Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but what do these sights do that a set of DD can't for half the price? If I am missing a feature that makes them better then I am all for the extra cost.

If anyone says weight less I will respond with hit the gym and stop talking. No, seriously, weight has nothing to do with my carbines and how I set them up.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but what do these sights do that a set of DD can't for half the price? If I am missing a feature that makes them better then I am all for the extra cost.

If anyone says weight less I will respond with hit the gym and stop talking. No, seriously, weight has nothing to do with my carbines and how I set them up.
    I used to think worrying about weight that much was for sissies.... Then I put a SPR barrel, bipod and Weaver Tactical scope on a rifle and it sure got heavy quick.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Removes money from your wallet faster.

Downloads
    Uploads

Please follow this link to see the whole story.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://scalarworks.com 1-844-556-1913

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Removes money from your wallet faster.
    Well if that is the case then sign me up............
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalarworks View Post
    Please follow this link to see the whole story.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/
    OK, Interesting read...... Do you guys give a MIL discount?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Was there a WEVO discount on these? I need these for a short barrel build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, Interesting read...... Do you guys give a MIL discount?
    Thanks.

We do have an active duty military & law enforcement program. You can apply here: https://scalarworks.com/mil-le/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dumb question, but I saw that you designed the sights for a radius of 15", which I take to mean you've sized the aperture/post for that distance? Is there anything wrong with using it on a longer radius?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonScatter View Post
    Dumb question, but I saw that you designed the sights for a radius of 15", which I take to mean you've sized the aperture/post for that distance? Is there anything wrong with using it on a longer radius?
    Yes, the post has been sized accordingly. The aperture diameters are unchanged from A2, as their distance from the shooter's eye hasn't changed.

The OPS work great on longer and shorter rifles. The longer the radius the smaller the MOA/Click gets. On shorter rifles you still benefit from a slimmer front sight post .

The instruction cards for the sights include a formula to calculate the exact MOA/Click adjustment of any sight radius.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am impressed, these sights appear to be quite well thought out. There's a lot more than meets the eye, I appreciate you guys go through the details to highlight the design impetus, I came away more educated, and I'm going to use the lessons learned here for Forward Design

The web page for the sights remind me of an Apple product page. Right blend of relevant pictures, and succinct, to the point descriptions. We do the same thing on our site, Design in Focus, to illustrate the finer points of why things are shaped the way they are, why something is there, or absent. You guys do a better job at this

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I am impressed, these sights appear to be quite well thought out. There's a lot more than meets the eye, I appreciate you guys go through the details to highlight the design impetus, I came away more educated, and I'm going to use the lessons learned here for Forward Design

The web page for the sights remind me of an Apple product page. Right blend of relevant pictures, and succinct, to the point descriptions. We do the same thing on our site, Design in Focus, to illustrate the finer points of why things are shaped the way they are, why something is there, or absent. You guys do a better job at this
    Scalarworks has everyone beat from a design perspective IMO. Everything is product focused and there's no fluff - brilliant job!
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

Downloads
    Uploads

SCALARWORKS OPS Fixed Front and Rear Sights

I ran these last week at the range. Overall I love them. And with my MRO running further back, the open aperture is practically invisible when looking at the dot and target.

Two areas of concern. 1) the aperture flip is very light. They have a subtle snap into place but easily move. I wrote Scalar about this, asking if I could increase the tension. They replied:

" The tension is definitely less than some other designs, but we tested it on guns that loosened our fillings and none of them would flip the peep under recoil.

Unfortunately there is no way to tighten or loosen that. The spring would have to be replaced with a higher rate one. Please give the sight a try on the range and let us know how it goes. We've got your back either way."

I believe them regarding recoil and I didn't experience any shift at the range on an 11.5 556 SBR.

That leads to 2). When the aperture is flipped forward, moving it from the small Precision view to the large CBQ view, the precision aperture extends beyond the body of the sight. That is, the top of the aperture is exposed. Because of concern 1, I'm not worried about recoil. I'm more concerned about other obstacles, debris, brush that easily move along the top of the receiver, up the ramp of the rear sight and flip the aperture back. Since the tension is loose, a small twig or clump of grass can move it.

Because my MRO sits in front of the sight, the MRO will act as a barrier to the sight in most instances.

With the current design, the only remedy I see is to switch the precision and cqb apertures. That way, with interference, the cqb is the default. In a serious situation, I have more time to flip sights when I need precision than I do in a close quarter scenario.

Perhaps there is something I'm missing in the overall philosophy, but I thought it worth mentioning for those interested and for future R&D purposes.

Pic for reference:

Last edited by fledge; 31 May 2017 at 13:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do they accept the standard size aftermarket front sight posts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hoping to get a set to use on my SBR. I'm always a fan of companies that design products with the end user in mind.
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9