PDA

View Full Version : What sighting system on the AR?

tac40
21 March 2009, 08:57
My setup with Aimpoint, ACOG w/ docter sights and EO-Tech. What is everybody else using?

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4338.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4341.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/kevin.jpg

adrenaline151
21 March 2009, 09:45
Irons. I've thought about getting an Aimpoint or EOTech, but I think I should try each before I decide, and there aren't many other shooters around here that have these setups that I know of, other than an EOtech. Chances of actually getting to shoot that one are slim, so I think I'll wait til I go to a course and try to get some shooting time behind both. Course, I still need to get some time in on my irons, too.

Army Chief
21 March 2009, 10:11
I would favor the Aimpoint route, simply because that it what I am most familiar with; that said, my over-40 eyes are pushing me in the direction of magnified optics -- or at least, those which are compatible with a 3x or 4x configuration. I don't need a close-quarters solution, but then, I don't need a 200m + optic, either.

Our mutual uncle got me this far on irons, and if push comes to shove, I can still get the desired results with without the aid of glass. On the other hand, when one is drafting up his "nice to have" list, there are any number of excellent optics that come to mind -- and I've got a few of them on my list, too.

AC

tac40
21 March 2009, 10:22
Someone once told me "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't winning", that was my Gunnery Sgt kickin me in my A$$ for playing fair, "See First, Shoot First, Ask Later"[:)] You know I'm kidding, right?

scumhunter
21 March 2009, 10:29
Your ACOG & Doctor combo is a very sweet set up. This is on a short list of options that I have considered for my patrol / SWAT rifle. As you know this is a costly, albeit effective aiming solution. Due to financial constraints I wanted a cheaper optic to get me by until the funds were available to go high speed.
I decided to go with the Burris Fast Fire for a couple reasons. First of all, I didn’t want to buy something that would just sit in the junk drawer after I moved on to bigger and better. The Fast Fire has a lot of mounts available so I can move it to my shotgun or other guns for hunting. Waste not, want not is a must living a city paycheck.
I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of this discount optic. It’s been over a year now and I’m still very happy with it for duty use. The strong points are the automatic light intensity that quickly changes with the surrounding light conditions. The battery life is very long and I have yet to change it. It has held its zero throughout everything I have thrown at it. The small 4 moa also makes it very functional for long distance shots including the 100 yard qualification course.
The weak points are few in my opinion but here they are. The built in (but changeable) mount appears to be a little flimsy. I haven’t had any problems but it is a concern. The way it mounts on my AR’s carry handle (flat top, not the true carry handle) it is difficult to co-witness with my iron sights. I can just see the upper tip of my front sight while looking through the rear aperture and Fast Fire. I prefer the bottom 1/3 co-witness through an optic but this is less than that. I could fix this with a different rifle mount but I don’t want to buy a new rifle mount for a temporary set up.
The Fast Fire has done exactly what I wanted it to do, cheap, effective and durable. I would recommend the Fast Fire for anyone looking for an optic on a budget. It could be a permanent solution for anyone strictly looking for a x1 red dot if they had the proper rifle mount to co-witness more effectively. Maybe this temporary set up is a little too-good since finding a different optic has become less of a priority for me.

Army Chief
21 March 2009, 10:30
I've I've learned anything over the years, it is this: fair fights are to be avoided at all costs. :)

AC

rob_s
21 March 2009, 10:47
I have watched a lot of people strugglee with the Dr./ACOG combo in the past. One in particular was a shooter in an EAG class last December that stuck it out for TD1&2, and on TD3 switched to a loaner Aimpoint and, as it turns out, was a really good shooter. he was just fighting his gear instead of the cardboard enemy up to that point.

I've used Eotechs, Aimpoints, ACOGs, and 1.x-4x optics, and i keep coming back to the Aimpoint. It's just what works best for me. I like the concept of the 1-4x but IMHO the weight, size, poor illumination, and cost make them non-starters. I also don't want a 1-4x variable, I want a 1-4x switchable. I don't need all that crap in between.

If you can keep up with the sustainment training and aren't doing a lot of indoor work, I think that the Compact ACOG TA33R-8 is the best solution. However, it sucks in an indoor low-light situation and the use of a 3x at close range and that whole "Bindon Aiming Concept" requires a lot of sustainment training. If I don't pick mine up for a month or two I have to start all over from scratch.

No, for now the Aimpoint C3 is my favorite. I know that the micros are all the rage, but I can get a C3 in ADM mount for $450 and it's more than enough optic for 99% of users, comes in a 2 MOA which I have come to prefer, and is good for hits on 6" steel out to 200 yards. Anything past about 50 and I suspect I'd have a hard time explaining myself anyway.

Now, for target shooting, or gaming, or IPSC-style 3-gun? That opens the door quite wide in terms of selection, and my choices might be a bit different.

adrenaline151
21 March 2009, 11:10
Has anybody tried a Docter or similar optic on a 1 o'clock rail or is that something reserved for competition? The only person I've seen use it is Jerry Miculek. It seems like you could have a better cheek weld using it that way, than on top of an ACOG. But then, I've never tried shooting my rifle in that canted position.

scumhunter
21 March 2009, 12:07
I can’t speak from experience but it seems to me that you would have to practice the 1 o’clock cant on a frequent basis. To become / stay proficient in a transition that requires a cant between scope and optic could add a lot of variables. Mounting a Doctor on top of an ACOG changes your cheek weld but the platform changes very little. Applying a cant to the entire rifle would require your muscle memory to have two “homes”.
This is my impression from thinking it through, not practical application. If any of you cant for your optic, do you have these types of issues or am I way off base here?

airborneski
21 March 2009, 15:02
ACOG TA-31f on my carbine, iron sights on my rifle for now.