alamo5000
8 March 2017, 21:13
I am watching this now. So far so good.

Really good stuff. I'm liking it.

alamo5000
8 March 2017, 21:43
Wow. That was really good stuff.

My inner geek is satisfied. [:D]

I can't wait to watch the next ones they have about profiles. I have always wondered about that.

alamo5000
8 March 2017, 21:50
I think this one and other videos that we find (or come out) should possibly be made as stickies. If they are explaining the essentials of some pretty basic questions (that aren't really all that basic after all) then why not?

A new or old guy can learn a lot of stuff from this. So when they ask 'what kind of barrel should I get'...bam.

This video was definitely right down the fairway for me.

FortTom
9 March 2017, 12:32
I went to college at the University of Dayton, for a MET (Manufacturing Engineer), and you'd be surprised how much has changed since '95 or so. Properties of materials is such a broad subject that it's almost mind boggling, and what is state of the art today, can be old news tomorrow. He did a really good job of explaining how processes such as Nitride, various means of rifling, cutting vs. forging etc., relates specifically to barrels. You wouldn't believe the times I've heard people throw around terms such as MPI, in a gun store, when discussing a "this over that" as if it was something just discovered on the planet Venus, without a clue of what it's use is, and how modern metals and processes rarely have micro structure problems after manufacturing, than say 20 years ago. The guy really knows his stuff, and I'd recommend anyone who is remotely interested, watch that video, which while being a "intro", covers a whole lot of ground, in 30 something minutes. Excellent post![:D]

FT

Pyzik
9 March 2017, 12:54
Okay now I really want to sit and watch it. No time now. Hopefully this evening.

I *think* I've got a grasp on it from my own reading while looking for a barrel for my carbine (ended up with a 16" faxon gunner in QPQ) but look forward to seeing this.

UWone77
9 March 2017, 22:19
Wow. That was really good stuff.

My inner geek is satisfied. [:D]

I can't wait to watch the next ones they have about profiles. I have always wondered about that.

LOL. Had you in mind when I shared that video.

alamo5000
10 March 2017, 05:40
LOL. Had you in mind when I shared that video.

[:D]

Thanks for thinking of me bro! Even if you're thinking I'm a nerd. BWAAAHAAA!!

Really though that video was awesome. Hit the high points and is an actual REAL source that can shut down the 'my uncle went to Vietnam and he says...' internet warrior arguments. Those things muddy the water, especially for new people. Makes it harder to make informed decisions.

If you find more put em up! [adore]

Eric
11 March 2017, 02:15
That was some good information. Looking forward to upcoming videos.