PDA

View Full Version : Armalite AR-10 BCU vs. DPMS LR-10 BCU

FortTom
3 February 2017, 16:55
I've researched all over the net and I can't get a straight answer for this, just "well maybe if you mix..etc. crap", to threads devolving into fights over quality of one over the other.

What I would like to find out is: can you swap an AR-10 BCG into a DPMS pattern receiver, and vice versa with no modifications, parts swaps, nada? Why or why not would be a bonus.

Thanks much in advance,

FT[:D]

BoilerUp
3 February 2017, 17:11
What's a BCU?

FortTom
3 February 2017, 17:18
What's a BCU?

An exhausted persons version of a BCG, only renamed to accommodate my blurry eyes and piss poor typing skills.

Stone
3 February 2017, 18:33
You need to be more specific. A complete upper, no. A stripped upper yes. The real issue I believe is the bolt and barrel extension need to be brand specific. Either DPMS pattern or Armalite pattern. What are you trying to accomplish? What parts do you have? Without more specifics it only leads to more questions on the answering end.

FortTom
3 February 2017, 19:34
You need to be more specific. A complete upper, no. A stripped upper yes. The real issue I believe is the bolt and barrel extension need to be brand specific. Either DPMS pattern or Armalite pattern. What are you trying to accomplish? What parts do you have? Without more specifics it only leads to more questions on the answering end.
I should have specified a complete upper, I thought that would be obvious, as I wouldn't normally be swapping BCG's back and forth in stripped receivers. Guess that's what I get for thinking.

No, not trying to get into specifics, or worse start the same threads I managed to google and found that started with "what parts are....using". I was trying to paint a picture of two operational .308's an AR-10 and DPMS pattern, and could you swap them (BCG's) back and forth in the two rifles.

Anyway, thanks, Stone, you answered my question. The rest of it's a long, boring story, so I won't post the why I asked part.

Thanks again,

FT[:D]

SINNER
3 February 2017, 19:45
Receivers are proprietary. Barrels and bolt carrier groups are too. Beyond that they have some interchangeablility. You can use a Armalite barrel and bolt with DPMS receivers and vice versa. Some hammers are too wide for the BCG slot with Armalites. Armalite buffers and tubes are different on their factory guns than the much more common DPMS style with a standard tube and a shorty buffer. Rifle length buffer assemblies run much better than either carbine style.

Quick top of head list. Any specifics ask. I've screwed up plenty of large pattern rifles. Lol

FortTom
3 February 2017, 20:17
Receivers are proprietary. Barrels and bolt carrier groups are too. Beyond that they have some interchangeablility. You can use a Armalite barrel and bolt with DPMS receivers and vice versa. Some hammers are too wide for the BCG slot with Armalites. Armalite buffers and tubes are different on their factory guns than the much more common DPMS style with a standard tube and a shorty buffer. Rifle length buffer assemblies run much better than either carbine style.

Quick top of head list. Any specifics ask. I've screwed up plenty of large pattern rifles. Lol

I get that Sinner, but that's not what I wanted or needed to know. Maybe I'm just too tired to make sense, but let me re-phrase my question one more way that might make better sense.

1. I walk into the LGS and find a brand new bone stock Armalite AR-10 for sale and buy it.
2. Next week I got to another LGS and find a brand new DPMS .308LR for sale and buy it.

I take both of my newfound treasures to the range. Without changing any other parts, I pull the pin and lower the upper and pull out the BCG out of the Armalite. I open the DPMS and pull out the BCG. Then I insert the DPMS BCG into the Armalite, and insert the Armalite BCG into the DPMS. No other changes or parts are swapped, disassembled, nothing. I just close them up, push the pins in and attempt to chamber and fire a round in both rifles. Will it work.?

Thanks again to all.

FT

BoilerUp
3 February 2017, 20:48
I don't really know for sure, but the warning box on the JP Rifles webpage is interesting (http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-5 ). Between that and reading some other interwebs information, it sounds like you can swap entire BCGs and probably be OK but you should check headspace of each. It's seems the big no-no is to put an Armalite bolt in a DPMS carrier or vice versa.

SINNER
3 February 2017, 20:55
I get that Sinner, but that's not what I wanted or needed to know. Maybe I'm just too tired to make sense, but let me re-phrase my question one more way that might make better sense.

1. I walk into the LGS and find a brand new bone stock Armalite AR-10 for sale and buy it.
2. Next week I got to another LGS and find a brand new DPMS .308LR for sale and buy it.

I take both of my newfound treasures to the range. Without changing any other parts, I pull the pin and lower the upper and pull out the BCG out of the Armalite. I open the DPMS and pull out the BCG. Then I insert the DPMS BCG into the Armalite, and insert the Armalite BCG into the DPMS. No other changes or parts are swapped, disassembled, nothing. I just close them up, push the pins in and attempt to chamber and fire a round in both rifles. Will it work.?

Thanks again to all.

FT

No. Barrel extensions and bolts are different spec and not cross platform compatible. Armalite bolt with Armalite barrel, DPMS bolt only with DPMS pattern barrel. That's what I was referring to in my second sentence. Sorry for not being clearer.

FortTom
3 February 2017, 21:31
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. I'll try to be a bit more clearer when I ask questions in the future.[:D]