PDA

View Full Version : Brand new (heavy) buffer spring?

khat
29 January 2017, 21:43
I am a first time AR owner. I have been dry firing practicing. Am I freaking weak or is my brand new buffer spring so new that the resistance is really heavy? It's a Spikes Tactical Crusader. Am I wrong in assuming range time will make it easier? Most videos I see dudes rack the charging handle like it's nothing. Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlnut
29 January 2017, 22:03
I am a first time AR owner. I have been dry firing practicing. Am I freaking weak or is my brand new buffer spring so new that the resistance is really heavy? It's a Spikes Tactical Crusader. Am I wrong in assuming range time will make it easier? Most videos I see dudes rack the charging handle like it's nothing. Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I have a few Spikes buffer springs, they are just a normal carbine weight, mil-spec spring.

Being new to this - do you have some lube on your bolt carrier? A dry rifle will be harder to charge, marginally. The technique you are using could come into play as well.

Does it feel as bad when not dry firing? IE; charge it, don't pull the trigger, charge it again.

khat
29 January 2017, 23:03
I have a few Spikes buffer springs, they are just a normal carbine weight, mil-spec spring.

Being new to this - do you have some lube on your bolt carrier? A dry rifle will be harder to charge, marginally. The technique you are using could come into play as well.

Does it feel as bad when not dry firing? IE; charge it, don't pull the trigger, charge it again.

I have lubed the BCG. I must be weak. Hahaha... It feels as if I need to grab the charging handle from both sides and pull straight back vs. what I see online which is grabbing with the the off-hand on one side of the handle and simply sliding it back. I will keep practicing. (And start working out) Thanks!

Axlnut
29 January 2017, 23:40
I have lubed the BCG. I must be weak. Hahaha... It feels as if I need to grab the charging handle from both sides and pull straight back vs. what I see online which is grabbing with the the off-hand on one side of the handle and simply sliding it back. I will keep practicing. (And start working out) Thanks!

Ahh, ok dude - you're doing it right, the way it was designed to be done. If you have a standard charging handle, the one side rip and run can be gritty, sloppy, and even break your CH.

That change in doctrine lead to the more moderncharging handles like the BCM Gunfighter, AXTS Raptor, Fortis Hammer, etc. With any of those, the one side rip is much easier and smoother - longer lever for leverage, different construction methods for strenght, larger dimensions (or other changes) to more smoothly ride in the receiver.

Often times parts aren't the answer, in this case the parts are born from necessity and do make a marked inprovement.

Joelski
30 January 2017, 03:23
Also, spray the spring with white lithium grease and shoot a couple quick blasts of same into the extension tube. Enough to coat, but not excessive. All reciprocating parts need lube.

BoilerUp
30 January 2017, 07:27
Did you buy it new or used? If the previous owner replace the buffer spring with a "high power" spring, you'd certainly notice it. That said, I've noticed a lot of new shooters or shooters new to the AR frequently "under power" their movements on the AR (or with racking the slide on semi-auto pistols, for that matter). So, technique and familiarity come into play, too. I think it is actually harder to charge the AR slowly rather than applying power from the get go. In other words, don't try to pull the CH back slowly, you should really start off with a burst of power and charge it quickly, if that makes any sense. And as Axlnut said, use the two-finger approach (a finger over each side of the CH) to start out with.

Stone
30 January 2017, 08:05
^Exactly, man handle it. Don't ride the charging handle. One swift pull back and let it go. Its kind of like a slingshot but with no pause when its pulled back all the way. The spring will break in over time and it will be easier to pull. If you haven't already, put some lube on the CH and inside the CH channel in the upper receiver. It will help it to slide better. As far as personal strength goes, see if you can hold the rifle up to your shooting position by the grip with one hand and hold it for 30 seconds with your cheek against the stock and the stock pulled into your shoulder. If you cant do it then some strength training might be needed.

khat
30 January 2017, 16:01
Thanks everyone. This was super helpful. And very informative. Technique and familiarity seem to be keys for me. Also racking with a burst of power.