PDA

View Full Version : Apex Trigger's for Glocks

FortTom
8 February 2017, 20:35
Anyone have any experience with these? I have Apex FSS triggers in all three of my M&P's, and am very impressed with them, and the company, and I've been considering ordering one of their Glock triggers. However, I can't find anyone who has actually tried one, except a few conflicting reviews on the 'net.

Just trying to get some info as to whether or not to try one. Any commentary you might give will be appreciated.

Thanks,

FT[:D]

UWone77
8 February 2017, 20:40
Every Apex Glock Trigger I've seen fielded has broken eventually. I don't know why, but the M&P Triggers are a lot better.

FortTom
8 February 2017, 21:06
Every Apex Glock Trigger I've seen fielded has broken eventually. I don't know why, but the M&P Triggers are a lot better.

[wow]Wow! I sure didn't expect that. I don't know what "every" means, but if it's more than one, I think I'll take a pass. I'm also looking at the GlockKraft D.A.T. trigger as well. That and some polishing.

I'm surprised. I've shot the hell out of two of my M&P's with APEX FSS triggers with zero issues. One, the 9mm, not so much but feels and functions consistent with the others.

Thanks for the heads up UW.

FT[:D]

UWone77
9 February 2017, 00:29
FT,

I've been playing around with different Glock Triggers, but unlike AR triggers it seems like there isn't as many extensive reviews. So far, I like the ZEV triggers I've shot, but I know some people think the trigger is mushy. Reset is fantastic though. So far I've enjoyed the Glocktriggers.com the best.

I just ordered 2 Overwatch Precision Triggers from Weapon Outfitters on Roy's recommendation, so I'll try those out.

FortTom
9 February 2017, 14:00
FT,

I've been playing around with different Glock Triggers, but unlike AR triggers it seems like there isn't as many extensive reviews. So far, I like the ZEV triggers I've shot, but I know some people think the trigger is mushy. Reset is fantastic though. So far I've enjoyed the Glocktriggers.com the best.

I just ordered 2 Overwatch Precision Triggers from Weapon Outfitters on Roy's recommendation, so I'll try those out.

I think the Overwatch triggers are the same as the same thing as the D.A.T. GlockKraft triggers sold by Robar. Let us know when you get one and what you think. Looks like I'm going to have an extra month or more to decide what I want. The only thing I have never liked was the Glock Trigger, and I've tried multiple solutions, some had better results than others. I was stationed in CA when the 17 came out on the market. It was about two years later that I saw the first one at a range. At the time, I only liked two kinds of pistols, 1911's and 1911's. After gawking at the guy's Glock, he generously offered to let me shoot a mag. I did, and I was shocked. The trigger (to me) sucked a big one, though I kept my opinion to myself, thanking him for the opportunity. The gun didn't fell balanced, it didn't even feel like a pistol, period. In my mind I was thinking "what an aborted piece of crap that was". I thought that'll never fly...It's a fad that will pass. Oh well, I thought cassette tapes would never overtake 8 tracks either. I've owned several since, but have stayed with the 19 and 23. Looking forward to trying the .357 Sig since the round came out, but never got around to it. Really hoping this project goes well and performs good the first try, so hoping to find the right trigger the first time.[:D]

FT

UWone77
10 February 2017, 04:48
I actually don't mind stock Glock Triggers. Maybe I've just been used to shooting them for so long.

So FT, what do you plan to do with this gun? Just target shooting ? Competition?

voodoo_man
10 February 2017, 04:58
This thread is shite without pix.

GriffonSec
10 February 2017, 05:41
Have an Overwatch TAC on the way for my little 42.

I admittedly don't know much about Glocks, but I've been enamored with this one........other than the trigger. Found quite a bit of discussion about safety issues with various trigger brands, Overwatch came out as being one of a handful that have NEVER (yet) failed the safety test. Mine will be here either Saturday or Monday, and I'm excited to try it (adding Ghost 3.5 connector).

I wish I had known WO had Overwatch triggers, I'd have ordered them from him......

FortTom
10 February 2017, 07:30
I actually don't mind stock Glock Triggers. Maybe I've just been used to shooting them for so long.

So FT, what do you plan to do with this gun? Just target shooting ? Competition?
Mostly just target shooting, and if I gain confidence in it, as in it goes bang every time, after say 500 rounds, I may put it in the carry rotation. Mostly I'm carrying an M&P .40 FS, but may start rotating it out for the 9mm. Rarely carry the .45 anymore. My Glocks, a 19 and 23, mostly hang around in the safe, We'll see what happens with the .357Sig, as it's pretty expensive ammo if you don't reload. So it can get expensive for target practice. I guess in reality, it's more of an experiment for me.

FT

FortTom
10 February 2017, 07:44
This thread is shite without pix.
Ha..ha.. don't have anything to take a picture of, yet. Since the Polymer 80 frames have been held up, I can't get it to Battle Cock for stippling. Then there's milling the frame and cerakoting the slide. The only thing I've ordered for it yet is a bare slide from Lone Wolf. Got that the day before yesterday. It looks like I have another 3 or 4 weeks to decide and order the barrel, trigger and rest of the parts, before I have anything to take a picture of..[:D]

FortTom
10 February 2017, 19:25
The biggest failures I've ever seen, at least 2, maybe 3 are titanium safety plungers. Tops deform totally rendering weapon temporarily FUBAR. Had one guy send me his to ensure his was TI. Looked like top was TI nitride. Did the old simple, stick it to a grinding wheel and watch the brilliant shower of extremely white sparks. I just polish the stock unit, or buy a steel one that has been polished from an aftermarket parts dealer.

Stone
24 February 2017, 05:33
FT,

Any feedback on the Overwatch Precision Triggers yet?

UWone77
25 February 2017, 05:21
Any feedback on the Overwatch Precision Triggers yet?

Literally just got them installed the other day.

First impressions... positive reset but heavy trigger pull.

I'll have to hit the range with it to get a better feel for how I like or dislike it. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Stone
25 February 2017, 07:13

I'll have to hit the range with it to get a better feel for how I like or dislike it. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Did you know they have this as well which may compliment their trigger: NP3 Plated Glock 4.5 lb "Minus" Connector
http://overwatchprecision.com/np3-plated-glock-4-5-lb-minus-connector/

Which one did you get? TAC? or the DAT? Or both?

"Note that trigger pull weight does not change from factory weight with the use of this trigger alone."

FortTom
25 February 2017, 08:14

Did you do anything else besides install the trigger? I know Glock armorer's take a blood oath to ensure that people don't modify ANY thing on their Glocks, especially if they are going to be carry guns, but I have a formula that after many different tries, that works well and is safe and reliable. If not already done from the factory, polish every surface that contacts anything. 3.5lb connector. Drop firing pin spring from 6 lb to 5lb. Any lower and you'll risk light primer strikes. Go up one pound for trigger spring from 5lb to 6lb. Use OEM Trigger housing/ejector. Buy a steel safety plunger and polish the hell out of the top (I just use a dremel with small cotton whell and some semi-chrome or Flitz. I also cheated and bough a pre-polished SS safety plunger from Apex for this project.

You probably know all of this already, but maybe some others here don't.

Things that I've had or seen fail: Aftermarket trigger housing with adjustment screw from trigger. Failed twice, but one might have been my fault, I used red lock-tite and that might have affected the structural integrity of the plastic. Anyway, I found that OEM works much better. Gaston was pretty smart.

Titanium safety plungers. I recommend that folks take them and throw them into the bowels of hell. Unless you're using the gun for comp/target ONLY, you'll save so little weight that you'll never notice the difference. The tops are generaly Ti nitride and it peels back. I've seen three, 2 others and one my own, have catastrophic failures. (won't operate).

Like I said, UW, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with all of this, but if someone is doing this (Glock Triggers) for the first time, this might save them a lot of grief, that I had to stubbornly teach myself the hard way.[:D] I would bet that you can get the trigger down to about 4lbs. maybe just a hair lighter.

Do the triggers have a "fat" safety, and is the trigger coated with NP3? I googled these triggers and they seem to be the same as the ones Robar sells, but I'm not sure??

FT

Stickman
25 February 2017, 12:26
Did you do anything else besides install the trigger? I know Glock armorer's take a blood oath to ensure that people don't modify ANY thing on their Glocks, especially if they are going to be carry guns, but I have a formula that after many different tries, that works well and is safe and reliable. If not already done from the factory, polish every surface that contacts anything. 3.5lb connector. Drop firing pin spring from 6 lb to 5lb. Any lower and you'll risk light primer strikes. Go up one pound for trigger spring from 5lb to 6lb. Use OEM Trigger housing/ejector. Buy a steel safety plunger and polish the hell out of the top (I just use a dremel with small cotton whell and some semi-chrome or Flitz. I also cheated and bough a pre-polished SS safety plunger from Apex for this project.

You probably know all of this already, but maybe some others here don't.

FT

I've been to the Glock armorer 5 or 6 times, starting back in 96 and never told we couldn't change anything. Glock just pushes the "Glock is perfect" angle like most companies do. The last class I was at the instructor was pretty honest and open about things and commented Glock changes things just so departments and people want to buy new models. When it came to aftermarket parts, he would comment that it was a Glock course and while there were other options, he was paid to be there to teach Glocks.

They have mentioned in multiple classes switching parts to create a different trigger pull, but none of them felt all that crisp to me.

FortTom
25 February 2017, 17:19
I've been to the Glock armorer 5 or 6 times, starting back in 96 and never told we couldn't change anything. Glock just pushes the "Glock is perfect" angle like most companies do. The last class I was at the instructor was pretty honest and open about things and commented Glock changes things just so departments and people want to buy new models. When it came to aftermarket parts, he would comment that it was a Glock course and while there were other options, he was paid to be there to teach Glocks.

They have mentioned in multiple classes switching parts to create a different trigger pull, but none of them felt all that crisp to me.

His "paid to be there to teach Glock" makes perfect sense." However, my experiences, especially in Glock forums pertaining to modifications and aftermarket parts have been different". Armorers, or at least those who had been to an armorers course go on ad nauseam to the 5th power squared, concerning not using aftermarket or modifying Glock parts. I've learned the hard way that they were more often than not, correct. If I was as active of a pistol shooter that I used to be, I'd like to go to the course, but now I just try to keep my SD skills halfway alive, and it just wouldn't be worth it, especially since I carry an M&P most of the time.

The method that I used and posted to get a smooth trigger with a "safe" 3.5 to 4lb. pull, still won't get you a "crisp" e.g. tuned 1911 trigger break. Probably many more ways to do it, but it's been a reliable, repeatable formula for me. The only AM trigger, for a striker fired pistol I've found that comes even close to that is the APEX FSS which I have one of in all 3 of my M&P's. The downside of that is that it's illegal in a lot of competition classes, and are almost universally a no-go for LEO carry.

TACT: Got the PM. Thanks. I decided on and purchased a KKM match barrel. I hope to get good accuracy and reliable feeding with it. If not, this is going to be one hell of an expensive experiment. I've almost forgot this was going to be fun.[:D]

FT

Arsenal Democracy
3 March 2017, 18:49
Consider the Arsenal Democracy SWiTCH trigger - it's a Whole New Breed.

https://www.arsenaldemocracy.us/product/switch/

UWone77
3 March 2017, 18:51
Consider the Arsenal Democracy SWiTCH trigger - it's a Whole New Breed.

https://www.arsenaldemocracy.us/product/switch/

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you guys on board!

mustangfreek
23 April 2017, 19:07
Old thread but..
I have had a overwatch tac trigger in my g19 since last year

Have still yet to find the connector/spring combo that I truly like..maybe I'm trying to hard but I still think I can get it better..I phuck with everything..lol..

But a lw, ghost , dot,std 5.5 glock, and stock spring and zev extra power spring
Haven't tried and different aftermarket strikers /striker springs , just a good inspection and polish of what needs to be.

But compared to stock it is much better , nice flat face to finger and out of the box it is a shorter take up to the wall..but still (for me atleast) it's more noticeable then I was led on , but still better all round for me and GLOCK triggers..I have noticed I do shoot a little better..as far as groups before and after..

I still need to round up a minus connector to try, seems most like the dot and minus with this trigger

mustangfreek
23 April 2017, 19:30
Some quick pics before I had put it in to show the difference

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z176/mustang91_2007/gun%20crap/E18EA881-04A1-408C-8A57-6B270817637F_zpsdba4x1ng.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/user/mustang91_2007/media/gun%20crap/E18EA881-04A1-408C-8A57-6B270817637F_zpsdba4x1ng.jpg.html)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z176/mustang91_2007/gun%20crap/BC87D723-8C41-4379-A0F9-98DC7A43A08F_zpsmysruldc.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/user/mustang91_2007/media/gun%20crap/BC87D723-8C41-4379-A0F9-98DC7A43A08F_zpsmysruldc.jpg.html)

UWone77
23 April 2017, 20:34
Old thread but..
I have had a overwatch tac trigger in my g19 since last year

Have still yet to find the connector/spring combo that I truly like..maybe I'm trying to hard but I still think I can get it better..I phuck with everything..lol..

But a lw, ghost , dot,std 5.5 glock, and stock spring and zev extra power spring
Haven't tried and different aftermarket strikers /striker springs , just a good inspection and polish of what needs to be.

But compared to stock it is much better , nice flat face to finger and out of the box it is a shorter take up to the wall..but still (for me atleast) it's more noticeable then I was led on , but still better all round for me and GLOCK triggers..I have noticed I do shoot a little better..as far as groups before and after..

I still need to round up a minus connector to try, seems most like the dot and minus with this trigger

I've got like 3 or 4 overwatch triggers I've been trying out. Much like yourself, I have yet to find the perfect connector/spring combo. So far I find it just barely better than the stock Glock trigger. I'll give it a few thousand more rounds to break in though before I decide if I like it or not.

tact
24 April 2017, 01:58
I thought the whole premise or mission behind the Overwatch/Robar trigger was basically keeping as close to stock (trigger pull weight) while just improving the pre-travel over an OEM trigger.

mustangfreek
24 April 2017, 03:31
I've got like 3 or 4 overwatch triggers I've been trying out. Much like yourself, I have yet to find the perfect connector/spring combo. So far I find it just barely better than the stock Glock trigger. I'll give it a few thousand more rounds to break in though before I decide if I like it or not.

Right on, running any with lighter strikers /springs?
I know you have a few different glock triggers..got a favorite?

I thought the whole premise or mission behind the Overwatch/Robar trigger was basically keeping as close to stock (trigger pull weight) while just improving the pre-travel over an OEM trigger.

Ya pre and over travel, plus slightly shorter reach, here's a copy of overwatch's description

The flat face reduces trigger reach by 0.24", making this an ideal option for smaller statured shooters. Pre-travel has been reduced as much as possible without compromising firearm safety features, resulting in a clean, crisp break, and reduced overtravel. Robar's NP3 plating provides virtually impermeable corrosion resistance and smooth, grit-free operation. Note that trigger pull weight does not change from factory weight with the use of this trigger alone.

tact
24 April 2017, 03:48
Yeah, I know the description. I was referring to what I read or heard from someone associated with the development of the trigger.

mustangfreek
24 April 2017, 04:10
Gotcha, was just Dropping some info..

Kinda wish I had a trigger scale for the hell of it, to see aft/before weights from stock to just trigger , to more exotic striker/sprig setups

UWone77
24 April 2017, 11:55
Yeah, I know the description. I was referring to what I read or heard from someone associated with the development of the trigger.

The trigger has a "snappiness" to it that I wasn't expecting. It's hard to describe. Just to clarify, I'm not having issues with the pull weight. It just doesn't have the smoothness I was expecting. Sorry I suck at describing triggers.[:D]