Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is why I recommended a complete upper from Aero. No installation problems.

Also their complete uppers use Enhanced uppers so there is no barrel nut timing anyway. The barrel nut is machined into the upper. Just slide the handguard over.
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    I know. But it's also like twice the cost. For that price, I'll wrestle with it myself.

I know, I know "then quit complaining". I agree. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you are missing the boat here myself. UW knows what he is talking about. Those Aero uppers are the way to go. I can afford to get other stuff but even I have been eyeing those. The cost really isn't that much difference.

In the long run your patience now to spend a little bit extra for key parts will save your ass a lot more money later on. Tuck away another $50 or $100 for the project and then you can be way more happy with the end result.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This all sounds like a train wreck. We've all done one before. Make sure you post pics of all the idiot marks and fuck ups.
    Same feeling here.

Saving an extra $100 to go towards better parts will pay off ten fold in the big picture.

Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.

I am an advocate for building but in some cases just buying a rifle is a better deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the time it's a lot cheaper to buy a complete rifle, seen several of decent quality for around $500. But I'm loving this, DMG pics are not influencing this project at all. Reminds me of trying to convince my wife of something. When setting off quick burn combustion right in front of your face always go as cheap as possible.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started buying parts for a premium upper lower combo last year. Lower is cake to put together. I'm handing off the upper to someone experienced with the proper tools. Then I can finally post a picture of a build on this board, even if it's just a sad iPhone pic without the greatest lighting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Most of the time it's a lot cheaper to buy a complete rifle, seen several of decent quality for around $500. But I'm loving this, DMG pics are not influencing this project at all. Reminds me of trying to convince my wife of something. When setting off quick burn combustion right in front of your face always go as cheap as possible.
    What's "DMG"?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    What's "DMG"?

GOST thinks we are just a bunch of nuthuggers ... inside joke

Downloads
    Uploads
    This isn't exactly the best crowd to ask for shoe-string budget recommendations.

A couple of thoughts: wait for ALG/Geissele to have a good sale (Memorial Day?) and pick up an ALG EMR https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-mod...-v1-m-lok.html .
    Browse the EE on some of the other high volume sites for used, older generation stuff
    Buy some random chinese crap off of gun.deals, Amazon, or Sportsmans guide and hope for the best, but expect that there is some probability that your $80 handguard will eventually become scrap metal and didn't save you anything in the long run. Then again, you may get lucky and be perfectly happy with it - it's not like aluminum extrusion, CNC machining, and anodizing are rocket surgery technologies known only to the illimunati.

Frankly, the M4E1 uppers are about as simple and idiot proof for new builders as it gets: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ard&highlight=

The combo (upper + Handguard) can be had very reasonably priced: http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.co...MBO-EM-BLK.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    This isn't exactly the best crowd to ask for shoe-string budget recommendations.

A couple of thoughts: wait for ALG/Geissele to have a good sale (Memorial Day?) and pick up an ALG EMR https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-mod...-v1-m-lok.html .
    Browse the EE on some of the other high volume sites for used, older generation stuff
    Buy some random chinese crap off of gun.deals, Amazon, or Sportsmans guide and hope for the best, but expect that there is some probability that your $80 handguard will eventually become scrap metal and didn't save you anything in the long run. Then again, you may get lucky and be perfectly happy with it - it's not like aluminum extrusion, CNC machining, and anodizing are rocket surgery technologies known only to the illimunati.

Frankly, the M4E1 uppers are about as simple and idiot proof for new builders as it gets: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ard&highlight=

The combo (upper + Handguard) can be had very reasonably priced: http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.co...MBO-EM-BLK.htm
    Yeah I've noticed this isn't quite the crowd for budget builders. But whatever. I get the impression that everyone thinks I'm looking for the cheapest stuff that's the cheapest quality but I'm not. I'm looking for the best deals on the quality stuff they use. I know aero and ballistic advantage aren't the top tier or anything, but they're not bottom of the barrel. BA says they guarantee sub MOA...(with match ammo)...so that has to say something for their quality. The $80 hand guard isn't pressed cardboard like they've got in their minds, it's just last years model.

I'm hoping Memorial Day is gonna wow me with deals. I'll definitely check out that EMR, but what is the EE site that you mentioned?

Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The aero build is the best/most cost effective unless you really bargain shop, sometimes it pays out or not. But as said we've all been in your spot..

Primary arms always has deals

Ar15 dot com has a big for sale/buy/trade section (EE= equipment exchange)
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 11 May 2017 at 04:37.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We're all on a budget. Everyone just has a different view of what that is. Plenty of guys here have posted some budget builds. Even I have a few somewhere in the armory. Don't get too wrapped up on the word budget. It's not a negative thing. Budget AR's have also changed a lot over the years. When I first bought an AR, you couldn't get one unless you paid $1200 for a Bushmaster. Then sub $1000 guns were budget, then came $700, and now sub $500.

Don't get too emotionally invested in your purchases. Everyone naturally wants to defend their buying. I get it, I see it all the time. Which is why you'll see guys claiming that all you're buying is a "name" Sometimes that's true, but other times it is not. At least you are honest with your shooting. You posted you can't afford much ammo, so you'll probably just be shooting paper/dirt a few times a year. In that case, any AR15 will probably suit you just fine. I've helped several coworkers put together PSA and Aero guns that fit this same bill.

Not MLOK, but I have handled these and they are decent.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mat...ma-foxtrot.htm

However, there is a lot more to hand guard prices than just being "last years model."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly

Also here's a much better deal then a $85 guess , fde aero rail for $100, , also he has some good deals on aero upper/rail combos if your still avid on the DIY way..I have ordered a bunch from here and never a problem.

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...erakote-29-993

Downloads
    Uploads
    The EE is "equipment exchange" on another forum, one which you will not be as well received as you are here. Basically you say "hi, I'm here to try and bui.... "
    They scream "colt" and it goes down from there.

That being said the EE has amazing deals if you're diligent on looking and know what fair market values are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    The EE is "equipment exchange" on another forum, one which you will not be as well received as you are here. Basically you say "hi, I'm here to try and bui.... "
    They scream "colt" and it goes down from there.

That being said the EE has amazing deals if you're diligent on looking and know what fair market values are.
    Haha thanks for the warning. The only issue I'm having getting into ar15.com is that they don't take "free" email addresses. I've always used gmail for everything. I might have to get one thru Verizon if I want to get something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's referring to M4Carbine.net. The focus of many is on battle-ready and boringly reliable rifles which sucks the fun out of the room. Still, Colt is the best value available right now. At under $700 you can get a full rifle that needs only a Magpul handguard, stock, and rear sight.

That said, you've been given fantastic options above and many have taken their time to find you items in line with your descriptions. I would thank them regardless of the direction you go. And it sounds like you should save a little more for known quality before jumping in or find a cheaper hobby.