Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have aftermarket triggers in all of my rifles. I just gave the hammers away. If I need another BCG I'll check them out. Hope the quality didn't go down with the price.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You won't find many people around here falling for gimmick products that are a cure for a problem that does not exist.

I'd go with either of these and not look back.

https://www.cmttac.com/AR_Components?product_id=151

http://fathomarms.com/product/black-...roup-mil-spec/
    Yeah I get what you're saying, but extrapolate that idea further and the bcg's you pointed out are fairly unnecessary as well, seeing as how basic phosphate parts have worked forever, and those are pretty cheap these days. I can remember not too long ago you had to drop around $150 to even get what was considered a pretty nice yet basic bcg, like BCM or take your pick. If I can get one of those for $70-80 (not necessarily BCM), why bother paying more?

Just playing devil's advocate.

To your recommendations though, the enhanced version from Fathom looks quite a bit like what I had in mind. I'd rather have nitride/melonite over a coating that could potentially chip off if I had my druthers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sure one could say I've wasted a bunch of money on BCGs, but I try a lot of stuff out on various builds to satisfy my curiosity. I personally will never use a phosphate BCG ever. I don't care that they work and are basically cheap compared to a coated BCG. Too many years of having to clean them in the military and unfortunately the duty rifle has one. I just hate phosphate. Additionally, I shoot primarily suppressed anyway. I've ran the gamut of NiB, TiN, nitride/melonite, Cryptic coating variations, Mad Black coated, and even a couple of titanium models shooting the price even higher. I've even had the inside of uppers coated. I really can't say I have any brand loyalty so it doesn't effect my choices. All in all I feel their is a benefit to some level of a lubricious property added to metal parts that move on other metal parts whether suppressed or not. Beyond that I wouldn't say that one coating is far superior over another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will add my 2 cents in here but a lot of people here have way more experience than me. I can only speak from my own experiences.

I started out with a plain phosphate BCG. Naturally it worked great. All mil spec from a excellent supplier. Eventually on some of the friction areas it wore off the black stuff on there.

Fast forward quite a while and I too got some spare/back up etc BCGs. One was CMT Nitride and the other was Griffin Nitride. Neither use C-158 (or whatever the mil spec material is).

The first thing I noticed was that the BCGs were MUCH smoother and better polished up. This was primarily due to the better machining (and finishing) and partly due to the treatment. In other words a junky machined BCG won't be as smooth as one that basically gets polished up before they are done.

I personally could see and feel the difference between the phosphate one and the other two. The others cycle waaay smoother. It's noticeable.

Up until now I have seen zero problems but I can tell you this much... I see a benefit to running nitride. It is a treatment not a coating. They get the metal how they want it and then harden the crap out of it. If the black stuff wears off so what. The metal properties of the treated metal are still GTG. You also can use less lube merely because of the combination of quality machining (and finishing/polishing) and the nitride treatment. Personally I think the polishing part plays a bigger role but together those two make a hard to beat combo.

If you nitride a piece of crap it will still be a piece of crap. If it's not smooth before treatment it won't be smooth after. Take that for what it's worth.

In either case though both phosphate and all the others make the gun go bang all the same, the differences though are with those (quality) nitrided parts that have been finished properly everything just runs smoother. It was enough to be noticeable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Too many years of having to clean them in the military and unfortunately the duty rifle has one. I just hate phosphate....
    Yeah Tact...errr...ahhhh... yeah. Something like that...sounds familiar..

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 23 April 2017 at 17:39.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You won't find many people around here falling for gimmick products that are a cure for a problem that does not exist.

I'd go with either of these and not look back.

http://fathomarms.com/product/black-...roup-mil-spec/
    Bumping this thread as its close enough for my question..

Been looking and haven't seen any enhanced fathom bcgs around, but looking at the blacklist e-bcg it appears the same?

Any info