Downloads
    Uploads

Delving into the world of AK variants

My 10th wedding anniversary is coming up and the wife wants to get me something special. I have three ARs and several shotguns, handguns and a few nice hunting rifles But, I've never had an AK, so... I asked her to get me an AK.

Seeig as this is something that I'm going to have for a while, I don't want a cheaply made one with canted sights or reliability issues. I reached out to the one guy I know personally that has a decent AK collection. He said to look at Arsenal (which I had been). He also suggested Palmetto State Armory's PSAK Liberty (with machined front trunion). The price difference is only $100, but the PSA has a lifetime warranty whereas Arsenal is only 1 year. The Arsenal I'm looking at is the stamped SLR, imported from Bulgaria and made 922r compliant. The PSA is all US made from what I understand.

I looked at Krebs, but can't stomach the money. I'd like to keep it at or just below $1,000. Any and all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My dad built an AK from a PSA kit and said he wasn't at all impressed with the quality of the components. I know he has a VEPR and an OPAP, which were probably the basis of his comparison.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well that's not what I wanted to hear. Leaning toward the Arsenal all the more now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd take a seriously look at the Molot Vepr FM-AK47-11, for sub $1k I don't think there is a finer AK variant on the market.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I'd take a seriously look at the Molot Vepr FM-AK47-11, for sub $1k I don't think there is a finer AK variant on the market.
    While very well built (as is any VEPR) they are heavy, lack some "normal" AK features (like a cleaning rod) and take non-standard (RPK) furniture. I currently have 3 VEPRs including a FM-11.

If I had to buy one AK tomorrow to dip my toes in the platform, it would be an Arsenal SLR-107-11. It's about as standard AKM as you can get.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    While very well built (as is any VEPR) they are heavy, lack some "normal" AK features (like a cleaning rod) and take non-standard (RPK) furniture. I currently have 3 VEPRs including a FM-11.

If I had to buy one AK tomorrow to dip my toes in the platform, it would be an Arsenal SLR-107-11. It's about as standard AKM as you can get.
    After much consideration, I ordered the SLR107-11 from Copper Custom. Seems I was jist in tome, as they're out of stock now (everywhere but a few overpriced on GunBroker).

Hopefully I will enjoy it.