PDA

View Full Version : Light on your pistol

SturmSoldaten
21 March 2009, 12:35
how do u guys feel about tactical lights on your pistols? i am still considering putting one on my USP45 and was wondering what guys/gals out there thought.

Policetacteam
21 March 2009, 15:03
I have run a Surefire X200B for several years on my duty pistol (Glock 22) and I wouldn't have it any other way! I think it depends on what your application will be. I personally cannot see many reasons to not have a weapon mounted light. The light increase your own safety by being able to properly identify threats. The light will also allow you to keep both hands on the pistol which will increase your accuracy. I'm sure someone else can say this way better than myself but the answer is YES. Once you have one I would bet you would not be without one down the road.

Army Chief
21 March 2009, 15:37
The answer to this question does depend somewhat on where and how you intend to use the pistol; that said, let's assume the classic home defense scenario at two o'clock in the morning.

A handgun offers the ability to interdict an intruder when something goes bump in the night. That is important, but there is something that is even more important, and that is target discrimination.

A weapon-mounted light offers the ability to discern whether that bump was caused by an actual intruder, or a loved one who just happens to be up in the night. When put in those terms, the advantages of having an onboard illumination tool become pretty obvious.

AC

rob_s
21 March 2009, 16:06
The only time I don't want a light on my pistol is for concealed carry, and that's only because I'm too skinny to be able to conceal the light and the gun.

One word of caution is to make sure you get training on how to use the light on the gun, and get some test firing of the combo to make sure it doesn't induce malfunctions.

adrenaline151
21 March 2009, 16:08
For my home, I choose to keep a flashlight handy, just for the fact that if a light is mounted on the weapon, where you point the light...you point the weapon. Great for intruders, but not so hot for family members. That being said, I don't see why you couldn't have both, and use them accordingly. For any kind of duty outside of my home, I would like the weapon mounted light. Then, there's also the point to be made that a light could very well become a bullet magnet, giving away your position, but I believe most night-training scenarios would at least have a short lesson on usage of light in a hairy situation. I have even seen this type of training on TV programs, I think it was Clint Smith showing the usage of light, bouncing off walls and other surfaces at random to get a visual without giving up your position or direction of movement.
I've been thinking about light usage on a carbine, wanting to mount a TLR-1 on the 12 o'clock rail of my DDM4, but not sure how to deal with the light direction/weapon direction problem. Probably will stick to a handgun for the house, but then again, with no kids, if the wife is still in bed, someone is where they shouldn't be....it's on.

Stickman
21 March 2009, 16:11
how do u guys feel about tactical lights on your pistols? i am still considering putting one on my USP45 and was wondering what guys/gals out there thought.

An easy counter question to this is "when is it acceptable to shoot something you can't identify?"

CAPT KIRK
21 March 2009, 19:21
An easy counter question to this is "when is it acceptable to shoot something you can't identify?"

AMEN!!!! and truely correct.

Eric
21 March 2009, 22:42
Good info posted above, but I'll throw something else out for consideration. Far too often I see weapon mounted lights being deployed improperly, in that they violate rule # 2 of the Safety Fundamentals: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!. Muzzle discipline does not get to be dismissed because a light source is bolted onto the weapon.

Alaskapopo
21 March 2009, 22:47
The only time I don't want a light on my pistol is for concealed carry, and that's only because I'm too skinny to be able to conceal the light and the gun.

One word of caution is to make sure you get training on how to use the light on the gun, and get some test firing of the combo to make sure it doesn't induce malfunctions.

+1 A light is always a good thing except on concealed carry because of the added bulk. This is my duty pistol.
Pat
Wilson CQB with a Surefire x300 and Crimson Trace laser grips.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/IM000889.jpg

Alaskapopo
21 March 2009, 22:49
Good info posted above, but I'll throw something else out for consideration. Far too often I see weapon mounted lights being deployed improperly, in that they violate rule # 2 of the Safety Fundamentals: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!. Muzzle discipline does not get to be dismissed because a light source is bolted onto the weapon.

I agree with you to a point but if I have my gun out and am searching everything is a threat until I determine otherwise. If my light crosses something I am not willing to destroy my muzzle will come down. But I do agree that we need to be as safe with the muzzle as possible.

Pat

Army Chief
22 March 2009, 00:48
Far too often I see weapon mounted lights being deployed improperly, in that they violate rule # 2 of the Safety Fundamentals: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!. Muzzle discipline does not get to be dismissed because a light source is bolted onto the weapon.

There is an associated training issue here, to be sure, but this remains an excellent point. Unless there is a deliberate effort to train past this tendency, and to practice off-center viewing techniques, it is almost counter-intuitive not to point a weapon-mounted light directly at a potential target. As Eric rightly implies, that is an accident just waiting to happen.

AC

rob_s
22 March 2009, 05:37
Agree with AC.

One of the requirements of having a light on an HD pistol or rifle is to take a few practice runs through the house with your typical 0300 lights on (and off) to get an idea of what you can see/illuminate and what you can't. I know that with my X300, I don't have to point the gun at something to see it, at least in my house with our white walls.

Also as alluded to, there are keys and triggers, regardless of light or not. My ole lady is 5'4" 100 lbs, and the kid is 4' 60 lbs. A 6' 200 lb body should NOT be in my house at 0300, light or no llight.

Ryanty12
24 November 2009, 20:26

So your basically saying there is no point for a weapons mounted light..If your trying to distinguish friend from foe with a weapons mounted light, the muzzle will at some point come across that person no matter what. I see your opinion in this but weapons mounted lights to me are almost necessities if using for home defense.

rebelEMPIRE
24 November 2009, 21:55
My home defense weapons are mounted with lights. If anyone breaks into my house and it happens to be in the late hours, a face full of 100+ lumens is enough to disorient any intruder; there's an element of surprise. Not to mention it sure as hell beats shooting in the dark.

And like the above posters mentioned, I don't carry a light on my concealed carry weapon either.

-rebelEMPIRE

Optimus Prime
24 November 2009, 21:58
A big thing for me too is the fact that in a home defense situation, one hand on the gun, one hand on the flashlight, one hand holding the phone, and another hand opening the bedroom door... I ran out of hands a while ago.
Plus I have some messed up ligaments in my off hand wrist, and sometimes sleep with a brace on. I can't handle a separate flashlight and a pistol with any normal technique while wearing a wrist brace.
As far as pointing the muzzle at the target when you ID it, you're finger shouldn't be on the trigger before you properly ID said target either.

rob_s
25 November 2009, 04:12
So your basically saying there is no point for a weapons mounted light..If your trying to distinguish friend from foe with a weapons mounted light, the muzzle will at some point come across that person no matter what. I see your opinion in this but weapons mounted lights to me are almost necessities if using for home defense.

I think you completely completely misunderstood his post, either intentionally or out of ignorance.

I don't see anywhere that he said you shouldn't have a weapon mounted light. What I read was that you should get good quality training so that you know how to both properly illuminate a scene and potentially avoid covering your wife or kid with the muzzle.

Anytime I see someone comment (or infer that someone else did when they didn't) that they'd have to point the gun at someone in order to ID them it tells me that they've never even walked around their house at night with a flashlight and a critical eye.

beavo451
25 November 2009, 07:16
Another X300 user here. I use a DG switch too for easy, one-hand operation. Oh and conceal carry with this thing is easy with Raven Concealment holster. [:D]

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pBkWftmMzV3fSZOiN9QLzh5h59_iUAGTjCcu2I_QUHMhHFhf ttlMKlbyGy__2HY7zjH-huTAjg5eA5u6ePu6Dfg/DSC_4100.jpg

Creeky73
26 November 2009, 19:55
My question is, why NOT have a light mounted on your gun, unless your gun is strictly concealed carry? Just because you have the light on your gun does not mean you must automatically use it in every situation. If something goes bump in the night, assuming that you have time to think at all, you can make the determination as to whether you should turn on your light or not. Many times, an argument against Accessory X comes from people who also argue against high capacity magazines on the basis of "hit it right the first time and you don't need more bullets." Well fine, you are right, so if you choose to defend your home with a muzzle loader because you are that great of a shot, that is your decision. Me, I have no issues with having 29 rounds left in the magazine after the intruder is off to meet his maker. Tis better to have and not need. If you want a flashlight on your handgun, put a light on it.

Cadre09
7 May 2010, 20:15
I know this is somewhat unrelated, but has anyone found a way to put a accessory rail on a 2nd gen glock? I've got a G22 that I'd love to light for at some point. Is there a way to do this without serious modification to the frame?

Stickman
8 May 2010, 09:29
Cadre09,

Surefire used to make lights that would fit the M9, and I had thought they made a similar kit for the Gen II Glocks. I know there were a few companies that used to offer them, but its been a few years since I've checked around for one.

phirehawk
8 May 2010, 10:39
I have handled these from CAA (http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?cID=52&pID=139&c=83716) and they may fit your need for a rail on a 2nd gen Glock. I've also seen custom work gunsmiths have done to add a rail with some careful Dremel and filing work.

liberty057
11 May 2010, 08:28
Really dig the TLR-3 on my Glock 22... just need to find a good holster setup.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2540/4151872106_93afdd0c71.jpg

NOLACOPUSMC
11 May 2010, 09:52
Surefire X300 or X400(with laser)

Witht he availability of lights and holsters, it is more an argument of why not on any gun. Even with concealed carry, unless in very hot enviroment or specific body type, most can conceal adequately.

Definitely a force multiplier.

Shenaniguns
11 May 2010, 15:47
Put me in the it is better to have both if possible category [:D]

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/5b1feca9.jpg

Vern1968
20 May 2010, 05:13
I think they are a must for for home defense pistols. I attached a Streamlight TLR-3 to my Glock 19 and I would buy it again. Fumbling with a flashlight with your other hand doesn't seem as easy. You don't have to directly point your weapon at what you want to see either. Use the outer-most edges of the beam (splash?) area to illuminate. The momentary on feature is awesome. It's light weight, throws a great beam, and is inexpensive.

TehLlama
20 May 2010, 17:59
If commentators are right, and MiniRDS's integral to the slide start to become the norm for high-end HD pistols - will this debate all but disappear? I'm a bit curious what drawbacks other than weight and bulk there are?