PDA

View Full Version : how did you pick which lower to SBR?

ksenter
25 February 2017, 17:41
Before creating your first SBR, what did you consider in a lower receiver?

To me, I'm considering something that is of known quality and reputable. I do not want to submit on something like a Palmetto or Anderson, although I have not ran into issues on either. I also do not want something with a big gawdy logo that may not be so "hot" 10 years from now. I also do not want something that is "fad" right now, ultra chiseled or cutout/hollowed, etc. My consideration is something like a stripped Colt, BCM, Mega, Noveske, etc. These are lowers I wouldnt normally seek just for a range blaster, but now am interested in something like them. I saw an image of a new(?) SLR lower the other day and I really liked it, although it is a little more radical than a standard Colt or BCM for example.

What kind of thoughts/concerns did you consider before purchasing a lower for SBR?

UWone77
25 February 2017, 17:44
For me some considerations:

1. Milspec Lower (so it mates up well with the most variety of uppers)
2. Roll mark you like (you'll likely be married to it for life)

Once you have a few, then you can definitely branch out to whatever you like as the last few I've done are dedicated SBR's/Suppressor Hosts.

ksenter
25 February 2017, 18:05
when you say Milspec lower, you mean other than something like a billet? standard forged lowers? If so, we're in agreement in this regard.

UWone77
25 February 2017, 18:19
when you say Milspec lower, you mean other than something like a billet? standard forged lowers? If so, we're in agreement in this regard.

Yes. If I was only going to do 1 SBR lower, it would be a forged, Colt, BCM, LMT, KAC, Whatever.

Slippers
25 February 2017, 18:34
Best choice: SBR all your lowers. :)

alamo5000
25 February 2017, 19:02
I'm not one to dole out advice per se but I personally went with something I knew I would like and enjoy shooting. Everything from the roll mark on to the construction and other than that it was sheer personal satisfaction.

My way of thinking was that precisely because I was going to be married to it forever it was the best thing to splurge on (and not just the lower). I also personally prefer matching sets so I will probably buy a few more stripped uppers so at a future date I can build other things like .300 BLK or a different configuration and it will all still match.

Basically my SBR is CMT with a CMC trigger, SLR rail, Aimpoint etc etc. I went full on billet so I kind of started at the top shelf stuff on the grounds that at the time I might not get another one. Naturally I was kidding myself and now I want more SBRs and everything else too so as I build out my collection I would probably do some forged ARs again with matching sets of a quality known nature. Then again I really like my billet set so depending on my financial situation I could see myself with several more nice AR's.

tact
25 February 2017, 19:10
Billet = top shelf ???

Dstrbdmedic167
25 February 2017, 19:13
Billet = top shelf ???

I'd agree with that statement. Billet cost 2-3 times the price of standard Forged lowers and usually have additional features not offered on standard forged lowers. So they would be considered top shelf since not everyone does/is willing to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joelski
25 February 2017, 19:16
Didn't give one thought to the process other than being a decent lower. I probably broke 9 out of 10 rules, but im not a "buy a Colt" guy; that's so boring and this is evolution, not tribute.

alamo5000
25 February 2017, 19:29
Billet = top shelf ???

By itself no. Not at all. Not to me at least. But I do consider CMT and the other components I used to be top shelf and pleasing to use but that's just me.

I might not have expressed myself right. I was making more of a statement about CMT (love em) but not so much just billet in general.

alamo5000
25 February 2017, 19:35
I'd agree with that statement. Billet cost 2-3 times the price of standard Forged lowers and usually have additional features not offered on standard forged lowers. So they would be considered top shelf since not everyone does/is willing to buy them.

A terrible machinist can screw up any piece of metal that you give him [:D] The 'who' in the equation matters, as in who makes it and with what bells and whistles and what kind of fit and finish makes the difference.

BoilerUp
25 February 2017, 20:24
Whatever you chose, I suggest you build it up as a pistol first so you can function check everything and make sure you are happy with the setup. Plus you'll have it in a usable form you can enjoy while you wait for the stamp.

din
25 February 2017, 20:41
I put them all in a big circle on the floor, then I stood in the middle with a blindfold on and spun around until I was good and dizzy. I went with the first one I tripped over.

ksenter
25 February 2017, 21:10
Whatever you chose, I suggest you build it up as a pistol first so you can function check everything and make sure you are happy with the setup. Plus you'll have it in a usable form you can enjoy while you wait for the stamp.
I have multiple AR's including a pistol already. Not concerned about building it as a rifle and using it with rifle uppers until the stamp arrives. Generally speaking though, good info.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MoxyDave
26 February 2017, 14:02
I SBR'd both a high-end billet lower and a standard PSA forged lower. When I did it I was kind of new to ARs and I thought billet was super special.

Over time I've come to love the simple forged lower. The billet lower rarely comes out of the safe. They both have the same markings (I used Ident Marking, IIRC) but the forged lower is lighter, and it fits everything.

If I were to do it again I would buy a couple Aero Precision Gen 2 AR15 stripped lower receivers (https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black.html) with the adjustable nylon inserts and build them up as pistols.

I'd probably skip the whole NFA thing and use pistol braces instead. The whole NFA thing is completely retarded and you're just buying into their schemes with your $200 tax stamps.

It could also be that I've become a curmudgeon.

ksenter
5 March 2017, 20:06
2 Aero Precision Gen2 lowers, a spikes LPK, buffer spring and buffer came home with me last Thursday. Will install an existing RRA pistol tube until a stamp is acquired. Ordered a Form1 packet via the ATF website the other evening. 2018 will be the year of my SBR, haha. Who knows, maybe end of 2017

Aberration79
6 March 2017, 14:23
I have multiple AR's including a pistol already. Not concerned about building it as a rifle and using it with rifle uppers until the stamp arrives. Generally speaking though, good info.

I'd suggest building at a pistol lower first even if its just for a fraction of a second that you put the pistol buffer on. You can't make a pistol from a rifle, but if it started as a pistol it can be returned to a pistol. Sounds stupid as you can just say you did, but I actually did it just so I never had to lie LOL.

Tyrannosaur
6 March 2017, 20:17
I've thought this over many times. I feel as though I would do one of the Battle Arms forged lowers
Well made, has the tension screw and other nice add ons and I like the roll mark.
That being said I live in NY so I don't need to concern myself with such thoughts...

ksenter
6 March 2017, 20:35
I'd suggest building at a pistol lower first even if its just for a fraction of a second that you put the pistol buffer on. You can't make a pistol from a rifle, but if it started as a pistol it can be returned to a pistol. Sounds stupid as you can just say you did, but I actually did it just so I never had to lie LOL.

I've already threaded in my rra pistol tube. Lol. Will likely assemble the lower this week sometime.

What other plates (technical term escapes me but the rear plate that holds the take down spring in and locates extension/tube properly) will work with a pistol buffer tube? I know the Magpul asap does. Anything else? Can always grind the centering nub off a regular plate.

BoilerUp
6 March 2017, 21:11
I've already threaded in my rra pistol tube. Lol. Will likely assemble the lower this week sometime.

What other plates (technical term escapes me but the rear plate that holds the take down spring in and locates extension/tube properly) will work with a pistol buffer tube? I know the Magpul asap does. Anything else? Can always grind the centering nub off a regular plate.

KAK sells an endplate w/o the tab. https://www.kakindustry.com/plain-pistol-endplate

They also make pistol buffer tubes that take standard end plates and castle nuts. https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/shockwave-tube-kit

UWone77
7 March 2017, 20:36
Don't forget a QD end plate, I usually utilitze a single point with AR pistols.

Former11B
8 March 2017, 06:34
For me some considerations:

1. Milspec Lower (so it mates up well with the most variety of uppers)
2. Roll mark you like (you'll likely be married to it for life)

Once you have a few, then you can definitely branch out to whatever you like as the last few I've done are dedicated SBR's/Suppressor Hosts.

Yes. If I was only going to do 1 SBR lower, it would be a forged, Colt, BCM, LMT, KAC, Whatever.

Pretty much these two posts on the money

Aberration79
8 March 2017, 07:45

nVM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ksenter
8 March 2017, 08:40
As easy as a pistol tube is to remove I simply filled down the locating tab of an extra end plate so the tube will thread in. Lower is assembled, spikes lol comes with a pretty cool mag release button. Don't care much for the grip, I'll change it once I can attach a vfg to the upper. Aero your with spikes lpk went together went together like butter.

ksenter
8 March 2017, 08:42
Damn I should have proof read.

Lol = lpk
Aero your = aero upper

BoilerUp
8 March 2017, 20:05
You know you can edit your own posts, right?

ksenter
8 March 2017, 20:09
You know you can edit your own posts, right?

fully aware. However, have not mastered the task using the Tapatalk app while at work, hah!

Thanks though

usbp379
9 April 2017, 06:48
A buddy did his inexpensive lower (can't remember the brand) after verification that it'd work with a variety of uppers. His thought was he didn't want to invest much beyond the $200 tax stamp. Not necessarily the route I'd take but it does give him a useful test mule that he's not afraid to use and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

chrischoi
26 April 2017, 18:39
Whenever I decided on submitting for an SBR, I start shopping for one.

cjd3
28 January 2018, 21:35
Sorry for the thread reboot, but I too am again looking to build a new SBR. I’m sticking with a forged lower, and like to use Rainier Arms (Apex and utilizing their engraving service). My current one is an Aero, but I’m also looking at ZEV, GGP (made by ZEV), and Vseven. Anyone or anything I’m overlooking?

alamo5000
28 January 2018, 21:44
Sorry for the thread reboot, but I too am again looking to build a new SBR. I’m sticking with a forged lower, and like to use Rainier Arms (Apex and utilizing their engraving service). My current one is an Aero, but I’m also looking at ZEV, GGP (made by ZEV), and Vseven. Anyone or anything I’m overlooking?

What kind of SBR are you looking for (5.56, 300BLK, .308) and will it be suppressed? If so what percent of the time? Stuff I've learned more about today has be rethinking a whole lot of stuff regarding SBRs and such.

cjd3
28 January 2018, 22:02
What kind of SBR are you looking for (5.56, 300BLK, .308) and will it be suppressed? If so what percent of the time? Stuff I've learned more about today has be rethinking a whole lot of stuff regarding SBRs and such.

Looking at a 5.56 for this one, 99% supressed with current Omega. Looking at 10.5” or 11.5” and presently favoring the 11.5. Since I already have one SBR in 300BLK, I’m in no time crunch, I’ll pistol it first so I can take both out at the same time when needed.

alamo5000
28 January 2018, 22:30
Looking at a 5.56 for this one, 99% supressed with current Omega. Looking at 10.5” or 11.5” and presently favoring the 11.5. Since I already have one SBR in 300BLK, I’m in no time crunch, I’ll pistol it first so I can take both out at the same time when needed.

When it comes to which lower I can't offer any opinions since my experience is limited and my tastes vary from other people. Just don't get anything ugly with skulls and shit on it [BD] I am kidding of course. If you like that stuff go for it.

My experience isn't very varied so my 2 cents isn't worth a lot when it comes to various brand names.

cjd3
28 January 2018, 22:55
When it comes to which lower I can't offer any opinions since my experience is limited and my tastes vary from other people. Just don't get anything ugly with skulls and shit on it [BD] I am kidding of course. If you like that stuff go for it.

My experience isn't very varied so my 2 cents isn't worth a lot when it comes to various brand names.

But skulls are rad (and the main reason they are not my top choice).

alamo5000
28 January 2018, 22:58
But skulls are rad (and the main reason they are not my top choice).

You might as well get an Ice Ice Baby tattoo.

cjd3
28 January 2018, 23:11
You might as well get an Ice Ice Baby tattoo.

It would go well next to the word to your mother tat

tact
29 January 2018, 03:57
Battle Arms makes a nice, but pricey forged lower.

fledge
29 January 2018, 08:34
Based on what Rainier offers, I’d personally go with a Noveske lower (for the rollmark) or the new Aero M4E1. Aero did a great job with that one.

If you do 11.5 mostly suppressed, make sure you give a look at the Sionics reduced gas port barrel.

BoilerUp
29 January 2018, 08:48
I used the Aero with the american flag on it just so I'd have an easy visual cue to set it apart.

Uffdaphil
29 January 2018, 09:44
I still like Mega Gator forged for SBRs (and other builds). I don’t get BCM, Colt, Noveske or LMT engraved in case I want to sell with a matching upper in the future.

Big_Tom
29 January 2018, 21:06
I would find one that fits any upper well.

But me being me I went with a CMT Slick Side lower cause it was super clean looking. (even for a blem).

If I do another it would be an Aero M4E1 https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black.html

SINNER
30 January 2018, 16:28
I always built complete rifles and never swap uppers. So I usually know I’m stamping it when I start. Never really cared what lower until the integrated ambi features came around.

Joelski
31 January 2018, 03:52
Speaking of ambi- lowers, I wouldn't hesitate to stamp a Radian lower. Pricey but we'll worth every sheckel.

cjd3
2 February 2018, 23:50
Speaking of ambi- lowers, I wouldn't hesitate to stamp a Radian lower. Pricey but we'll worth every sheckel.

I’d Radian each rifle if I could, but CMT works for me for now. And that VSeven is on sale this weekend, so I may jump on that. I’ve managed not to buy any gun stuff all month so far, very proud of myself.

Joelski
3 February 2018, 05:46
Both are great choices!

BoilerUp
3 February 2018, 06:18
I’d Radian each rifle if I could, but CMT works for me for now. And that VSeven is on sale this weekend, so I may jump on that. I’ve managed not to buy any gun stuff all month so far, very proud of myself.

Are you referring to the sale price at RA? Or have you found another V7 sale?

cjd3
3 February 2018, 10:40
Are you referring to the sale price at RA? Or have you found another V7 sale?

RA sale email for $109.