PDA

View Full Version : LANTAC RPS - Ratchet Plate System

GOST
23 March 2017, 05:41

Introducing Lantac's new RPS™, Ratchet Plate System.

The Lantac RPS™, Ratchet Plate System removes the necessity to stake castle nuts in place after fitting. It also provides a QD Sling attachment point directly below the buffer tube.

The RPS utilizes a one piece designed ratchet tooth and arm, machined directly into the anti rotation plate itself. The enhanced castle nut has an aggressive grip pattern and radially machined groves that register with the spring like arm and tooth on the plate, causing the nut to be retained in place.
The nut cannot vibrate loose through firing but can be removed through the use of an armorers wrench if necessary. The teeth and groves are all internal when fitted together so they cannot be accidentally damaged. Lighter weight with additional functionality over the standard design.

Patent Pending. Alignment of grooves is not guaranteed.

https://www.lantac-usa.com

schambers
23 March 2017, 08:02
This design looks to have some potential. Hopefully I can get my hands on one before I move overseas.

I used the PWS system (similar to this LANTAC thing, forget what they called it) for a while and I have to say the PWS was mediocre to disappointing.

GOST
23 March 2017, 08:32
What problems did you have with the PWS? The one I have cost me a little over $20 and has been fine.

Pyzik
23 March 2017, 10:58
This is really cool! While I've never had a castle nut back off (neither do I stake them) I'd opt for this over traditional as long as price is reasonable.

schambers
23 March 2017, 11:21
What problems did you have with the PWS? The one I have cost me a little over $20 and has been fine.

It just didn't secure the buffer tube as well as I would have hoped. Very little difference between using the PWS combo and just applying a lot of torque to the castle nut. Definitely not close to staking. Knowing what I know now, I would rather have just staked a castle nut and been done with it.

The PWS system uses a cylindrical pin to apply friction against angled teeth. The LANTAC design seems like it would provide a much more positive lock up.

GOST
23 March 2017, 11:23
This is really cool! While I've never had a castle nut back off (neither do I stake them)

Even the CMT one?

Pyzik
23 March 2017, 11:40
Even the CMT one?
Right in the feels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SINNER
23 March 2017, 13:24
I was going to say I wonder if this one holds backwards as well...

Pyzik
23 March 2017, 13:30
Everyone is so mean

UWone77
23 March 2017, 14:18
This is really cool! While I've never had a castle nut back off (neither do I stake them) I'd opt for this over traditional as long as price is reasonable.

Not going for funny on this..

But it's probably because you don't put enough rounds down range. They do and will back off if not staked.

Tyrannosaur
23 March 2017, 14:23
I'll try it depending on the price. I hate staking castle nuts...

Stone
23 March 2017, 14:40

But it's probably because you don't put enough rounds down range. They do and will back off if not staked.

Agreed, stake'em they will come loose.

"Alignment of grooves is not guaranteed."[wow]

Pyzik
23 March 2017, 14:45

That's probably true. ~200 rounds a month ain't squat. And the carbine class I took was only about 540 rounds in one day.

Soon, I'll get a membership and be able to pew more. Soon.

Joelski
23 March 2017, 15:20
http://cf.ltkcdn.net/baby/images/std/161179-198x275-Diaper-pins.jpg

The safe space is at the end of the hall. There ae already three empathizers waiting to give comfort and nurturing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/be/8e/ae/be8eae9bc98fcd5348a4b43a139f50f3.jpg

Joelski
23 March 2017, 15:22
I'll try it depending on the price. I hate staking castle nuts...

Prediction: It will be expensive compared to several minutes of cussing.

Default.mp3
23 March 2017, 15:43
I'll try it depending on the price. I hate staking castle nuts...I use an auto center punch. Very easy, haven't had any issues yet.

gatordev
23 March 2017, 15:57

Like pinning a barrel, if it's convenient, I agree it's good to have them staked, but I've found I have far more issues with MIAD screws coming loose than castle nuts. I mean really, is Magpul just having a good laugh when they put that goop on the end of the screw?

(yes I know Loctite is the answer)

Stone
23 March 2017, 16:26
I'm predicting a $99 price tag...

Dstrbdmedic167
23 March 2017, 16:30
I'm predicting a $99 price tag...

I was gonna guess $39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone
23 March 2017, 16:35
I would be surprised if it was that low. I was just using V7's combo as a springboard and they are at $45. Looks like a lot more machining on this thing though...

UWone77
23 March 2017, 16:59
Like pinning a barrel, if it's convenient, I agree it's good to have them staked, but I've found I have far more issues with MIAD screws coming loose than castle nuts. I mean really, is Magpul just having a good laugh when they put that goop on the end of the screw?

(yes I know Loctite is the answer)

Funny you mention this, just noticed a MIAD grip screw coming lose as well.

Stake all Castle Nuts, Pin all Gas blocks. There is no reason not to. That's always going to be my philosophy.

FortTom
23 March 2017, 17:39
Staking is fast, easy and free, assuming you do it correctly. I've never had or seen a castle nut come loose, that was properly staked. Having said that, as soon as I finish typing someone will state that they've seen hundreds of them come loose.[:D]

This, I think, is a over crowded market, desperate attempt at making money by solving a problem that doesn't exist. I'm started to get jaded on "doo dad's" and "widgets".

FT[:D]

Das Jared
26 March 2017, 05:00
Sexy!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

din
26 March 2017, 20:59
I use an auto center punch. Very easy, haven't had any issues yet.

Same, but mostly because it was an excuse to buy a new tool. I've been frustrated by lots of things during a build, but it was never staking the castle nut.

Duffy
27 March 2017, 09:16
I'm going to patent a ratchet system for all the screws that go on the AR.

UWone77
28 March 2017, 05:45
https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Tools-32R02-1-Counter-Punch/dp/B0006Q4I60

Best tool for staking I've used.

Stone
28 March 2017, 14:44
Prick punch works well too, its made for swaging material. https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-236-8-Inch-2-Inch-Prick/dp/B000NNFQDA/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1490737282&sr=1-4&keywords=prick+punch

Stone
11 June 2017, 06:16
Still don't see anything about this on their website. Wonder if they shite canned it...

AaronP220
27 June 2017, 17:13
Still don't see anything about this on their website. Wonder if they shite canned it...

Nope...

Price point will be in the $40 range.

Working on best manufacturing currently but they will be ready and shipping before too long.

Stone
27 June 2017, 18:47
Man, I was way off on that price point...[BD] Medic, you nailed it.

Stone
27 June 2017, 18:49
I'm going to patent a ratchet system for all the screws that go on the AR.

Yep, and we will call it Loktite.:P

Dstrbdmedic167
27 June 2017, 19:55
Man, I was way off on that price point...[BD] Medic, you nailed it.

I got lucky..ish [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk