PDA

View Full Version : Anchorbrake Strike

cjd3
20 February 2017, 12:59
https://i.imgur.com/p1g2N6Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/V1G1jRi.jpg

This was from a few weeks ago. Just got the new SilencerCo high temp cover. Instead of putting the outer wrap on the range, I put it on at home, and put the can in my range bag. Well, at the range, I screwed on the can, and "thought" I screwed on the ASR ring. First shot, and the fucker launches out 10 yards. Pull the BCG, and look down the barrel, all is well. Look at the now naked muzzle brake, all looks fine. Wait for the range cease fire to pick up the Omega. At first thankful glance, the can looks fine. That's when I notice the ASR ring was engaged. It was screwed shut prior to attaching to the rifle. Since I was outside, wearing gloves, I didn't realize this (poor excuse). Baffles are fine, and as you can see the .223 round hits and bounces inside the anchor brake. Had this been a .30 cal projectile, I may not haven as lucky.

Now I double check the ASR ring before mounting so I don't have an $800 paper weight.

Side note, you really need to crank down the straps on this cover or it will slide forward. The rubber sleeve is slicker than it seems.

alamo5000
20 February 2017, 13:17
What is an anchor brake? I'm not familiar with the design of those cans.

Slippers
20 February 2017, 13:24

It's just a different endcap that is a large multi port brake. You can remove it and put a normal end cap on to shorten the suppressor.

alamo5000
20 February 2017, 14:11
It's just a different endcap that is a large multi port brake. You can remove it and put a normal end cap on to shorten the suppressor.

Ah. I see. Cool. Thanks for the reply.

cjd3
20 February 2017, 14:12
What Slippers said. It's comes with the Omega and the Hybrid. I use the plain endcap when hunting to help keep the water out, and shorter.

alamo5000
20 February 2017, 18:17

What Slippers said. It's comes with the Omega and the Hybrid. I use the plain endcap when hunting to help keep the water out, and shorter.

What's it supposed to do? Anything technical? Sorry. Everyone knows I struggle to contain my curiosity about technical stuff [BD]

Anyway I assume if the internals of the can are ok you can just buy another one of those fancy end caps. Might not be cheap but it's far better than buying a new suppressor.

KW900A
20 February 2017, 18:29
Ive not dealt with one personally Alamo, but my understanding is it's essentially a muzzle brake for the end of the suppressor

Slippers
20 February 2017, 18:48
What's it supposed to do? Anything technical? Sorry. Everyone knows I struggle to contain my curiosity about technical stuff [BD]

Anyway I assume if the internals of the can are ok you can just buy another one of those fancy end caps. Might not be cheap but it's far better than buying a new suppressor.

Reduces recoil, like any other muzzle brake. :)

SINNER
20 February 2017, 20:28
Ouch. I wonder if that will affect accuracy now?

cjd3
20 February 2017, 22:12

Ouch. I wonder if that will affect accuracy now?
The baffles weren't touched. Quite possibly since I was shooting .223 and not a .30 cal projectile. If I was shooting .30 cal, the result may not have been the same.

SiliencerCo warrantied my dumbass, even after the explanation. The new one showed up and everything is fine. As for the brake vs. endcap. I haven't done a recoil comparison. But with .223 and .30-06, it's not really necessary. If I was shooting an magnums, I'd defiantly keep it on.

UWone77
20 February 2017, 23:02
Reduces recoil, like any other muzzle brake. :)

LOL. At least he gave you kid glove answer alamo.

alamo5000
21 February 2017, 03:30
LOL. At least he gave you kid glove answer alamo.

I figured either I would be told a)it doesn't do anything or b) STFU and quit asking so many questions :)

Just based on a quick glance at those cans maybe both? LOL

SINNER
21 February 2017, 06:26
Well they honestly don't do much. I've yet to feel any difference with up to .300 Win Mags.

Former11B
21 February 2017, 09:42
Your anchor brake is now more efficient.