Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

barrel dimpling?

how important is it to have a dimpled barrel for indexing purposes? and if your barrel isn't dimpled, and you add a non pinned gas block, how likely is the gas block to come loose? for that matter, what is the best way to attach a gas block that has the 2 set screws on the bottom without a pre-dimpled barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dimples aren't for indexing but help to hold the gas block in place in case it gets bumped or the rifle takes a tumble. Depends what you are doing with the rifle, if its a range plinker and your rail covers the gas block you will be fine without dimpling or pinning. Just make sure you Loctite the set screws. If you think you will defend your home or life with it get it pinned. All of my rifles are dimpled and pinned. I have the jigs from BRD engineering. As far as lining up the gas block, just put a witness mark on the block and one on the barrel. Line them up and tighten down the screws and you will be GTG.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could be wrong but I think the dimpling has more to do with better securing the gas block than indexing. I bought a dimpling jig so I could dimple my barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The dimples aren't for indexing but help to hold the gas block in place in case it gets bumped or the rifle takes a tumble. Depends what you are doing with the rifle, if its a range plinker and your rail covers the gas block you will be fine without dimpling or pinning. Just make sure you Loctite the set screws. If you think you will defend your home or life with it get it pinned. All of my rifles are dimpled and pinned. I have the jigs from BRD engineering. As far as lining up the gas block, just put a witness mark on the block and one on the barrel. Line them up and tighten down the screws and you will be GTG.
    Thanks for the info! I might just pay the extra $40 from BA and have them pin a block on for me. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what I would do, pinning it makes it rock solid. I use their gas blocks, good stuff.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    how important is it to have a dimpled barrel for indexing purposes? and if your barrel isn't dimpled, and you add a non pinned gas block, how likely is the gas block to come loose? for that matter, what is the best way to attach a gas block that has the 2 set screws on the bottom without a pre-dimpled barrel?
    I would definitely recommend at minimum dimpling the barrels. It's not hard to do. Many companies make simple jigs to do it. When I bought my rail and other components from SLR they actually offered to dimple my barrel for me (it was a ballistics advantage barrel).

Pinned is superior but dimpled is sufficient for recreational shooting provided everything is done right. None of mine are pinned (yet) but I have only had a problem once where my gas block came loose and that was because everything wasn't tightened down properly and loctited into place. It was a very simple fix but the point is that it did come loose.

No dimple for me would be not a good idea.

Dimple is sufficient for most average shooters considering that you use loctite or some other form of thread locker. A single shot might not cause problems but repeated fire could rattle the screws loose.

Pinned is the best but not as easy to accomplish without a gunsmith to help out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info! I might just pay the extra $40 from BA and have them pin a block on for me. Haha.

You won't find anyone doing it cheaper (pinning), which is why BA is always a fantastic option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Haha maybe for my next one, for now, I think this is best left to a professional. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha maybe for my next one, for now, I think this is best left to a professional. Lol

Good thought process Some things are easy to do yourself but other things are best left to the pros.

I am also with UW on this one. If BA will pin the block for you you will be good to go. That's the best route.

If you are going M-Lok though whatever your rail choice is you might want to make sure to check the inner diameter of the rail. For example SLR has very slim rails and with a full size gas block it can cause binding of mlok accessories up around your gas block. Don't freak out too much about it but it is a known flaw when all the stars align with the right components to make it happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Good thought process
    If you are going M-Lok though whatever your rail choice is you might want to make sure to check the inner diameter of the rail. For example SLR has very slim rails and with a full size gas block it can cause binding of mlok accessories up around your gas block. Don't freak out too much about it but it is a known flaw when all the stars align with the right components to make it happen.
    Thanks for the tip! I think I'm gonna end up going with the aero gen 2 quantum. It uses that BAR barrel but which looks like it makes the handguard a little wider than most. I think it should be alright.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Ya I've seen these and the poplar BRD kits..I've always wanted to take a gas block and make my own, but haven't yet..lol..I'm ginger stubborn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dimple is solely for indexing. Any force strong enough to remove a set screw gas block isn't going to care about whether or not it's dimpled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    The dimple is solely for indexing. Any force strong enough to remove a set screw gas block isn't going to care about whether or not it's dimpled.
    Exactly.

This is why I'm like... why do people double dimple.... eh. I've seen several manufacturers do this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    The dimple is irrelevant to indexing, that's like saying you need the dimple to index. A properly lined up gas block is achieved whether it is dimpled or not. On a non dimpled barrel the set screw contact is decreased and there is no way to achieve the torque needed to bite in deep enough to prevent it from moving if bumped with force. A light tap with a hammer on a non dimpled barrel will move it. Now sink that set screw into a hole and you have increased its holding power three fold if not more. Simple physics, resistance.

Non dimpled- Worst
    Dimpled- Better
    Pinned- Best