Downloads
    Uploads

16" barrel gas port/length talk

Just spit balling and bored but in a 16" muddy 556 gun what is the desired gas port size. I know there could be a lot of variables.. Let's say no suppressor and like xm 556 ammo

Also mid length is the norm it seems like..but why not more intermediate length 16" barrels?

Int. length I'm assuming you would want a adj. gas block

I'm bouncing ideas for finishing up an upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Huh...out of stock ..but that's an interesting looking barrel..kinda want

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I think I have one of those somewhere installed on an upper.

Anyhow, gas ports for 16" can be all over the place. Might want to just get an adjustable gas block, such as Superlative.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was kinda my next question who is using a adj gas block, and is it worth it on a 16" middy if no suppressor

Measured this BA barrel and I get around .067-.069

over thinking probably but I'm bored and curious, ideas for a softer shooter
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 16 May 2017 at 01:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any info on the rainier adj blocks?

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...off-800-black/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Any info on the rainier adj blocks?

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...off-800-black/
    Superlative is producing them for RA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was kinda my next question who is using a adj gas block, and is it worth it on a 16" middy if no suppressor

Measured this BA barrel and I get around .067-.069

over thinking probably but I'm bored and curious, ideas for a softer shooter
    I've got Sentry SLR 7 AGBs on two 16" mid barrels, one of which is a lightweight build with a pencil barrel, and the other is a 6.8 SPC. The SLRs are the cat's pajamas, but both rifles ran reliably with standard gas blocks but were just a bit over gassed plus there is a lot of variability in 6.8 ammo. With the SLR, I have been able to tune each perfectly for the ammo being shot.

If you aren't shooting suppressed, then the Black River Tactical CustomTune Gas Port is another option that should get you to the same place. http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tune-gas-port/ However, I noticed on the BRT website that they suggest .076 for a 5.56 mid, so I'm not sure that will do anything for you if your barrel is .069.

You might just want to throw a cheap low pro on it and see how it shoots before spending the money on fixes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks boiler..

The thread is kinda all over, sorry just rambling thoughts that I need to write down somewhere..then I get out of control like Alamo..but it's okay..

The size I was referring to was this 16" middy barrel I have right now, and I was curious if a adj gas block is worth anything. I'm assuming not on this one.As the $60 difference would probably better spent on a vltor a5 setup

But the 16" -int. idea was also a curiousity with adj blocks being needed or not..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also mid length is the norm it seems like..but why not more intermediate length 16" barrels?

Int. length I'm assuming you would want a adj. gas block
    Because you need dwell time for maximum reliability. Although intermediate or even rifle length gas will work fine for most shooters if they're using 5.56 or even hot .223. Start using weak .223 and/or shooting in really cold temps and you'll start to see issues with the longer gas systems. Adjustable gas systems don't add any gas to the gun, they can only restrict it. If your gun is overgassed, that's when an adjustable gas block makes sense, regardless of the length of the gas system. Intermediate or rifle length 16" barrel is less likely to be overgassed though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks , still interested in this.

Some more options for 16"/int gas are coming just heard that Lantac will be soon be selling their 16"/int barrels that they run on their Ravens separately soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks , still interested in this.

Some more options for 16"/int gas are coming just heard that Lantac will be soon be selling their 16"/int barrels that they run on their Ravens separately soon.
    What's so special about a 16" int gas length? Don't see the advantage/appeal over mid or rifle even..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    The appeal is a softer shooting setup.. Just somethingq I'm curious about..I had a 18"/rifle gas a while ago but it was heavy but softer recoil then a mid. Just after a nice flat shooting setup.Just after something different and I'm intrigued..

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you can't handle recoil. Got it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    So you can't handle recoil. Got it
    Lol..don't get it twisted mr bone...