
States should be allowed to make sensible changes to laws d/t local conditions, but should never have gained the ability to doctor constitutional and other federal laws to begin with. People legislating based on what they think is best for the people has its place and it's not in the state's realm.

The Fed should have shut that down long ago. As we know, refusing to execute the law emboldens more lawlessness.

Deadwing
13 February 2017, 04:20

Amen, brother. We badly need some SCOTUS decisions that call out the state level bans for the unconstitutional piles of crap that they are and put a stop to them once and for all. I think having those decisions under our belt would make repealing things at the national level far more feasible.

Stone
13 February 2017, 07:07
"Formally recognize black lives matter as a terrorist organization"

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/formally-recognize-black-lives-matter-terrorist-organization

California gun laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/california-gun-laws-are-unconstitutional

gatordev
13 February 2017, 13:01
California gun laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/california-gun-laws-are-unconstitutional

Why would the White House care about this? That's not how our government works. The last thing the country needs is a President ruling by edict, even if you or I agree with the overall goal or result.

SINNER
13 February 2017, 13:34
Why would the White House care about this? That's not how our government works. The last thing the country needs is a President ruling by edict, even if you or I agree with the overall goal or result.

One of the only things the Federal government should be doing is stopping states from trampling on the Constitution. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that enforcing Constitutional rights would be an edict.

gatordev
13 February 2017, 16:55
One of the only things the Federal government should be doing is stopping states from trampling on the Constitution. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that enforcing Constitutional rights would be an edict.

Because the Executive doesn't enforce Constitutional rights. Enforcing the Constitution is the role of the Judiciary. We may all agree that a law isn't/doesn't <fill in the blank>, but the Judiciary is the tool that makes that a reality. Otherwise it's nothing more than a temporary decree (ie, edict) until the next guy comes along.

fledge
13 February 2017, 21:23
The executive branch executes the laws. If California is breaking the laws, the executive branch is supposed to do something about it. The judiciary is to interpret the law.

Regardless, a petition like that creates public awareness. And that's the primary reason to sign it. If it makes a stir, more people will be alerted to the issue who otherwise would still be watching reruns of American Idol.

Joelski
14 February 2017, 03:51
Regardless, a petition like that creates public awareness. And that's the primary reason to sign it. If it makes a stir, more people will be alerted to the issue who otherwise would still be watching reruns of American Idol.

This, plus the added effect of Turk's proposals might give it the credibility thousands of e voices lacks.

gatordev
14 February 2017, 03:59
The executive branch executes the laws. If California is breaking the laws, the executive branch is supposed to do something about it. The judiciary is to interpret the law.

Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my part, as you're right, the Judiciary doesn't have the mechanism to actually enforce the laws they interpret.

I'm just leery of everything being "solved" by EA or EO (regardless of political flavor). As you guys are pointing out, there are other means.

Stone
14 February 2017, 04:53
Agreed, the exposure isn't going to hurt. If Cali is ever going to make a big push to remove some of those unconstitutional gun laws now is the time with a pro-gun POTUS, Senate and house.

fledge
14 February 2017, 06:01
I'm just leery of everything being "solved" by EA or EO (regardless of political flavor). As you guys are pointing out, there are other means.

I'm with you. I don't want EOs to solve this. I don't even want Congress to pass laws to override illegal laws in states (ie CCW reciprocity). I want the law itself to be respected and upheld through the land through SCOTUS and executive action. We are now in a political climate that laws are no longer blind and for all. Unless the Sleeping Giant wakes, he'll be soup by dawn.