Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

308 Frankenstein

Hi WEVO'ers

This is my first thread strarted here. So I would like to say hi and introduce myself. To start Im from Texas, enjoy the outdoors and sports, and have way too many hobbies. Have any questions? You just have to ask them.

I just finished my latest build that took about 2 years (Yea you read that correctly). Life gets in the way at times and like I said earlier I have way too many hobbies. One of those hobbies is photography, mostly of firearms and firearm related. Especially since my wife's Nikon wasn't being used as often since our son was born. I see there's a lot of photographers here so any advice is appreciated. I have no experience in the field but I'm willing to learn.

This ain't no dating site, so enough about me. Let's get on to the 308 Frankenstein. I have always wanted a large frame AR. So when I found a good deal on a receiver set I knew it was a sign to start.

Name:  TC8.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  627.4 KB

Lower Receiver Group

- Aero Precision M5 Lower
    - Damage Industries Teflon deter and spring kit
    - Magpul MOE grip
    - AP take down and pivot pins and bolt catch
    - Armalite Mag Catch
    - Radian Weapons Talon safety
    - Geissele SSA-E trigger
    - Vltor AR10-A5SR buffer tube
    - Magpul ACS-L stock
    - Armalite AR10 action spring
    - Spikes Tactical ST-T3 buffer

Upper Receiver Group

- AP upper
    - Centurion Arms 308 14" CMR
    - Mega Arms 16" barrel
    - Faxon bcg
    - Odin Works adjustable gas block
    - BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    - Magpul Mbus sights
    - BCM Gunfighter 308 comp
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome and that's a good looking rifle.

Curious..How heavy is the rifle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any plans for optics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Any plans for optics?

Yeah. I'm looking at going with a Primary Arm 4-14x44 DMR HUD. I've heard good things about it. And like the reticle. And mounting it with a Larue QD mount.

If I can catch a better scope with a illuminated reticle on sale I will go with it.
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Welcome and that's a good looking rifle.

Curious..How heavy is the rifle?
    As right now I have not weighed it. But I'm guessing close to 9-9.5lbs. I'll get a more accurate weight later tonight.
    Last edited by Big_Tom; 13 May 2017 at 12:25.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to WEVO Tom. Nice looking rifle. Who did the cerakote?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Welcome to WEVO Tom. Nice looking rifle. Who did the cerakote?
    Thank you I had a local guy do it.

Just weighed it and came in at 9lbs 1oz unloaded

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool , Thanks.

A 16" 308 is on the need list...lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome, and great build. I would save up a bit more and go with something in the Vortex lineup. This is a respectable build deserving of such

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Jared View Post
    Welcome, and great build. I would save up a bit more and go with something in the Vortex lineup. This is a respectable build deserving of such

Yeah I just was thinking that myself. I'm ok with just using irons for now. I got a Blitzkrieg chevron for like $10 so Im curious to see how I like it. So far when dry firing I do. My headspace gauges should be here by the end of the month. So I will definitely post range report then.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well found some gauges locally. So I had a little time to get the gas adjusted and it sighted in.

This is a 5 shot group I did once sighted. Was using 147gr FMJ Perfecta ammo with a 10-15mph left to right crosswind 100yrds.
    Name:  IMG_5991.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  3.79 MB

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting, how could such a beauty of a weapon be photographed without an optics? It needs a great rifle scope of its quality and then I will advise you after mounting the rifle scope, retake the picture and see the beauty of that ammo for your self. If I would suggest a rifle scope, then I will definitely suggest you go for best snipers scope. For example, Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24X50, or Millette 6-25X56 and many others that will bring out the beauty of that ammo and serve it better. meanwhile, what is the weight of that rifle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanHo View Post
    interesting, how could such a beauty of a weapon be photographed without an optics? It needs a great rifle scope of its quality and then I will advise you after mounting the rifle scope, retake the picture and see the beauty of that ammo for your self. If I would suggest a rifle scope, then I will definitely suggest you go for best snipers scope. For example, Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24X50, or Millette 6-25X56 and many others that will bring out the beauty of that ammo and serve it better. meanwhile, what is the weight of that rifle?

While I agree with you that the rifle needs some glass up top, I appreciate the challenges of shooting with irons at distances 100yrds or greater. The scopes you mentioned are very good scopes, but with this build I didn't plan on shooting at ranges greater than 700yrds. It is meant to be used for a hunting/range rig. The range area I use at my home can go up to 750yrds but the time to set up would take too long for my liking. Especially since I go shoot whenever I feel the urge, and 300-500 yrds can be done on the run. So I feel that a 6-25x56 scope is way too big for purpose of this rifle. I'm leaning towards a good 3-12x40 or 4-16x44 sized scopes.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanHo View Post
    That list of "best snipers scope" ... should have been best budget scopes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That list of "best snipers scope" ... should have been best budget scopes.
    X2. I'm personally a huge fan of Vortex, but a far cry from "best". The Millet is laughable at best.