Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Thompson. Oh absolutely, I wont argue that. Even if its minimal its still something. But it seems to me that if a pistol was dropped in the heat of battle and that piece broke and then didn't allow for a mag insert or took 5-10 seconds to dislodge or rip it off it becomes a wash or a liability at that point. To me, self defense is reducing variables. When I introduce things that increase variables I only decrease my limit to the point of diminishing returns. I may have an odd view to products that come along but the first thing I ask myself is "what can go wrong with it" What are its weak points and is this a need or want.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I know you can argue more practice and training, but under stress, it's all about the gross motor skills.
    I tell people this all the time haha

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    @ Thompson. Oh absolutely, I wont argue that. Even if its minimal its still something. But it seems to me that if a pistol was dropped in the heat of battle and that piece broke and then didn't allow for a mag insert or took 5-10 seconds to dislodge or rip it off it becomes a wash or a liability at that point. To me, self defense is reducing variables. When I introduce things that increase variables I only decrease my limit to the point of diminishing returns. I may have an odd view to products that come along but the first thing I ask myself is "what can go wrong with it" What are its weak points and is this a need or want.
    Never looked at it that way, but you do have a fair point.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see this all the time on the speed drill portion of our quals. Guys are trying to get through as many mags as possible, and they sometimes fumble with getting the mag inserted. I know a magwell would help in that situation. I know you can argue more practice and training, but under stress, it's all about the gross motor skills.
    This is always an interesting argument, and one that I'm not sure has a definitive right and wrong answer. There was a pretty good article on Vuurwapen a few years ago about this, too. The posit is that if you train enough, when under actual stress, the stress affects the individual much less than it would otherwise. Personally I think there's some truth to that argument, but it may not apply to everything and everybody all the time.

But look at a race car driver or pilot. Professions that require fine motor skills for specific precision inputs in what can be a stressful situation. But generally, the paid (and successful!) professionals have trained enough that they're able to maintain that dexterity in those situations. The caveat, of course, is that not everyone is equal and some of those people just may not be as good to begin with, so there will always be a spectrum.

All that said, for the first stage of a match (because that's the most stressful shooting situation that I have access to, thankfully), I still feel the adrenaline pumping, even when practicing/training very regularly. I am able to control it because I train a lot, but it's still there. Maybe I don't train enough, or maybe the initial argument still has some level of truth. I'm guessing it's both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after several shooting sessions with this, I can't recommend it. It's just too small for any practical purpose. It's just barely bigger than the existing magwell.

gatordev, I personally don't shoot enough handgun for my tastes, but I shoot a lot more than your average LEO. I've personally haven't had difficulty manipulating my weapon whether it requires gross of fine motor skills during my "gunfighter" training. However, if something like a magwell can make that average or below average LEO and shave a couple tenths of a second off, then I'm all for it. Obviously a magwell can't make up for skills.

Name:  5S3A5453.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  769.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after several shooting sessions with this, I can't recommend it. It's just too small for any practical purpose. It's just barely bigger than the existing magwell.

gatordev, I personally don't shoot enough handgun for my tastes, but I shoot a lot more than your average LEO. I've personally haven't had difficulty manipulating my weapon whether it requires gross of fine motor skills during my "gunfighter" training. However, if something like a magwell can make that average or below average LEO and shave a couple tenths of a second off, then I'm all for it. Obviously a magwell can't make up for skills.
    As with everything, we all come at it from our own perspectives. I can certainly understand your logic for the "less than average" LEO. That said, I still don't really see how this particular device changes any of that, and it would appear you've come to the same conclusion after obtaining actual hard data.