Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feed problems

Downloads
    Uploads
    FTF= Failure to feed. Extraction was never a problem. Bolt lock-back was inconsistent. The rifle is a 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system. I'm beginning to suspect that lube/ammo may be the cause. The light loads along with inadequate lube may be the culprit. This is my first AR and my first build (lower only). It will be a while before I can get to the range again, probably not until Friday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    FTF= Failure to feed. Extraction was never a problem. Bolt lock-back was inconsistent. The rifle is a 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system. I'm beginning to suspect that lube/ammo may be the cause. The light loads along with inadequate lube may be the culprit. This is my first AR and my first build (lower only). It will be a while before I can get to the range again, probably not until Friday.
    No worries. Try lube first and then ammo. Use the same mags you used before as well. If neither lube nor ammo help then try a different mag. Keep us posted when you can. Happy shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Glad the USGI mags worked out.

But when you ask a question and retort with some passive aggressive bullshit like "those who worship Magpul".. you might think before you put on your pink hat and search out a "safe space".

There is literally 1000's of hours of expertise on this forum. Most are ready to drop what they're doing and help you out with suggestions and advice. Usually a couple of posts will solve your issue.

Some here worship their own personal God, some their families, some both, and some choose to worship nothing at all, but I can almost guarantee no one here "worships" Magpul. When they try to help, and you snidely shit on them with statements like that, It's a not so subtle message that you have no respect for their experience or help. Side note: Even if they won't feed in your gun, the U.S.M.C. put them through hell and back, and adopted them for their Marines.

Take off your pink hat and join in the forum.

FT
    Oh, we do have someone worshiping Magpul. Hey, if you think for one moment you are going to edit or censor my words or thoughts--i've got two words for you and the second word is "you".. His problem was a Pmag wasn't working for him, read it again if you read at all. The obvious fix isn't more prayers to Magpul, it is try one new thing and see if there is a change. Pull off your burka and try logic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is AR15.com down? Seems like some forum lost their asshole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post

Can't we just all get along?

On a more serious note, let's put the chest puffing away. No need to get too serious about a most likely off hand comment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I'll try lube first. I've never liked to over-oil, but apparently ARs need more oil. I'm pretty much broke for the rest of the month. I needed ammo for all my guns and it's left me short of funds. I'll pull the bolt and give it a decent squirt of CLR. I've been watching some You Tube videos and the consensus seems to be that if it's dripping oil, it's just about right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 67 View Post
    Thanks. I'll try lube first. I've never liked to over-oil, but apparently ARs need more oil. I'm pretty much broke for the rest of the month. I needed ammo for all my guns and it's left me short of funds. I'll pull the bolt and give it a decent squirt of CLR. I've been watching some You Tube videos and the consensus seems to be that if it's dripping oil, it's just about right.
    Frank, don't go overboard with oiling. Especially if you're using NiB BCG's (it'll just sling off). How much you lube depends on what you're lubing with. I don't think it's going to be one size fits all.

I just changed to EWL 2000 for my lube regime, and following instructions, I put a thin coat on everything. One was an AR, the Other a LR-10. When I got home I was amazed that the BCG's were still "wet", but still just about right. I think "oiling until it's dripping" just makes a friggin mess.

Also, dust will cake on to the firearm, in your lower and upper, especially fine, powdering dust, and cause you just as much heart ache as not lubing enough. Just a thought.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Can't we just all get along?

On a more serious note, let's put the chest puffing away. No need to get too serious about a most likely off hand comment.
    O.K., then Buzz Kill.....
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny I come away with the exact opposite issue then most here. Running well at first then stopping would lead me to believe your rifle is overgassed and experiencing a bolt over speed and bounce issue. Unfortunately preassembled uppers in a carbine pattern from little known manufacturers usually use lower end barrels with huge gas ports. As the rifle is loosening up and breaking in its showing the overgassed issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    O.K., then Buzz Kill.....
    Yup. Debbie Downer ruining the Sat night fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny I come away with the exact opposite issue then most here. Running well at first then stopping would lead me to believe your rifle is overgassed and experiencing a bolt over speed and bounce issue. Unfortunately preassembled uppers in a carbine pattern from little known manufacturers usually use lower end barrels with huge gas ports. As the rifle is loosening up and breaking in its showing the overgassed issue.
    Just this last Monday a friend and myself went to the range, and a friend of his met us here to go shoot. He was having this issue almost immediately. After screwing around for about an hour, we took the hand guard off and found that whoever built that upper did a piss poor job with the gas block. They used set screws, but not correctly. They used the type with the point on the end and the gas block turned. We're going to mill flats into the bottom of the barrel, just slightly larger than the set screw about .125 deep and Loc tite the hell out of them. Don't know if the gas block could be the culprit, but if everything else fails, it doesn't take much effort to pull the handguar and check it out.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suspect that I started with the AE 5.56 ammo first. I had thrown some in, on the top of the box before I left for the range. The problems didn't start until I started using the UMC stuff. I read that 5.56 has a bit more pressure than .223, so I'm guessing that I'm getting a short cycle. Just enough to cause the feed issue and lock-back inconsistencies as well. My "dripping" reference was an exaggeration, but I'm thinking I'm running too dry. I've been using Hoppes oil, but I may switch over to CLP to penetrate better. BTW, I didn't mean to start a fight here, so everybody please, go to your corners, calm down, and come out hugging. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stand up Sinner. Reach down there between your legs. Do you feel anything hanging down? If so, next time, have the balls to address me directly with your throw-away post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 55grain View Post
    Stand up Sinner. Reach down there between your legs. Do you feel anything hanging down? If so, next time, have the balls to address me directly with your throw-away post.
    Actually, we're going to throw away your post.

Quit being a Dick. In fact, take some time off and decide if you want to come back in 72 hours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Always a possibility as well. Similar condition that some guys see when they run suppressed and increase the back-pressure. Some malfunctions are a PITA to diagnose without having the rifle in front of you.