PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Pistol/SBR

rxer311
27 January 2017, 13:38
I have had a Black Rain Ordnance lower sitting around for a few months since I bought a few lowers just in case before the election. I started collecting parts to build a 10.3" 5.56 upper using my BRO lower as my pistol lower.

Well I got to thinking that I will probably finally jump into the SBR game. I will build the pistol first and then submit my form 1 for an SBR.

I have one single issue. The BRO lower is nicely machined, fits an upper great, and has great anodizing. I also really like the roll mark. The only thing that it is lacking is a beveled mag well. I tend to overthink everything I do so it is kind of bothering me. Do I really want my only SBR lower to have a non beveled mag well. Should this even be something I should consider? Everything else with it is top notch.

Just build the damned lower or try and flip it for a different lower like a Spikes ore Aero with a beveled mag well?

My other extra lower also does not have a beveled mag well and I really don't care for the roll mark either.

fledge
27 January 2017, 13:59
Do you mean it doesn't have a flared magwell?

I personally believe if you only have one SBR lower to make it a quality forged lower.

rxer311
27 January 2017, 14:04
It is a quality forges lower. It just lacks the flared mag well. Everything else is top notch.

Aragorn
27 January 2017, 14:12
They don't seem to really make much difference in reloading to me...

I've never missed a reload because a particular lower DIDN'T have a flared lower...

And I've also fumbled a few reloads where having a beveled mag well WOULDN'T have suddenly made the reload successful.

But, if you love the lower and want it beveled, get ahold of Axlnut. I'm willing to bet he could do that for you.

fledge
27 January 2017, 15:12
It is a quality forges lower. It just lacks the flared mag well. Everything else is top notch.

Roger that. I thought it was the billet version.

Practicing mag changes will benefit you 1000x more than any *features.*

Axlnut
27 January 2017, 15:55
But, if you love the lower and want it beveled, get ahold of Axlnut. I'm willing to bet he could do that for you.

Was reading through and about to suggest the same - if it truly bugs you, post up a picture or shoot me a PM, I can't find the lower in a Google image search, but can most likely help you add a nice bevel job.

If you're going to SBR it, like Fledge said, make sure it's what you want. Don't let something bother you about a build to which you are adding a $200 premium.

rxer311
27 January 2017, 16:21
I think I am going to try and flip it and buy a nice Mega or similar quality lower with a beveled mag well.

fledge
27 January 2017, 17:54
I know I said forged lower first, but consider a CMT lowers as well (you'll eventually need to SBR lowers anyway :)). CMT excellent, not flashy, work with a variety of uppers, and CMT uppers that match come in a wide variety.

Deadwing
28 January 2017, 02:51
I think I am going to try and flip it and buy a nice Mega or similar quality lower with a beveled mag well.

The only one of my AR SBRs that has a beveled mag well is my Gen 3 Noveske. The rest are all basic forged, bevel-less lowers. I never even thought about it until seeing this thread, i had to go check them all. It's a non-issues for me. But like others have said, if it's going to be your one and only SBR, make sure it's what you want.

UWone77
28 January 2017, 03:20
I like Forged Lowers for SBR's only because there are many more uppers that match up well with them. Billet Lowers sometimes have limited matching and a harder time with take down pins lining up.

Mega is a good choice.

tact
28 January 2017, 08:07
The BAD lowers are on sale somewhere for 160 or so. I was just picky on mating up the right upper, but very nice finished product.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/35d1ba395a92d2acc82efc59479f34b6.jpg

Axlnut
28 January 2017, 08:11
The only one of my AR SBRs that has a beveled mag well is my Gen 3 Noveske. The rest are all basic forged, bevel-less lowers. I never even thought about it until seeing this thread,

We'e mixing up flared, lIke a Noveske, and beveled, which a standard op in forged lowers.

Flare: external
Bevel: internal

I've personally never seen a forged lower without at least some bevel to the inside of the magwell.

din
28 January 2017, 16:28
Some lowers have a greater degree of interior bevel than others. The BAD-15 lower has a wire EDM cut magwell that's a bit more generous, and Precision Firearms also has a better bevel. Like tact said, DSG sent out an e-mail advertising the BAD lowers for $160 and I'd pick up another in a second if I could get another one that didn't have that damn rollmark. I miss BAD's old bomb logo.

Axlnut
28 January 2017, 17:09
Some lowers have a greater degree of interior bevel than others. The BAD-15 lower has a wire EDM cut magwell that's a bit more generous, and Precision Firearms also has a better bevel. Like tact said, DSG sent out an e-mail advertising the BAD lowers for $160 and I'd pick up another in a second if I could get another one that didn't have that damn rollmark. I miss BAD's old bomb logo.

The wire EDM magwell and the bevel are very likely unrelated. Bevel still cut by machine like any other. The wire EDM is incapable of that operation without some serious setup engineering and it would not be advantageous in any way.

The wire edm creates a more uniform and precise magwell along the 2D surfaces than the typical broach cut method, which makes it nicer once the mag is passed the beveled area.

din
28 January 2017, 17:41
The wire EDM magwell and the bevel are very likely unrelated. Bevel still cut by machine like any other. The wire EDM is incapable of that operation without some serious setup engineering and it would not be advantageous in any way.

The wire edm creates a more uniform and precise magwell along the 2D surfaces than the typical broach cut method, which makes it nicer once the mag is passed the beveled area.

The more you know...thanks!

Stone
28 January 2017, 19:30
The BAD lowers are on sale somewhere for 160 or so. I was just picky on mating up the right upper, but very nice finished product.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/35d1ba395a92d2acc82efc59479f34b6.jpg

DSG- You have to log in to see the discount. $160 is a great deal on those!

fledge
28 January 2017, 20:17
Tact, whose upper receiver is that?

rxer311
29 January 2017, 10:25
So I actually just picked up this matched set for my pistol build...

F1 Firearms forged matched set. Apex member pricing is just over $200 so its a good deal for a matched set with some extra machine work.

https://www.rainierarms.com/f-1-firearms-fdr-15-forged-matched-receiver-set-ar15

GOST
29 January 2017, 11:18

It's the older 2A Armament upper. Not sure if it still looks the same. Here are the pics they sent me awhile back when I asked how the lines lined up with a forged lower. This may be some of the old design left.

http://www.tacticallink.com/2A-Armament-Balios-Billet-AR15-Upper-Receiver-2A-BU556-1.html

fledge
29 January 2017, 13:16
Thanks, GOST. I like how it flares at the rail. Similar to SMOS version.

fledge
29 January 2017, 14:21
So I actually just picked up this matched set for my pistol build...

F1 Firearms forged matched set. Apex member pricing is just over $200 so its a good deal for a matched set with some extra machine work.

https://www.rainierarms.com/f-1-firearms-fdr-15-forged-matched-receiver-set-ar15

My opinion: I have this F1 forged set in a box and very disappointed in the quality. Frankly, I would never pay to get a stamp for it. Hate to be a downer.

If you want a good quality forged lower to SBR for a good price, I recommend grabbing a mega (or ghost precision which is the same), Sionics, BCM, or Sons of Liberty. You can get a sionics at Tombstone for like $80 and have the same rollmark as dozens of police depts around the country. Or wait a little longer and save for a Noveske forged lower cause the iron cross is timeless.

rxer311
29 January 2017, 14:40
My opinion: I have this F1 forged set in a box and very disappointed in the quality. Frankly, I would never pay to get a stamp for it. Hate to be a downer.

If you want a good quality forged lower to SBR for a good price, I recommend grabbing a mega (or ghost precision which is the same), Sionics, BCM, or Sons of Liberty. You can get a sionics at Tombstone for like $80 and have the same rollmark as dozens of police depts around the country. Or wait a little longer and save for a Noveske forged lower cause the iron cross is timeless.

I will inspect it before I transfer the set. Maybe you got a bad set?

It looks to have what I am looking for so we shall see.

What exactly disappointed you about it? Anodizing? Machining?

fledge
29 January 2017, 14:43
Loose fit. Would never call it matching. Rough anodizing. Just overall rough Execution. Then the little flag lasered on the pin post of the upper (hidden from view) is distorted and just tacky, which tells me that they may have rushed this to market.

rxer311
29 January 2017, 15:05
Loose fit. Would never call it matching. Rough anodizing. Just overall rough Execution. Then the little flag lasered on the pin post of the upper (hidden from view) is distorted and just tacky, which tells me that they may have rushed this to market.

Gotcha. I just sent an email to Rainier Arms to see if I could just change my order to a Mega Lower and Upper. I didn't place the order until last night so they really haven't even received the order yet. I am sure the will switch out my order. Thanks for the heads up and looking out for me.

It really looked like an awesome set...but looks can be deceiving.

UWone77
29 January 2017, 15:30
I think the Mega Gator is hands down the best Forged Lower on the market. I probably have 10 of them and they are always in proper spec, best dyes, best anodizing, worthy of a lifetime purchase as a Form 1 Lower.

I also have several Rainier Arms Forged Lowers that are Form 2/4'ed as SBR's. Obviously also made by Mega Arms.

rxer311
29 January 2017, 15:33
Thanks again for your input.

I don't think RA will have any problems switching out my order before it ships. I already shot them out an email.

fledge
29 January 2017, 17:20
Thanks again for your input.

I don't think RA will have any problems switching out my order before it ships. I already shot them out an email.

They've stopped shipments for me in the past. But their email response can be slow. I'd follow up in the morning to guarantee it.

I thought the same when I ordered the F1 set. Very promising in description and in pics. I'll probably sell mine one of these days.

GOST
29 January 2017, 17:47
I would just call them.

877-556-GUNS (4867)

rxer311
29 January 2017, 18:58
I would just call them.

877-556-GUNS (4867)

I will try but I am on the East Coast and I work in an ISO class 5 clean room...so no phone for me. Even by the time lunch rolls around for me, they aren't open yet. I will try though.

tact
29 January 2017, 18:59

GOST is correct. 2A Armament and it's a perfect match/fit all around. For whatever reason they are doing all those silly cuts that seems to be the thing now and that upper doesn't exist anymore. A real shame because it is probably one of the nicest uppers I've ever handled.

GOST
29 January 2017, 19:20
I think that Rainier's website used to let you modify orders if they haven't shipped. You may want to log in and try, or I could be completely wrong.

fledge
29 January 2017, 20:13
GOST is correct. 2A Armament and it's a perfect match/fit all around. For whatever reason they are doing all those silly cuts that seems to be the thing now and that upper doesn't exist anymore. A real shame because it is probably one of the nicest uppers I've ever handled.

Thanks, tact. It looks good. I can't even find your version for sale. The regular Balios is available in many places. It's smooth and lacks the cuts. But none show the flare at the rail.

rxer311
30 January 2017, 02:38
I think that Rainier's website used to let you modify orders if they haven't shipped. You may want to log in and try, or I could be completely wrong.

I tried...not available anymore. I'll call them today.

rxer311
30 January 2017, 09:32
Called Rainier arms this morning and got it changed out to a mega set. Thanks again for the heads up.

Any info on a mega 9" wedgelock rail?

GOST
30 January 2017, 11:39
Nice rail, just make sure your gas block will fit.

rxer311
30 January 2017, 13:25
Nice rail, just make sure your gas block will fit.

I have a Ballistic Advantage Hanson with pinned gas block. Think that would fit?

fledge
30 January 2017, 13:45
I have a Ballistic Advantage Hanson with pinned gas block. Think that would fit?

Yes.