PDA

View Full Version : Hope I am not making a mistake...

rxer311
13 February 2017, 18:33
So I recently finished an SMOS build with Noveske Afghan barrel. This was built as another spare rifle. I have yet to fire the rifle but it really is an awesome build.

Anyway, the other day I learned on this site that Silencerco was discontinuing the Sake mount suppressors. I had equipped some of my rifles that I planned on running suppressed in the future with Saker mounts which are pinned and welded on 2 of my rifles. I have yet to jump into the game of NFA items but always had planned on getting a can in the future and a 5.56 Saker was it.

Flash forward to today...

I was in my local gun store and they are blowing out their last Saker mount can. Its a 7.62 and they are selling the one that comes with a 30 cal brake. They have it marked down to $599.

Now, I don't have spare cash on hand at the moment and the wife already gave me some freebies to finish off my pistol.

So, today I left my new build at the gun store to be sold on consignment to fund the can. The good news is that the shop owner pulled aside the can with my name on it and will keep it aside for me until my rifle sells.

I probably have about $1600+ into this rifle. Put it on consignment for $1249. The shop owner thinks I could probably get $1399 for it if I am patient, but I priced it to sell.

Do you think I am making a good move here, or should I just get my rifle back and hope I can find a saker in the future when I have funds? The thing is, I don't think I am going to find a deal this good again in the near future. I guess I don't mind losing out some money on my nice build if I am getting a steal on the can.

The good news is that if I sell it at this price I will get the can, plus enough money to set up an NFA trust, and pay for the tax stamps for the can and a pistol that I want to SBR.

UWone77
13 February 2017, 18:38
Well... the way I'm looking at this:

You're taking a $350 loss at your asking price on the rifle

You're buying a $600 discontinued can

You're buying this can because you invested in Trifecta Mounts

It's your money, but personally, I don't think I would have sold the rifle to fund a $600 can.

Slippers
13 February 2017, 19:00
It's not that big of a deal to change the muzzle devices, even if they're pinned. Use a competent gunsmith. Leave them be until you purchase a suppressor and know what mounts you'll finally be using.

And I say this as a Saker 762 owner - you do not want to use the Trifecta MAAD long term. I went through three Trifecta mounts on my Saker before I finally had Silencerco switch me to the ASR MAAD, which has worked fine (although it's not perfect either). I just recently changed to the Dead Air Key-Mo mount, which is what the Trifecta should have been. So far it has been working well, and I much prefer it over ASR.

alamo5000
13 February 2017, 19:44
There is no way I would do the same thing. You could either keep the upper for non suppressed shooting or sell/trade it (even at a discount) and build another and come out way better. I certainly would not do all that for a suppressor when there are better options out there.

UWone77
13 February 2017, 20:01
Also for anyone reading... Don't pin and weld muzzle devices for cans you do not own yet. Plans change, they always change.

Stone
13 February 2017, 20:05
There's an old saying: When there is doubt, there is no doubt. You know what to do, go get that rifle back...

"The good news is that if I sell it at this price I will get the can, plus enough money to set up an NFA trust, and pay for the tax stamps for the can and a pistol that I want to SBR." Well that would be good news if you weren't $400 in the hole then... Ever hear of the point of diminishing returns? Besides, what you are doing is a fear based decision and the left side of your brain is trying to bring you back to reason. In my life experiences fear based decisions never end well.

Right now with the possible law changes on the HPA and possible other NFA changes its a great time to just sit and wait and see what comes down the pipe. Odds are in our favor.

schambers
13 February 2017, 20:52
Dead Air makes an adapter for Saker cans. Allows the use of a Saker on a Dead Air muzzle device.

alamo5000
13 February 2017, 21:51
Dead Air makes an adapter for Saker cans. Allows the use of a Saker on a Dead Air muzzle device.

How would that help? He doesn't have dead air muzzle devices pinned on his barrels.

At the end of the discussion though I would be back at that shop as soon as the doors open and get my rifle back no matter what.

alamo5000
13 February 2017, 22:01
Also for anyone reading... Don't pin and weld muzzle devices for cans you do not own yet. Plans change, they always change.

Measure twice, cut once.

fledge
13 February 2017, 22:18
Send your pinned barrels to Axlnut. He'll take care of you when the time comes.

I wouldn't sell that rifle for that can. Have patience. Save some more. Avoid impulsive decisions.

If you want feedback, ask BEFORE you make decisions not after. ;)

schambers
14 February 2017, 02:56
How would that help? He doesn't have dead air muzzle devices pinned on his barrels.

Just gives him more options if he is worried about compatability and parts availability in the future

rxer311
14 February 2017, 07:33
Well, I did think this over last night. I did take all of your advice into consideration, however, I think that this is actually the right decision for me. I understand that probably 95% of the folks on here would not go this route, but I did weigh my options.

I actually do build and sell a lot of rifles and this one was built as a spare. I have another rifle that is essentially the same and I have 3 other AR's in my safe right now. I have been putting off buying a can for a few years now and I have the opportunity to buy the one that I have wanted at a steep discount before it becomes unavailable. Also with the current climate, if cans are taken of the NFA list I think there will be an overnight spike in demand with increased prices at the dealer level and issues with dealers being able to stock inventory, at least in the short term.

I have looked into some of the shortcomings of the Saker and I believe that it will still work for what I want it for and I know that Silencerco takes care of all issues in the future. If I would have to change my mounting system due to a saker failure then I know that Silencerco does their best to make it right.

Its a sweet build, but I can live with letting it go for the can plus the cash coming my way. If you are interested in the rifle take a look in the classifieds.

Thanks for the input as it is valued, but I had to look at my personal situation to make the right choice.

SINNER
14 February 2017, 07:43
Rifles are a dime a dozen. My Saker's are some of my favorite suppressors. Just grabbed a K to go with my others. I think you made the right choice.

Slippers
14 February 2017, 07:56
I love my saker, too. Just not the mounts. Thankfully the mount can be changed.

tact
14 February 2017, 15:20
Love my Sakers as well.

Vel
17 February 2017, 10:41
At that discount I would do the same thing. I have a 7.62 Saker as well but I've never had any non-user issues with the mounting system. From my experience people tend to over tighten the ratchet mounts. If you really try to crank it on you will have issues taking it back off, especially when it's hot. Mine gets bounced around 5 or 6 different host rifles and does just fine as long as you don't try and He-Man that bitch on there.

rxer311
18 February 2017, 11:50
The rifle is sold to another member on this site. I am very happy that is was somebody from WEVO to buy it.

Now I start the work on my first can and SBR.

Wooohooo