PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 or gen 4?

KW900A
12 February 2017, 05:29
I have a gen 3 g19 and love everything about it. I'm thinking of buying a second to possibly toy with. As far as the gen 4 goes, I have only held one, never fired one. I'm fine with another gen 3, but wouldn't mind a 4 either. from what I have read, the trigger feel is better on the 4, but I'm so used to the trigger feel on my 3, that it's just second nature to me. Just wondering your alls thoughts...

Thanks

voodoo_man
12 February 2017, 06:05
Unless you need a changeable back strap on the Glock because your hand is too big, I'd suggest sticking with the gen3.

KW900A
12 February 2017, 06:32
I'm certainly leaning to the 3 anyway, and it does fit my hand very well, so thanks for the input

FortTom
12 February 2017, 19:24
I like the fact that Glock finally decided to make weapons designed for people with other than baseball glove sized hands. However I've only shot a couple of mags out of a friends. The trigger felt odd, in a bad way, compared to what I own now, and have owned in the past, but really that would be largely subjective especially with what little experience I've had, just having shot the one Gen 4.

My biggest reason for recommending the Gen 3, and I don't know if it's the same as where you are, but here dealers still have a lot of stock of Gen 3's on hand, and you can buy them at close to $75 - $100 dollars cheaper than a Gen 4. And, you know what your getting, as in feel, balance etc.. vs. a Gen 4.

If you don't mind one and want to save even more, you can find them used, (Gen 3's), most look like they barely had a couple of boxes of ammo for as low as $350. For that kind of cash you can get your Glock and buy an awesome set of sights, or a KKM or other barrel. in like new condition for still less than a new Gen 4.

I don't know if the same market conditions are the same in VA as they are here, but it's worth looking into.

Lastly, I don't think you can go wrong with which ever you choose.

Good Luck!

FT[:D]

KW900A
20 February 2017, 08:00
Thanks FT for the input. I can still get a new gen 3 for right around $500, sometimes a bit under. Around here though, a used glock typically runs nearly the same price as a new one. This makes no sense to me.

I'm leaning towards another 3, and an 80%.

FortTom
21 February 2017, 11:01
Thanks FT for the input. I can still get a new gen 3 for right around $500, sometimes a bit under. Around here though, a used glock typically runs nearly the same price as a new one. This makes no sense to me.

I'm leaning towards another 3, and an 80%.
Wow! Folks out your way are certainly proud of their Glocks, at those prices, especially used. I currently only own a 19 and 23. They fit my hands well, and I've got about 3/4 of the parts I need to finish the Polymer 80 I'm waiting for. It (the 80%) is going to set me back some serious coin, with triggers, barrel, stippling, sights, the slide etc..etc..After I'm finished, I seriously doubt I could get 60 or 70% of my money back out of it, especially since it's not a real "GLOCK". So I'm not doing that one for an investment, that's for sure.

Not sure what's going on where you are, where a used one will cost you the same as a new one. I do know that sometimes firearms prices can swing wildly from one state to another.

As to your original question, which was Gen 3 or Gen 4, I wish I had the experience other than just the one that I shot a magazine through, to share with you, but I do know that the one Gen 4 I shot felt strange, most notably the trigger. Maybe you can find a range that rents them and shoot them, the Gen3 and Gen4 side by side?

FT

Former11B
21 February 2017, 12:11
I'd say if you already have the Gen 3...get another Gen 3. Interchangeable parts if you ever have one go down.

KW900A
21 February 2017, 13:54
No kidding FT, for example, this place is about 30 minutes south of me. Good people, very knowledgeable and they have a great selection. They have 3 used glocks in stock---

Gen 3 23 for $529
Gen 3 23 for $489
Gen 3 30 for $539

This is the only live example I have because they have a site. But it gives you an idea. Like with most used guns, there is room for negotiation, but still. That's a high starting point. To me at least.

Whether I decide to build a stripped frame, or and 80%, I'm going to tie up some cash also.

I would like to shoot a 3 and 4 side by side for 'research' but I agreee with sticking with the 3, I had not thought about having one to back up the other in case of a failure.

FortTom
21 February 2017, 19:17
Yeah, that's a lot of coin for used Glocks, regardless of condition. I can get new Gen 3's for about or less than that. I guess if the market will bear those prices, especially for used, well... that's called free market capitalism, fair and squre.[:D]

KW900A
22 February 2017, 04:19
That's right, if the market will bear that price, by all means.

Just doesn't make sense for me to buy used around here. I did open a gun broker account recently though...

Stickman
25 February 2017, 12:35
I'd say if you already have the Gen 3...get another Gen 3. Interchangeable parts if you ever have one go down.

Same thoughts here. I would be shooting all Gen 2 and having the fronts modified for lights if I could keep parts all the same. The Gen 4 dual recoil setups don't seem to matter much except to the marketing staff.....

thefortisproject
24 July 2017, 12:07
I don't necessarily have a preference of generation as we sell both. I think the finish on the Gen3 pistols I've been issued in the past have held up better than the Gen4's. Most of our local customers prefer the Gen4 pistols and most of them will never have issues with the finish on the occasional range trip.

ChattanoogaPhil
29 August 2017, 11:20
I have a Gen3 19. I think it's one of the best Mr Gaston Glock has ever sold.

http://i.imgur.com/7mFsxrE.jpg

Joelski
29 August 2017, 14:26
I am partial to 3's and even though the 5 is a complete snoozer, the MHS model is interesting..

http://www.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/06/mhs-g19sub-mags-682x383.1498665163.jpg