Downloads
    Uploads

Hodge Defense AU-MOD 2 (Review Up)

Review coming soon.
    Last edited by JGifford; 25 May 2017 at 22:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's near the end of the month, and I promised a thorough review. To understand the rifle a bit, I want to give a little background as to who the man behind it is, and how and why it came about.

Jim Hodge is a veteran who used to, on deployments, ask himself "What would I carry...if I could make it? Any way I want it to be? If I were king for a day...?"

Over the years after these thoughts, Jim became involved in the industry in many ways, typically doing R&D and joint ventures that people never found out about. The volume of this can be seen in the MOD 2, and came to light because of the MOD 2. Inventions that normally would have never shown his fingerprints, such as the Wedgelock rail, constant taper profile barrel from FN using a proprietary steel, the Badger G3 charging handle, the Badger safety selector and the retro tear-drop FA, among other things, are all projects that he has worked with to perfect for his rifle. Even the gas-block is made to his spec's by SLR. The upper and lower receivers are the only forged, Ambi, integral-trigger-guard receivers that I am aware of. To that end, the use of the particular AlLi alloy is exclusive to Hodge Defense, and was a joint venture between him, Alcoa, and MEGA. In short, the MOD 2 and it's thermally fitted barrel and other unique features and parts, is not a "parts gun" just because the parts come from different companies that specialize in making them, just as the Corvette Z06 is not a kit-car just because the engine and transmission come from different factories.

Now, on to some specifics. Part of the design criteria for the Hodge gun is that it be "combat durable". To that end, I have been following several guns using the same bolt as the MOD 2, and have yet to find one broken, even in 50k+ rounds. As to barrels, I know of at least one gun with a similar round-count that is still A-zone at 50+ yards. The gun absolutely is an energizer bunny due to the barrel steel used, and the BCG used. The bolt is a 9310 unit that is QPQ'ed. it is my theory, that the QPQ treatment is part of what is responsible, as the military has tested DSL and found that the added lubricity greatly enhanced bolt life due to reducing friction on the back of the lugs during extraction while the bolt was under thrust. This makes perfect sense, and QPQ also lowers the coefficient of friction between the barrel extension and bolt...as well as making the parts very easy to wipe clean.

The second criteria, is that the rifle perform well both suppressed, and unsuppressed, without the added complexity and failure point of an adjustable gas block. To this end, I measured the gas port on my rifle, and it was 0.074". I am running a Vltor A5 extension on my MOD 2, with a Sprinco Green Spring, and Vltor's lightweight buffer. Here is how it performed, in slow motion, both suppressed and unsuppressed, using 55gr .223 Gold Dot:

I found it very pleasant to shoot either way, but several people at the range shot it suppressed, and the reaction was distinct. They could not believe how soft/smooth it shot. One person remarked "It's not even like shooting a gun, more like an Air-Rifle". All of the uber-retro Hodge "Smooooth" ads seem on-point.

The next thing that comes to mind is the craftsmanship. The upper and lower look MADE for each other, as they should, and the lines flow together very nicely.

Most lowers with integrated trigger-guards leave the trigger-guard somewhat plain, some don't even seem to "break the edges" on them. This is just one more area where attention to detail has been accounted for.

The next thing that everyone wants to know, is...is it accurate? Most magazines and reviews use 5 or even 3 shot groups. I do not. I used 3, 10-shot groups for my official accuracy testing of this rifle. They are typical of it. I have yet to find a rifle that will not accurately fire 75gr Gold Dot, and that is what I used for this review, as well. Here are the 3, 10-shot groups fired at 100 yards during the accuracy portion of my evaluation. I fired them using a Leupold MK6 1-6 w/TMR-D reticle, mounted in a Geissele SR25 mount. (*This mount/optic were not zeroed for this rifle, hence the group placement)

This is very acceptable for a chrome-lined barrel that weighs the same as a USGI M4 barrel, and I suspect as I shoot it more, it will settle in and group even tighter.

Getting back home for cleaning, I noted that the rifle does not foul nearly as rapidly when fired suppressed as other AR-15 type rifles I have shot. I believe this has both to do with the Surefire suppressor, as well as the properly tuned gas system that prolongs the lock-up time just a hair, due to not being as overgassed when suppressed, and helping to keep the blow-back corked up in the barrel just a little longer.

Another thing I would like to address is how long it TOOK for me to get this rifle. It's no secret by now that the Hodge guns are sought after (most production runs sell out within 24 hours), as well as produced in very small amounts. There is a reason for this. #1, Jim Hodge does a lot of consulting work for a lot of companies. He doesn't just sit in the basement building rifles all day, so to speak. Second, the MOD 2 is not the only project he is working on . Third, Hodge Defense is a small operation. It consists of Jim Hodge, and a small group of local veterans, who hand-assemble, thermal fit, etc. the rifles one at a time. It is not a mass-assembly operation. Finally, Hodge Defense is a solvent company. They do not have debt. Any. At all. All guns/parts are fully funded by Hodge Defense before they ever build them. This means there is no debt to float until a run of rifles sells. This is not the "get rich fast" method, but what it IS, is the "market forces do not determine our solvency" method. It's something I have rarely heard of from smaller companies, and kudos to Jim for chasing the same thing in his business model as his rifle model: survivability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hodge Defense MOD 2, Suppressed:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the review on the unicorn. Looks like a very nice rifle.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Thanks for the review on the unicorn. Looks like a very nice rifle.
    Always, speaking of Unicorn, before anyone asks about muzzle-device, it is a Warcomp CT (customer supplied, not standard on the MOD2 at this time)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a standard Warcomp that's not nearly hard to get as the CT, and I have been pleased with it. For VFG I would recommend a Unity Tactical, I like mine better than their Magpul counterparts.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that a Larue MBT? How do you like it?
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that a Larue MBT? How do you like it?
    I am not a LaRue guy, but this is my favorite trigger so far. I prefer it to the SSA's I have used in the past. It's just...a really good trigger. I use the included "Heavy" spring.

*My trigger, not what the Mod 2 comes standard with.
    Last edited by JGifford; 26 May 2017 at 05:26.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a standard Warcomp that's not nearly hard to get as the CT, and I have been pleased with it. For VFG I would recommend a Unity Tactical, I like mine better than their Magpul counterparts.
    The standard WC performs the same as this one, although it has a BIT of a ring, and suppresses flash better, and weighs an ounce or so more. THose are the main differences.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard about this ringing issue with WC's and just have to ask; is it really noticeable with ears on? Obviously, it was detected somehow, but can it really light up your position, or is it more of a nuisance to those nearby (with ear pro)?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I've heard about this ringing issue with WC's and just have to ask; is it really noticeable with ears on? Obviously, it was detected somehow, but can it really light up your position, or is it more of a nuisance to those nearby (with ear pro)?
    I have the CT WC, and a regular WC. I would chalk it up to "annoying for people with STRONG OCD, if you slam the muzzle into a metal pole, or close the bolt". Keep in mind, I can hear my Nightforce Unimount ring when I drop the bolt-stop...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha. It probably wouldn't bother me at all unless it triggers me to tune in on my tinnitus. Too much unprotected exposure to loud dirt bikes, and pro audio gear.
    Nevermind all the shooting without ear pro.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Gotcha. It probably wouldn't bother me at all unless it triggers me to tune in on my tinnitus. Too much unprotected exposure to loud dirt bikes, and pro audio gear.
    Nevermind all the shooting without ear pro.
    I highly doubt it would bother you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot a Warcomp on a select-fire lower a couple of weeks ago and I was disappointed. It didn't feel any more compensated than a -212A, but with the added concussion of a brake if you stood on the right side of the gun. Just seemed to be something with no better payoff, but additional annoyance (and with obviously a modern suppressor mount system).

I really wish SF would release a non-Warcomp SOCOM-compatible closed-tine/birdcage mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim Hodge has weighed in and corrected a few things on another forum, as pertains to my review:

Couple corrections...
    First, I'm not a veteran, never served in the Military...although I did deploy many, many times for various government organizations.
    Second, upper, lower, handguard, gas block, pivot and take down pins, forward assist, and barrel are my architecture. The bolt catch, was co designed, the charging handle was per my request, as well as the BCG, and selector is to my spec.

I am a small company, with a crap ton on my plate. I wish I had more time building, I enjoy it. Folks will likely see an FN variant of the mod-2 sooner than see one from me, although I am starting to develop another mod-2 run. I personally shoot a mod-1 built with the same components as a mod-2...reason most mod-2's are all gone, and I still need "demo/show" guns, so therefore I don't feel so bad thrashing a mod-2.

Thank you WS6 for the kind words.

Cheers, Jim Hodge
    Thanks for taking the time to post Jim. A few questions, will the FN guns be built to the same standards and tolerances as the HDSI guns? Also do you plan on using AlLi on future wedgelock rails or is it too cost prohibitive.

Ref FN, yes and no. The FN guns will use my receivers, handguards, and obviously barrels, so yes in that regard. No in the way of some of the small details...mass industrialization won't allow it. The AlLi in the rail was waaaayyy too expensive, and not worth the squeeze in return of weight. We still are doing Ti barrel nuts, and 7075 T6 HG's.

I have read some of the earlier posts about the lack of production coming out of my shop. I understand how some can come to that conclusion, though rest assured we are going stronger than ever. For those folks, please understand we do much more than build guns for the commercial market. I would love to do more, as I enjoy it, though HDSI has other projects that keep us busy as well as gun building. Cheers...