Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    He's referring to M4Carbine.net. The focus of many is on battle-ready and boringly reliable rifles which sucks the fun out of the room. Still, Colt is the best value available right now. At under $700 you can get a full rifle that needs only a Magpul handguard, stock, and rear sight.

That said, you've been given fantastic options above and many have taken their time to find you items in line with your descriptions. I would thank them regardless of the direction you go. And it sounds like you should save a little more for known quality before jumping in or find a cheaper hobby.
    I fully appreciate the help everyone has given, don't get me wrong. I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful. But I think people misunderstand when I say I can't afford to spend every weekend shooting the amount I want to shoot. I have a family and I spend a lot of time with them. I'm sure they don't feel the same about range time as I do. Having a family also means sometimes putting their needs ahead of my own (crazy I know). But I don't have a job that has crazy amounts of expendable income like it sounds most of you have. I'm a noob just trying to get my feet wet building a quality firearm for the least amount of money possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fully understand having a family, cheerleading practice and competition has eaten a big chunk of my range time. Keeping the girls happy beats shooting any day of the week. I also do not have a big collection of guns, I spend more on ammo than I do guns.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Fully understand having a family, cheerleading practice and competition has eaten a big chunk of my range time. Keeping the girls happy beats shooting any day of the week. I also do not have a big collection of guns, I spend more on ammo than I do guns.
    That's my plan too. Which is the reason for making sure I'm getting something quality for a low price so that I don't have to do it over in a couple years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're like me you'll probably do it over anyways. I SBR'd my last so that I wouldn't sell it.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    If you're like me you'll probably do it over anyways. I SBR'd my last so that I wouldn't sell it.
    Hahaha who am I kidding. I'll probably build more after I'm done with this one. Eventually. When my wife cools down from me spending so much money. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    I fully appreciate the help everyone has given, don't get me wrong. I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful. But I think people misunderstand when I say I can't afford to spend every weekend shooting the amount I want to shoot. I have a family and I spend a lot of time with them. I'm sure they don't feel the same about range time as I do. Having a family also means sometimes putting their needs ahead of my own (crazy I know). But I don't have a job that has crazy amounts of expendable income like it sounds most of you have. I'm a noob just trying to get my feet wet building a quality firearm for the least amount of money possible.
    Believe me man. There are very few if anyone here that has an unlimited budget. And a whole lot have greater commitments than their gun hobbies. Trust me we all get it.

As for building the gun I think it's not so much what you are thinking IE throwing unlimited money at projects etc. I for one started as a brand new noob to the AR world.

I think the biggest idea here is to basically not get a piece of junk. Whether it be a trigger or a scope mount or even back up sights the guys here know their stuff. A bunch use firearms along with their profession.

I think the main idea here that you're missing is that we are going for the best bang for the buck, not always the biggest blingy thing out there.

If you want a gun that you can run fast and hard or that you can hand off to your kid 15 years from now...well then there you go. Yes you can and most of us do build guns that are budget based but money is far from unlimited. Speaking only for myself I was thinking a lot bigger picture in taking my time to put together good stuff.

Pretty much it took me way more time to get things that I wanted/needed. I saved up a little nest egg and then supplemented it from there. People here are sometimes spreading out builds over 6 months or a year. All of us just see the end result... some really bad ass gun in some awesome photo.

Basically put don't be shy about slowing down and tucking away $20 or $50 here or there and waiting on a great sale. If I had to buy everything all at once in all of my rifles there is no way I could have done it.

The urge to want a gun 'right now' is one thing... but if you're building don't be shy to slow down and do it right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can I ask what some of the first time gun builders spent on their first build? And what key components they went with?

Downloads
    Uploads
    First one I built I spent about $1,700. Best money was spent on the trigger.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can I ask what some of the first time gun builders spent on their first build? And what key components they went with?

I saved for about 2 years and ended up spending around $1500 bucks not including optics.

The caveat to that is I didn't go into it trying to do a budget but quality build. I went for an entirely different spectrum of firearm with a specific purpose so I used some more premium parts to meet my goals.

If I had wanted to do an all around backyard general purpose gun I could have gotten away A LOT cheaper without sacrificing a lot in terms of reliability. I probably could have been out the door for 750 to 1000 bucks depending on if I wanted optics or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahaha who am I kidding. I'll probably build more after I'm done with this one. Eventually. When my wife cools down from me spending so much money. Lol

You will.

Building gets in your blood as much as any other hobby. The same goes for all of our other "Man Folk" stuff, it doesn't matter if it's cars, guns, knives, cameras, guitars, shit that blows the EFF up!, or what, the bottom line is a lot of the fun is in the planning, purchasing and waiting on it to get here stage. Gratification. We can only masturbate so much.. I mean Alamo doesn't count because he's a masturbatory sensei and UWOne, simply by mentioning he has an armory (Believe that), should only be spoken to via a Temple of some sort. :notworthy:

We simply all enjoy the putting together and talking about new things. Cheap doesn't automatically equal crappy garbage with this group. That's what you don't find at other places around the interwebs; a lot less judgement and a lot more useful advice, even if it's critical.

The Colt AR has been the gold standard... from 1960 until 1995 when guys with lathes and mills and mold-ramming skills starting making the mousetrap better. Now its just a solid, dependable rifle that says "Colt" on the rollmark. Some people bristle with offense if you cast any aspersions at Colt, but they aren't the be-all, end-all as evidenced by the diversity of Govt contracts awarded to other manufacturers.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, you seem to like it, so stick around.

UW: One ultra-dramatic 13 year-old in track AND Softball, just finished Bball season! Who needs stress inoculation? Just getting from place to place on time is a good enough challenge!
    Last edited by Joelski; 11 May 2017 at 14:54.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

I paid $500 for a slightly used Colt AR 15 in 1984. That's the cheapest AR I've ever owned.

I did my SBR lower for about $450 catching sales on everything and an Andro Corp 14.5" upper that was $350, so around $800. Since then, I've replaced everything and the only thing left from the Andro upper is the barrel and receiver on my gray man carbine. Buy cheap and upgrade later works to get you shooting, but costs more in the long run.

I've always called them payday rifles. I've built all of my rifles part-by-part, never all at once, from payday to payday. That does 2 things for me; it keeps my plastic clean (I've never purchased any hobby items on credit) and I am motivated to save, or scrimp on lunch in order to get that special part I have to have vs. what I need.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL Budgets are meant to be shattered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    LOL Budgets are meant to be shattered.
    Haha I agree, which is why I'm only using the card csl plasma gave me to buy parts...that way my wife doesn't see how much I'm actually spending. Does that make me a bad person? Haha.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, but asking your wife for permission on how to spend your hard earned money does.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Nope, but asking your wife for permission on how to spend your hard earned money does.
    Touché...I walked into that one. But at this point, she's the one that makes sure there's money for food in our house. If she didn't keep me and my spending in line, we'd be broke, but I'd at least have all the really good parts for my rifle already. Haha.