PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel Medical - Direct Action Response Kit

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 07:20
I ordered two D.A.R.K. kits, one for myself and one for my wife. I haven't used them and I hope I don't have to so I can't comment on the contents of the kits or the usage but I can comment on the following.

Ease of Ordering; Website is simple and was easy to get what I wanted.

Customer Service; Shipping and communication on the status of my order was very quick.

Quality; I chose the bright Safety Orange kits. I wanted them to be very easily identifiable should I need to access or ask someone else to access them. Quality of the kit is very high. The nylon bag is stitched well and thick. Velcro is strong and straps work great on a belt, MOLLE or other parts of gear for affixing.
Mine is on my work bag.

While I hope I never have to, I will update this post should I have to open it and use it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2672/32787078652_a4237555e9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RXhmcw)
Dark Angel (https://flic.kr/p/RXhmcw) by Damage Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/damagephotos/), on Flickr

Contents (NOT MY PIC I'm not opening it just to take pics. :P)
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-mc2ixn/images/stencil/2048x2048/products/814/2079/DarkAngelMedical-Product-246__58031.1483560930.jpg?c=2

2ATA
22 February 2017, 10:53
Please add a CAT tourniquet to that kit.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2017, 11:02
Or a RATS tourniquet. We actually switched to them here at work since they work just as well and are a lot cheaper.

PS: I could have hooked you up with just about all of that minus the pretty carrying case. Decent little kit though.

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 11:10
Good point! Why is that not in their pic? I opted for the CAT.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/47b53682caddde7046f5376d941d3abd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 11:11
Or a RATS tourniquet. We actually switched to them here at work since they work just as well and are a lot cheaper.

PS: I could have hooked you up with just about all of that minus the pretty carrying case. Decent little kit though.
I priced things individually before purchase and after my discount (thanks to some local training affiliation) it came to be close enough in price that I ordered and got the "pretty case". [emoji28]

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2017, 11:12
I priced things individually before purchase and after my discount (thanks to some local training affiliation) it came to be close enough in price that I ordered and got the "pretty case". [emoji28]

Fair enough... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joelski
22 February 2017, 11:21

RATS do NOT work as well!

The best TQ option at this point is a CAT or SOFT -T Wide. The DOD and CRASH-2 study show this. RATS would be an option...

Take the wrappers off. No sense spending gray-out time fumbling with a bloody wrapper. ;)

Default.mp3
22 February 2017, 11:21
Or a RATS tourniquet. We actually switched to them here at work since they work just as well and are a lot cheaper.I've heard many folks argue that the RATS is not a good TQ; I know Kerry Davis of Dark Angel has stated that he thinks they're only appropriate for canine use during my class.

As for the kit itself, IIRC the pouch is manufactured by First-Spear specifically for Dark Angel.

Have you had training to use the kit? If not, I would highly suggest you seek training for it. Otherwise, it would be akin conceal carrying without any training.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2017, 11:22

The best TQ option at this point is a CAT or SOFT -T Wide. The DOD and CRASH-2 study show this. RATS would be an option...

Take the wrappers off. No sense spending gray-out time fumbling with a bloody wrapper. ;)

Been using them for a couple of years now. If a TQ stops blood flow it works well. Have both and they work equally the same.. ymmv...

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 11:35

The kit is vacuum sealed with an easy wear open. I think if I opened it, I'd never get it all back in perfectly. The way it is now, pull tab, kit flies out, tear open fairly easily. The TQ though I guess I probably should take out of the plastic. That would make sense.

I've heard many folks argue that the RATS is not a good TQ; I know Kerry Davis of Dark Angel has stated that he thinks they're only appropriate for canine use during my class.

As for the kit itself, IIRC the pouch is manufactured by First-Spear specifically for Dark Angel.

Have you had training to use the kit? If not, I would highly suggest you seek training for it. Otherwise, it would be akin conceal carrying without any training.

Not yet. There are two classes here in MI. One this summer I won't be able to make and one in Oct. It's $450 and as long as it doesn't fill before I can pay for it, I am going to try to.
They fill fast though.
I'm NOT down playing training as I do understand I need it and it's on the list but I don't think it's quite the same as carrying a gun with no training. At a minimum I can hand the kit to someone who may be able to help but doesn't have gear with them. A first responder who is off duty, ect.
Hell even with the quick clot and the CAT I could probably extend my life or someone elses with internet knowledge.

Again, that's not to minimize training, just that I am better off with the kit than without it.

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 11:42
Thanks for the info James. It didn't even cross my mind to ask you about the stuff. Hell you use it everyday. I'm sure you've forgotten more than I'll learn with one class and some online videos.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 February 2017, 11:46
Thanks for the info James. It didn't even cross my mind to ask you about the stuff. Hell you use it everyday. I'm sure you've forgotten more than I'll learn with one class and some online videos.

Sure thing. It's nice to have options.

I agree it's much better to have the kit than not having it. Training with it when you can is of course recommended but most is pretty self explanatory.

Default.mp3
22 February 2017, 12:07
Good point! Why is that not in their pic? I opted for the CAT.It's not in the picture because the picture is of the contents of the insert. As you obviously know, the TQ is not a part of the vacuum sealed insert.

Not yet. There are two classes here in MI. One this summer I won't be able to make and one in Oct. It's $450 and as long as it doesn't fill before I can pay for it, I am going to try to.
They fill fast though.
I'm NOT down playing training as I do understand I need it and it's on the list but I don't think it's quite the same as carrying a gun with no training. At a minimum I can hand the kit to someone who may be able to help but doesn't have gear with them. A first responder who is off duty, ect.I think it's an apt comparison, as many folks conceal carry with no training beyond their CHL courses, and yet prevail in their defensive situations. While it's certainly better to have the kit than not have one, there is a financial cost to all that; after all, you could have saved for the class instead, and gotten a kit out of that (all students get a kit), plus the training; instead, you have two kits and possibly no training. Not hating, just trying to provide my POV; TQs are certainly fairly self-explanatory, and you can kinda learn how to use hemostatics and chest seals via video. I'd also consider getting an extra TQ for practice, so you can leave your TQ fresh and unused in the kit. A TQ isn't hard to use once you've been trained, but if you've never had any hands on time (or your wife, for example), then it can be quite confusing, particularly something like one-handed application.

Pyzik
22 February 2017, 12:29
It's not in the picture because the picture is of the contents of the insert. As you obviously know, the TQ is not a part of the vacuum sealed insert.

I think it's an apt comparison, as many folks conceal carry with no training beyond their CHL courses, and yet prevail in their defensive situations. While it's certainly better to have the kit than not have one, there is a financial cost to all that; after all, you could have saved for the class instead, and gotten a kit out of that (all students get a kit), plus the training; instead, you have two kits and possibly no training. Not hating, just trying to provide my POV; TQs are certainly fairly self-explanatory, and you can kinda learn how to use hemostatics and chest seals via video. I'd also consider getting an extra TQ for practice, so you can leave your TQ fresh and unused in the kit. A TQ isn't hard to use once you've been trained, but if you've never had any hands on time (or your wife, for example), then it can be quite confusing, particularly something like one-handed application.

I thought about waiting and getting one at class (It's a $140 difference to not get the kit at class and I paid $144 shipped so i'm only out $4 per kit). However, I MAY not make it this year. I do have two other classes and ammo to pay for as well. And my wife wouldn't take the the class. So I was going to need to buy her a kit anyway. Her's is in her car. I plan to transfer as much knowledge to her as I can but as I said before, if someone comes to her aid she can hand it to them or say "grab the orange pack and help me".

I am picking up at least one more TQ (maybe two) for the wife and I to play with. That was also a recommendation from previous attendees and trainers locally.

I understand your argument and position and you have valid points. Just the way I decided to do things with my limited funds and training time for the year.
Once kids are bigger and in school I'll have more time and money.

2ATA
22 February 2017, 12:32
I believe that the CAT is the easiest for self application. I do maintain a large incident bag that primarily contains SOF-T Wide for tourniquets. I am not yet convinced on the efficacy of the RATS nor its self application.

2ATA
22 February 2017, 12:35
I thought about waiting and getting one at class (It's a $140 difference to not get the kit at class and I paid $144 shipped so i'm only out $4 per kit). However, I MAY not make it this year. I do have two other classes and ammo to pay for as well. And my wife wouldn't take the the class. So I was going to need to buy her a kit anyway. Her's is in her car. I plan to transfer as much knowledge to her as I can but as I said before, if someone comes to her aid she can hand it to them or say "grab the orange pack and help me".

I am picking up at least one more TQ (maybe two) for the wife and I to play with. That was also a recommendation from previous attendees and trainers locally.

I understand your argument and position and you have valid points. Just the way I decided to do things with my limited funds and training time for the year.
Once kids are bigger and in school I'll have more time and money.

I know you are looking specifically at the Dark Angel medical course, however, I would also look at a TCCC course which are available more often locally.

Sak007
23 February 2017, 03:02
I took a Dark Angel class with Sequim Shooter a couple months ago in Yakima and I can't say enough about how great the class was & how much I would recommend it to anyone .

gatordev
23 February 2017, 04:12
I second (or third) getting the plastic wrap off the TQ. You can wrap a rubber band around it to keep it tight, but that's probably the one thing you'd need the quickest. Also, if Dark Angel hasn't done so already, make sure the bitter end of the strap has been laced through both portions of the buckle. They don't come that way from the factory, though several of the suppliers will lace it before you ship it. If you don't do this, it might hold, but the velcro might also slip after it starts getting wet and sticky.

As an aside, I was going through my med kit on my survival vest a few months ago just checking what was currently in there (or not) and pulled out the TQ expecting to find a CAT. I don't know what the brand is, but it's not the CAT (as I found out, because it was half the price on DoD eMall or whatever). Sad Face. I keep meaning to ask for a hook-up from a Corpsman, but fail to remember each and every time.

Joelski
23 February 2017, 19:23
The metal windlass on the SOF-T is a slight edge over the CAT. If you go full Ah-nuld off adrenaline, you will be less likely to snap it vs. the CAT. I dont trust the knock-offs for that reason, as almost every revision has seen the stick get bigger in circumference.

Also, prectice self-applying. A lot more than a couple of times. You might find that threading the strap back through the buckle is a disadvantage.

Forget there's a big needle in that kit. Good Samaritan laws don't stand up well if youtube is your only base. I've seen seasoned medics poke bad shit from reasons as stupid as not knowing landmarks to distorted anatomy.

Default.mp3
23 February 2017, 19:40
The metal windlass on the SOF-T is a slight edge over the CAT. If you go full Ah-nuld off adrenaline, you will be less likely to snap it vs. the CAT. I dont trust the knock-offs for that reason, as almost every revision has seen the stick get bigger in circumference.Yeah, the CAT Gen7 once again has reinforcements, including on the windlass. I think it's prudent to have both, as the CAT is much easier to do one-handed self-application, even if it lacks the robustness of the SOFTT-W, and can be a bit harder to apply to a leg.

Eric
26 February 2017, 11:16
Nice kit and an easy way to carry an IFAK. Are you trained in the use of the nasopharyngeal airway and decompression needle? The dart it a huge liability and extra expense if not.

Good info provided already about getting the CAT TQ unwrapped and properly staged for one-handed self application. As a side note, Amazon and eBay are littered with fake CAT tourniquets, so buy from a known source.

Pyzik
26 February 2017, 11:20
Nice kit and an easy way to carry an IFAK. Are you trained in the use of the nasopharyngeal airway and decompression needle? The dart it a huge liability and extra expense if not.

Good info provided already about getting the CAT TQ unwrapped and properly staged for one-handed self application. As a side note, Amazon and eBay are littered with fake CAT tourniquets, so buy from a known source.
That's good to know on the fake CATs.

I did not get the needle. I did get the nasopharyngeal but won't use it and will hand it to someone should they be more qaulified.

alamo5000
26 February 2017, 11:54

Yup. Precisely why I haven't invested in this kind of thing myself yet.

Default.mp3
26 February 2017, 13:50
FWIW, I have stated before that if you're interested in saving lives as a Good Samaritan, getting CPR/AED trained and learning FAST are both very simple, and far more likely to be used.

Eric
26 February 2017, 16:01
Yup. Precisely why I haven't invested in this kind of thing myself yet.

FWIW, I have stated before that if you're interested in saving lives as a Good Samaritan, getting CPR/AED trained and learning FAST are both very simple, and far more likely to be used.

I've come to the opinion that if you're around firearms, an accessible IFAK of some type is a great idea. Even if you're safe, maybe the other guy at the range isn't and sometimes, crap happens. Of course the IFAK isn't limited to addressing gunshot injuries. Anytime I leave the house the bag-o-stuff goes in the truck and it contains, among other things, supplies primarily for bleeding control (TQ, Israeli type bandages, gauze, chest seal, shears, etc.). CPR/AED/FA are indeed training that everyone should have.