PDA

View Full Version : To pistol or not to pistol?

Pyzik
3 March 2017, 05:58
Since I don't have enough things going on and I am just sitting on piles of money.... [BD]

I have been mulling over in my head swapping the SMOS rail out and going back to a pistol.
I was thinking of going 14.5 but now I am thinking 10.5. Since I have nothing short and will have two 16" ARs and an 18" AR.

Anywho, mostly I have been bored sitting here thinking about it and though I'd ramble here.

Dstrbdmedic167
3 March 2017, 05:59
Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtdawg169
3 March 2017, 07:13
Since I don't have enough things going on and I am just sitting on piles of money.... [BD]

I have been mulling over in my head swapping the SMOS rail out and going back to a pistol.
I was thinking of going 14.5 but now I am thinking 10.5. Since I have nothing short and will have two 16" ARs and an 18" AR.

Anywho, mostly I have been bored sitting here thinking about it and though I'd ramble here.
Are you allowed to have an SBR in your state? If yes, I'd say start the form 1 and run a pistol buffer while pending approval.

Pyzik
3 March 2017, 07:15
Are you allowed to have an SBR in your state? If yes, I'd say start the form 1 and run a pistol buffer while pending approval.

I am but I'll be honest, I just don't want an SBR bad enough to pay for a Trust and an additional $200 to the gov.

mtdawg169
3 March 2017, 07:19
I am but I'll be honest, I just don't want an SBR bad enough to pay for a Trust and an additional $200 to the gov.
Bummer. I've really come to appreciate the Vltor A5 buffer system, especially on suppressed SBRs. And I can't get that in a pistol configuration.

Pyzik
3 March 2017, 07:20
Bummer. I've really come to appreciate the Vltor A5 buffer system, especially on suppressed SBRs. And I can't get that in a pistol configuration.

That's a good point. Perhaps if I get into the suppressor game (which I do want to do that) perhaps I'll pony up the $200.

mtdawg169
3 March 2017, 07:20
And once I started shooting SBRs a few years ago, I almost never shoot my carbines any longer. It's usually one of my two SBRs or my SPR. And every now and again, I'll pull out the carbine just to confirm the zero is still good.

fledge
3 March 2017, 07:50

Why can't you get an A5 in pistol configuration?

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system/re-pa5-vltor-a5-pistol-tube/

fledge
3 March 2017, 07:52
Trusts are as cheap as a new rail, Pyzik. So is the tax stamp.

Pyzik
3 March 2017, 07:58
Trusts are as cheap as a new rail, Pyzik. So is the tax stamp.
Well when you have 3 ARs to build, money gets thin. 😂

I really am just not motivated that much to pay extra money to ask permission. Rubs me the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtdawg169
3 March 2017, 08:00
Why can't you get an A5 in pistol configuration?

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system/re-pa5-vltor-a5-pistol-tube/
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! I did not know they were even offering such a thing. I see that they are out of stock currently. Is that a place holder on the website or have they actually sold some?

fledge
3 March 2017, 08:18
I've seen the A5 pistol tube released for a while.

You can also use a normal A5 tube without the brace. There's no ruling I know of that says you can't shoulder a tube. There's not ruling that says you can't use a tube that can take a stock. In fact, one of my pistol lowers is set up to use a stock with the long upper and to remove stock for a short upper. As long as it wasn't designated a rifle first, you can do this.

You can also get the rifle length saber tube by BAD to use with the A5 and not use the stock attachment.

fledge
3 March 2017, 08:20
Well when you have 3 ARs to build, money gets thin. [emoji23]

I really am just not motivated that much to pay extra money to ask permission. Rubs me the wrong way.

There's the rub.

Hopefully ATF will fulfill the rumor of canceling the brace shouldering ruling soon.

Aragorn
3 March 2017, 08:53
Nothing wrong with a pistol. I used to think they were stupid and didn't make sense.... until I shot one. Then I decided they were cool.

I'm building one specifically for travel purposes, something that can fit in a smallish/medium pack and just be dropped behind a seat. Hope to get it built up next weekend. [:D]

mtdawg169
3 March 2017, 09:52

You can also use a normal A5 tube without the brace. There's no ruling I know of that says you can't shoulder a tube. There's not ruling that says you can't use a tube that can take a stock. In fact, one of my pistol lowers is set up to use a stock with the long upper and to remove stock for a short upper. As long as it wasn't designated a rifle first, you can do this.

You can also get the rifle length saber tube by BAD to use with the A5 and not use the stock attachment.

I honestly have not seen one for sale anywhere.

And you sort of touched on some other reasons that I've been pistol-adverse. The whole shoulder/no-shoulder thing and the once a rifle, always a rifle stuff gets confusing.

Uffdaphil
3 March 2017, 09:55
With three SBRs and four shortie uppers I can swap around the one I want on a pistol lower, like Aragorn, to take with me in the truck. Having tried all configs I like the Shockwave best.

Pyzik
3 March 2017, 09:59
With three SBRs and four shortie uppers I can swap around the one I want on a pistol lower, like Aragorn, to take with me in the truck. Having tried all configs I like the Shockwave best.
I like the shockwave. I had a pistol with the sig brace and I'll go with the shockwave this time around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SINNER
3 March 2017, 13:54

That's actually a felony. You can not convert a rifle into a pistol. And you certainly can't switch lowers back and forth at will. And by the letter of the law if you are in possession of a stock that fits a rifle buffer on a pistol you are also committing a felony. Better check the laws before you pay the price.

UWone77
3 March 2017, 14:32
Lowers are transferred as other. Once you make it a rifle, it's always a rifle. If you make it into a pistol, then you can convert it into a rifle, but you can't convert it back legally.

How the ATF knows you've converted back and forth? I don't mess with my gun rights. Those are my cents.

BoilerUp
3 March 2017, 14:33
c
That's actually a felony. You can not convert a rifle into a pistol.

Unless it was built as a pistol first. It's stupid, but you can convert a rifle that was originally a pistol back to its original configuration. And if you own a rifle you can own as many spare parts as you want. And Fledge is correct: if you build a pistol with a carbine buffer tube but never put a stock on it then it was never a rifle.

Edit: the above comment on pistol-rifle-pistol may only apply if built from parts: https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.

gatordev
3 March 2017, 15:19
Dave, any reason why you're stuck on getting a trust? It's a common misconception that if you have an NFA item, it can't be inherited (and/or then sold) if it's not on a trust. In fact there's a form that can be filled out by an Executor that doesn't require any tax paid. It's also perfectly allowable to let others (ie, family members/friends) shoot your NFA item at the range in your presence.

While it's true, technically your family members "shall not" have access to the item at home when you're not there....seriously, there's more important things to worry about. Just my $.02.

bzdog
3 March 2017, 19:59
Unless it was built as a pistol first. It's stupid, but you can convert a rifle that was originally a pistol back to its original configuration.

I'm no lawyer, but this is my understanding as well.

It's probably not a bad idea to have photographic proof.

-john

Pyzik
8 March 2017, 09:42
Lowers are transferred as other. Once you make it a rifle, it's always a rifle. If you make it into a pistol, then you can convert it into a rifle, but you can't convert it back legally.

How the ATF knows you've converted back and forth? I don't mess with my gun rights. Those are my cents.

Unfortunatly here in MI it would be easy to figure out it was never a pistol.
I would have to trade the lower for a new lower.

Still considering it though, as this would fill a gap I have.