PDA

View Full Version : How many M&P's do you own?

FortTom
2 March 2017, 06:24
I've noticed a serious uptick in M&P owners, in this part of the state anyway, and some folks abandoning Glocks for M&P's. I think the first couple of runs turned people off with their horrible triggers. Since then you can buy a M&P for about $499, locally.

I fell in love with them with the first that I bought. The adjustable back strap did it. They also fit my hands very well. The stock triggers are now bearable, but I have I replaced all three of mine with APEX FSS triggers. IMO, they are the closest thing you can get to a tuned 1911 trigger, in a plastic gun.[:D]

I have 3, a 9mm FS, a .40 FS and a .45 ACP FS. With the exception of the triggers, the only modifications I've made to mine are TFO sights.

My Glocks are getting lonely in the safe, but I appreciate them for what they are, they're nearly indestructible and you can get a pretty damned good trigger for less than $40 - $50. In fact I've got everything except a couple of parts for the receiver waiting for my Polymer 80% to get here from Rainer, which will be a "model 32" (.357 Sig) that I'm dying to get started on.

I'm wondering how many of you own M&P's, or XP's or others, polymer pistols which have caused you to pay less attention to your Glocks.

Although I like the feel of the M&P better than the Glock, I think the "simpler" design of the Glock is better than the M&P. Example: you have to remove the rear sight to strip the M&P slide. I also think that it's much easier to completely strip and reassemble a Glock than a M&P. I guess that's subjective. But sometimes working on a M&P can be a pain in the butt.

So what are your experiences with one vs. the other. Your other doesn't have to be an M&P, maybe an XP or polymer striker fired pistol?

Have you modified, your M&P, other than cosmetic stuff, for performance?

FT[:D]

Jerry R
2 March 2017, 09:13
I have four, three Shields - two 9mm / one 45 - and a 5" FDE 2.0 in 9mm.

One 9mm Shield runs the factory trigger - which was actually acceptable, and a TLR-6. The other 9mm went to Business End Customs for TFX installation and a trigger job. BEC does not replace any of the factory fire control system, they polish, tune (somehow) and work some magic - excellent trigger. The 45 Shield came with a pretty decent trigger. I put TFX Pro sights on it.

I put TFX Pro sights on the FDE 2.0. It has a good trigger from the factory - supposedly S&W does something different on the 2.0 pistol triggers.

KW900A
2 March 2017, 10:11
I have one, a 9mm I bought about 2 years ago. I have put a threaded Wilson combat barrel on it and have been happy with it so far. I don't know that I will but another, I'm fond of the glock 17 and 19.

Stupid me posted somewhere else a few days ago I had a blacklist barrel on it, that was a lie. I was shopping blacklist and had that on the brain

tb417
2 March 2017, 11:49
"Stupid me posted somewhere else a few days ago I had a blacklist barrel on it, that was a lie. I was shopping blacklist and had that on the brain"

I was wondering who you had bribed to be a beta tester.

I only have the one; fs 9mm with thumb safety, milled fit RMR by L&M, and the Apex FSS. I'm really wanting that 2.0 5 inch though.

Pyzik
2 March 2017, 12:09
Pretty sure it's known here I'm an M&P shooter.

Started out with a Glock, didn't shoot it well. Traded it for a SIG, shot it okay. Eventually ended up with an M&P and it just felt right.
I had the trigger cleaned up immediately on all three M&Ps I own so I never really experienced the bad triggers.

Of course they all have serrations too. And stippling, except for the Shield.

KW900A
2 March 2017, 16:06
"Stupid me posted somewhere else a few days ago I had a blacklist barrel on it, that was a lie. I was shopping blacklist and had that on the brain"

I was wondering who you had bribed to be a beta tester.

I only have the one; fs 9mm with thumb safety, milled fit RMR by L&M, and the Apex FSS. I'm really wanting that 2.0 5 inch though.

I can't believe I wasn't called out on it [BD]

Was it worth the $$$ to get it milled for the RMR?

FortTom
2 March 2017, 18:21
I have four, three Shields - two 9mm / one 45 - and a 5" FDE 2.0 in 9mm.

One 9mm Shield runs the factory trigger - which was actually acceptable, and a TLR-6. The other 9mm went to Business End Customs for TFX installation and a trigger job. BEC does not replace any of the factory fire control system, they polish, tune (somehow) and work some magic - excellent trigger. The 45 Shield came with a pretty decent trigger. I put TFX Pro sights on it.

I put TFX Pro sights on the FDE 2.0. It has a good trigger from the factory - supposedly S&W does something different on the 2.0 pistol triggers.

I'd love to know what they do as far as their trigger jobs. I'd guess that's more securely guarded information than Hillary's Top Secret emails. I've never found anything on the 'net on doing a polish and "adjust" for M&P's, but in reality, I've never really searched, either. The Apex FSS are so sweet, that the lazy came out in me, and it was just too easy to install 2 more than bother with anything else. On the downside, comp shooters will find they aren't legal in a lot of classes, and I would dare to say they probably aren't legal in any LEO agency.

I've never fired a Shield. They rent them in a nearby range, and maybe I'll try that sometime, but I'd like to see the new SIG SPF first.[:D]

tb417
2 March 2017, 18:23
I have found that if your pistol doesn't, "point well" you end up losing the dot. Mine presents consistently about 3/8" high. That being said, if the 2.0 points better for me I don't think I would bother milling it.

FortTom
2 March 2017, 18:39
.....I only have the one; fs 9mm with thumb safety, milled fit RMR by L&M, and the Apex FSS. I'm really wanting that 2.0 5 inch though.

My 9mm has a thumb safety. To be honest I wish I could retrofit the other two to thumb safety. I shot 1911's from '75 until the mid 90's almost exclusively. To this day, muscle memory has me still going to the safety upon drawing.[:D]

FT

jbjh
2 March 2017, 22:17
My 9mm has a thumb safety. To be honest I wish I could retrofit the other two to thumb safety. I shot 1911's from '75 until the mid 90's almost exclusively. To this day, muscle memory has me still going to the safety upon drawing.[:D]

FT

I fitted a thumb safety to mine. But that made the Apex trigger a necessity. The addition of the safety made the stock trigger unbelievably heavy. There may be a different stock trigger module that fits with the safety better, but that would seem like an odd design choice by S&W.

I probably have all the info of where I ordered the parts from if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
3 March 2017, 00:52
I've got 5.

UWone77
3 March 2017, 15:04
On a side note.

M&P40 Trade In's at AIM for $299

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SWMP40&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=d577f2a3f6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-d577f2a3f6-19481377

FortTom
4 March 2017, 06:38
On a side note.

M&P40 Trade In's at AIM for $299

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SWMP40&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=d577f2a3f6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-d577f2a3f6-19481377

Damn, they are only a 30 minute drive from here. I have to tell myself "I don't need another M&P", so I can kick myself in the butt, later, for not buying 1 or 2. Also tells me the re-sale value of mine aren't worth diddly.[:D]

FortTom
4 March 2017, 11:42
I have one, a 9mm I bought about 2 years ago. I have put a threaded Wilson combat barrel on it and have been happy with it so far. I don't know that I will but another, I'm fond of the glock 17 and 19.

Stupid me posted somewhere else a few days ago I had a blacklist barrel on it, that was a lie. I was shopping blacklist and had that on the brain

I guess if I needed a threaded barrel, I personally don't mess with NFA anything, anymore, my only option would to buy an aftermarket barrel, but I've found that the OEM barrels that come with them are very good, or at least in my opinion. The Glocks, not so much. I closed a horrible group size (using various factory ammo) in my 19, to about 3.0 .in with a LW barrel, have a KKM in my 23, and just got my barrel for the Polymer80 project in the mail, a KKM match. (I'm hoping the chamber isn't so tight that I get FTF's with it). I've read, but haven't actually experienced that, but I read about it (match grade barrels).

I don't shoot much lead, except in the copper coated stuff that you can catch on sale at Dicks pretty cheap, but I like that option in the Glocks, so the OEM barrels end up going in the junk parts box anyway. [:D]

KW900A
4 March 2017, 13:43
I got a pretty good deal on it so I went for it. I figured if I ever get my NFA stuff done I'd have a pistol ready to go. I like the barrel, but honestly, the difference is not tremendous. I agree, the stock barrel was plenty good. The plan was to keep it on the shelf til I 'needed' it. Then i got bored one day and decided it needed to be put to use.

voodoo_man
4 March 2017, 17:07
Zero.

Unless I'm issued one I won't buy one.

Those which I've shot I've not been impressed with.

Steeles
5 March 2017, 10:49
theres currently 4 in the house if you count the wife's shield. another is off having some work done. one of the full sizes I'm debating selling. the main one i shoot has all the Apex goodies; SDI barrel, aek trigger, duty carry spring kit and some mild work on the frame (undercut and some stippling at the thumb reference points). it's also got the large backstrap from my 2.0 on it.

I honestly hated the finger grooves on glocks, never fit my hand right. and i thought they were just way too plain looking. a few years later I see and feel a good undercut and groove removal and they feel alot better. (shortly after that I found my M&P with the undercut) then I start seeeing the slide work people are doing to them and glocks aren't so ugly anymore. I've always shot them well and well now I don't have any excuses. (I actually now own a glock 19, and not sure what I wanna do with yet. i'm afraid it'll be a rabbit hole my wife and wallet won't like).

So really at this point i like the glock but i wouldn't trade my M&Ps for them. especially the 2.0. but I may move the AEK and Duty carry kit to m compact as it's my edc and get a FSS for the full size that they are currently in. the g19 came with xsbig dot sights i'm not a fan of so I need to replace those and get a holster for it. it may still sneak into my carry rotation...

UWone77
6 March 2017, 01:16
Zero.

Unless I'm issued one I won't buy one.

Those which I've shot I've not been impressed with.

Yeah, it's almost a requirement you have to dump $100 worth of Apex parts into an M&P just to make it shoot like a Glock. The only reason I like the M&P is because it has superior ergonomics (for me) vs the Glock.

FortTom
6 March 2017, 06:40
Yeah, it's almost a requirement you have to dump $100 worth of Apex parts into an M&P just to make it shoot like a Glock. The only reason I like the M&P is because it has superior ergonomics (for me) vs the Glock.
I disagree. A stock Glock has IMO one of the sorriest triggers ever designed, with the possible exception of some of the $200 knock offs, in polymer framed pistols.
I had to spend money so mine wouldn't shoot like a Glock. Also there are a number of trigger kits, and I think people use the name APEX as sort of a generic term rather than a specific kit with specific goals. Sort of like how some people think a coke is any flavor of carbonated soft drink.

I spend money to make Glocks bearable.

I use APEX FSS (specifically) for M&P triggers. They are absolutely nothing like a Glock trigger by any stretch of the imagination. A whole lot closer to a 1911 trigger.

The "duty" , AEK, and other kits APEX sells, well I don't know much about them. Since I'm not on "duty", I don't put much thought into them either.

Stock Glock triggers deserve their place on the right hand of Satan in hell eternal. If it takes $100 dollars to turn your M&P into a "Glock", you should call Randy and get your money back.[:D] Or look at other options, such as the FSS kit.[:D]

UWone77
6 March 2017, 14:20
Glock Triggers aren't the greatest thing ever, but the M&P trigger is flat out garage in my opinion. Too mushy with a non-existent reset. The M&P stock trigger is by far the weakest part on a pretty good $400 gun.

Joelski
6 March 2017, 19:43
The trigger on my Walther p-22 is better than the stock trigger on my Shield. IMO, the only stock trigger better than my P30L is the Legion.

FortTom
8 March 2017, 04:43
Glock Triggers aren't the greatest thing ever, but the M&P trigger is flat out garage in my opinion. Too mushy with a non-existent reset. The M&P stock trigger is by far the weakest part on a pretty good $400 gun.
UW,

Where are you buying them (M&P's) for $400 bucks? Is that a LEO discount or something? They go for $499 anywhere around here.

FT

KW900A
8 March 2017, 05:31
Same here FT. I paid right around $500 for mine also.

UWone77
8 March 2017, 05:41
UW,

Where are you buying them (M&P's) for $400 bucks? Is that a LEO discount or something? They go for $499 anywhere around here.

FT

That's the S&W Version of "Blue Label" $398 all day. I get mine from Quantico Tactical

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=2863&type=M&CMN=Smith%20and%20Wesson-%20LE/Military&CMNum=142&CMSNum=1079&CMSN=MP9%20Pistols

We are proud to participate in S&W's LE/Military/1st Responder program which offers many popular S&W weapons at significant discounts to eligible customers. Eligible customers are:

Military: Active, Reserve, NG, Retired, Medically Retired, and Service-connected Disabled Veterans
Law Enforcement: Federal, State, and Local Active or Retired Sworn Officers
Corrections Officers including Parole and Probation Officers
1st Responders: Firefighters, Paramedics, and EMT’s
Licensed Federal, State, City and Private Security Officers
Commercial Pilots and Federal Flight Deck Officers
Court Judges
District and Deputy District Attorneys

As you can see, the program is pretty broad. In fact MIL gets an extra little love with the rebate on top of that.

FortTom
8 March 2017, 06:21
Damn!...I did not know that, nor can I remember anyone mentioning it. Knew about Glock's "Blue Lable" deal, but not this. Pisses me off, I'm always finding this stuff out after the fact. Anyway, I've got the 3 that I want, a 9, .40, and .45, all FS. Can't use anymore, unless they ever come out with a 10mm, which I seriously doubt is going to happen.

Thanks for the info,

Jerry R
23 March 2017, 12:08
Just the four .......... for now [BD]

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2711&d=1486397673

tb417
23 March 2017, 12:14
I just picked up the 5" 2.0, I didn't realize that the Apex FSS doesn't work in the 2.0...yet. That trigger has spoiled me.

Jerry R
23 March 2017, 13:10
My 2.0 had a surprisingly good factory trigger. Not going to change that one. When you find one for the 2.0, post it up. I'm interested in what you decide.

FortTom
23 March 2017, 17:57
I just picked up the 5" 2.0, I didn't realize that the Apex FSS doesn't work in the 2.0...yet. That trigger has spoiled me.
I've got one (FSS) in all 3 of mine. After the first one I tried, I knew before hand that I would install one in any subsequent purchases, which I did. I've got to "adjust" one. Apex says to use the factory trigger spring for a 3.5 - 4.0 lb trigger. It came in at 2.75 .lb's which for me is way to light for a carry gun. Fun at the range, but dangerous, for my tastes as a carry gun. Didn't know the FSS wouldn't work in a 2.0. Good to know.

GOST
23 March 2017, 19:43
My 2.0 had a surprisingly good factory trigger. Not going to change that one. When you find one for the 2.0, post it up. I'm interested in what you decide.

That's been my experience with the ones I've shot also. The 2.0 is more of an improvement than I originally believed.