Weapon System: AR15/ M16

Manufacturer: Daniel Defense

Item Installed: Daniel Defense 7.0 Lite Rail

Purpose of Item: A free floating rail allows for multiple attachment points of equipment, to include optics, vertical foregrips, lights, lasers, and other items. A FF rail also allows for better accuracy by the barrel not being touched by the forearm. For many users, it is more a matter of a stable handguard/ rail that will not rattle or wiggle under hard use than it is absolute accuracy. There are several different styles of Free Float rails. This is a single piece rail as opposed to some which are two piece.

It may be of interest to the reader that Daniel Defense was awarded the SOCOM SOPMOD RIS II rail contract. This rail attaches in the same manner as the DD Lite series of rail, and was shown to be secure, and ran the trials without any incidents or problems. While there might be higher praise for a rail system, I certainly can’t think of it. The military version of this rail includes a detachable lower rail, and mounts for a M203 grenade launcher. Daniel Defense has these available for sale on the commercial market if this is something you find interesting.

Tools Needed:
Vise
Receiver blocks
Barrel wrench
Hammer
Punch
Loctite (new model lite rails come with loctite on the screws)
DD barrel nut wrench

Items Included:
Rail
Allen head cap screws with thread locker
Barrel nut
Barrel nut collar
Rail covers

The Daniel Defense Lite Rail (DD 7.0 Lite) is a Free Floating Rail designed to be installed and used on a standard AR15/ M4 carbine. This guide does not act as a substitute for real world knowledge, and is not designed to turn the reader into a professional “gun plumber”. However, it is my belief that the overall installation process is simple enough for anyone who is familiar with the AR15, and has a basic level of skill with simple hand tools. This is based on my own method of installation, and all liability is with the end user. If you stab yourself, shoot yourself, or find some other manner of getting yourself hurt, you are responsible for your own actions. If you have doubts, get help.

NOTE- The rail used in this installation has been previously installed, as well as used on a training weapon. While you may see scratches or a little wear, this was caused by me, and it isn't how the rail comes out of the box.