Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    You'll make back your membership fee, plus within the span of one build, plus if you source everything from RA, you won't make the mistake of buying a garbage part by mistake. Where you really save is shipping; having the ability to buy a couple small parts without a shipping hit tends to speed up time between orders as you aren't making a list so your shipping fee counts.

Toolcraft BCG's are another one the diehard Colt guys swear by. Do yourself a favor and spread the build out over time if your budget is small. Buy once/cry once is firmly in play in the AR world. If you are going to shoot it once and put it away, then fine; buy a cheap gun. If you are going to be training, shooting often for any reason or most importantly, letting your kids fire it, don't risk getting hurt with cheap, bottom of the barrell pricing, knock-off parts, or non-standard (Mil-Spec) parts.
    i swear i just saw a bunch of toolcraft bcg's somewhere, but now i can't find them. i'm guessing somewhere in the $100 range?

and would it help if i posted what i was thinking of going with so that people can tell me if i'm on the right track with parts? I've been doing my research as much as i can, but wouldn't mind a few extra opinions from someone with more experience.

my lower is an anderson stripped lower with BCM enhanced LPK (includes PNT trigger). magpul CTR buttstock, and some no name buffer tube spring and buffer combo that was like $22...might regret that later...we'll see.

my upper as of this moment, is looking like the aero precision upper, 15" aero quantum mlok handguard, 16" ballistic advantage mid profile government barrel, spikes melonite gas tube, trinity force micro gas block (which i'm second guessing at the moment so input would be helpful), standard a2 birdcage, still looking for a quality and not as expensive bcg, and radian raptor CH (because i have to have an ambi CH...#leftyprobs) and they're sexy. mbus sights.

thoughts?
    Last edited by poimen; 8 May 2017 at 12:37.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    found a bunch of different ones on monmouthreloading.com...
    http://www.monmouthreloading.com/sho...k-nitride-bcg/ a hair cheaper

Downloads
    Uploads
    can anyone recommend a 15" M-lok handguard that doesn't use the BAR platform? i was looking at the aero ones and talking with some people that have installed them and it sounds kind of like it's a pain in the butt to shim it just right to get the gas port to line up just right. i'm looking at staying around $80 (if that's possible).

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the best bang for the buck 15" M-LOK handguard I've seen.

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-st...ok-handguards/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks great, but a little more than i was gonna pay for a rail. that's like 2 or 3 extra visits to csl plasma...lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    can anyone recommend a 15" M-lok handguard that doesn't use the BAR platform? i was looking at the aero ones and talking with some people that have installed them and it sounds kind of like it's a pain in the butt to shim it just right to get the gas port to line up just right. i'm looking at staying around $80 (if that's possible).
    This is why I recommended a complete upper from Aero. No installation problems.

Also their complete uppers use Enhanced uppers so there is no barrel nut timing anyway. The barrel nut is machined into the upper. Just slide the handguard over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is why I recommended a complete upper from Aero. No installation problems.

Also their complete uppers use Enhanced uppers so there is no barrel nut timing anyway. The barrel nut is machined into the upper. Just slide the handguard over.
    I know. But it's also like twice the cost. For that price, I'll wrestle with it myself.

I know, I know "then quit complaining". I agree. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know. But it's also like twice the cost. For that price, I'll wrestle with it myself.

I know, I know "then quit complaining". I agree. Haha.

Honestly, an $80 handguard is going to be crap. But since you said you can't afford a lot of ammo, any handguard will probably suffice for breaking the gun out twice a year to pop off a few mags.

How are you putting the upper together? You borrowing the tools?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Honestly, an $80 handguard is going to be crap. But since you said you can't afford a lot of ammo, any handguard will probably suffice for breaking the gun out twice a year to pop off a few mags.

How are you putting the upper together? You borrowing the tools?
    Only thing I need to buy is an armorers wrench and the upper vice blocks, I've got everything else I would need at this point. I've got a buddy with a vice and I have roll pin punches already from the lower build. I don't need the fancy guisele roll pin starter punch. I can just use a pair of needle nose pliers. Lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only thing I need to buy is an armorers wrench and the upper vice blocks, I've got everything else I would need at this point. I've got a buddy with a vice and I have roll pin punches already from the lower build. I don't need the fancy guisele roll pin starter punch. I can just use a pair of needle nose pliers. Lol.

If you are going that route for sure then invest in a roll of masking tape too. You could easily leave a good set of idiot marks (that we have all done before) if you don't.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If you are going that route for sure then invest in a roll of masking tape too. You could easily leave a good set of idiot marks (that we have all done before) if you don't.
    Haha well yeah. I actually used electrical tape when I did my lower. It was a little thicker and stayed in place better than masking tape did. Didn't want to take any chances. Worked pretty well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And for 80 bucks you are going to find it difficult to find anything decent. I would think you might be able to find something second hand that is fairly decent. About 150 and you can get something decent probably if you're going new.

At that low of a price ($80) you are really rolling the dice. If you DO manage to find something new it has about 50/50 chance of being either a piece of junk or completely out of spec.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I honestly don't know of a 15" M-LOK handguard cheaper than the Faxon, even the UTG cost more.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    This all sounds like a train wreck. We've all done one before. Make sure you post pics of all the idiot marks and fuck ups.